Author Topic: Drafting for Tutelage  (Read 2482 times)

Drafting for Tutelage
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Part of Bradley's recent success can no doubt be credited to Ray Allen and Rondo, and the wisdom and example they have shown him.

While Bradley and Allen have different games, Allen is the prototype 2 guard, and Bradley has undoubtedly learned a great deal about moving without the ball, catching and shooting, staying confident and focused, and approaching the game with steady cool and professionalism.

So much so that the transition from Allen to Bradley is right on track, if not already complete.

When JJohnson was drafted last year, it looked like a great match with Garnett mentoring him. The two seem to have clicked, and Johnson has been absorbing whatever he can from Garnett. However, the transition from Garnett to Johnson will not be as seamless as the Allen-Bradley transition, to the point that Johnson may have little or no impact on draft choices come June.

When looking at the pool of prospects likely to be available in the first round, what potential matches do you see as far as mentor/trainee situations for the Celtics?

I can see Moe Harkless learning a whole lot from Pierce, for example.

I can see Tony Wroten coming into an ideal situation for him to be tutored by the much more poised Rondo, although such a pick would not fill a top need by any means.

Do you see any other potential good matches that will utilize the wisdom of the Big 3 before the retire, to help ease the transition to the future?

Garnett/Moultrie would be a great one, not that Moultrie is likely to drop that far.

Rivers/Rivers could be a good mentor relationship, perhaps.

Re: Drafting for Tutelage
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe if Royce White is what they say he is him and Pierce.
Personally I like bringing in Euros, because I think they actually bring some wisdom to the team.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I know we already have 3J, but I think Andrew Nicholson is a guy who could turn into a really nice player.  Him and 3J as students to KG would be fantastic in my opinion.  Both are hard workers who already have silky-smooth offensive games.  I f they can get some of KG's defensive intensity, then we might have ourselves a sweet PF rotation for the years to come.

My guess though is that Danny is going to move up in the draft(whether it's 2 firsts for 1 first, or 2 firsts and 1 second for and even higher first).  If we get to trade up, my assumption is that we go for either Moultrie or Henson.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66QmiB0xj4

I love this Nicholson mix, and the soundtrack grew on me as well.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I prefer to draft for talent and let the coaching staff worry about the tutelage.

While I think Ray and Rondo have helped Bradley, I still think its the coaching staff and Bradley's raw talent that have made him into what he seems to be becoming.

So as far as this draft, just take the best talent and person available.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Some interesting draft order possibilities over the last couple of games.  Denver, Orlando and Dallas are all in play to overtake the C's and thus move the Celtics to #20 or maybe even #19 in the draft.  The Clips could get overtaken by Atlanta and Memphis, giving the C's #22.