Author Topic: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: C's draft Royce White and CJ Leslie  (Read 11989 times)

Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: C's draft Royce White and CJ Leslie
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 05:58:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I see Crowder getting talked about being a potential role-playing 3,  who provides defense and three point shooting but I don't think he's a lock to be a solid defender on the perimeter.  He played center most of the time for Marquette and while positions are very fluid in college, it still meant he basically never guarded quick wings.  If he had the athleticism of his hair doppelganger Kenneth Faried, then maybe, but he's only an average athlete.  I don't see him moving his feet well enough laterally to be that good of a defender.  Also, he plays hard but Faried's motor runs much higher.

Moultrie's draft status is an enigma.  At the same time, it's just mocks and he could end up going in the mid-first round. 

That aside, I think his age has something to do with it as, after transferring from UTEP and sitting out a year, he's four years removed from high school.  He also started playing at UTEP so while he was on draft radars for his athleticism and size, he didn't have as much helium and exposure coming into this season.  Other things: his motor can run hot and cold (it's not special), he's not a particularly skilled offensive player (I think his points are coming to come from dumps off around the rim, alley-oops, putbacks, maybe some jumpers), nonexistent shotblocker.  If he drops into the twenties, I wouldn't mind him for his potential to be a rotational big who are hard to come by, even second bigs off the bench.

He's different from JJJ though.  JJJ was even skinnier, a poor rebounder and overrated defender beyond his shotblocking.  JJJ is much more skilled though.  On paper, as second unit pairing, they fit pretty well.  One provides rebounding and garbage plays, the other the ability to make shots and better shotblocking. 

Moultrie's been improving and my guess is he'll go earlier than projected.

Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: C's draft Royce White and CJ Leslie
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I see Crowder getting talked about being a potential role-playing 3,  who provides defense and three point shooting but I don't think he's a lock to be a solid defender on the perimeter.  He played center most of the time for Marquette and while positions are very fluid in college, it still meant he basically never guarded quick wings.  If he had the athleticism of his hair doppelganger Kenneth Faried, then maybe, but he's only an average athlete.  I don't see him moving his feet well enough laterally to be that good of a defender.  Also, he plays hard but Faried's motor runs much higher.

Moultrie's draft status is an enigma.  At the same time, it's just mocks and he could end up going in the mid-first round. 

That aside, I think his age has something to do with it as, after transferring from UTEP and sitting out a year, he's four years removed from high school.  He also started playing at UTEP so while he was on draft radars for his athleticism and size, he didn't have as much helium and exposure coming into this season.  Other things: his motor can run hot and cold (it's not special), he's not a particularly skilled offensive player (I think his points are coming to come from dumps off around the rim, alley-oops, putbacks, maybe some jumpers), nonexistent shotblocker.  If he drops into the twenties, I wouldn't mind him for his potential to be a rotational big who are hard to come by, even second bigs off the bench.

He's different from JJJ though.  JJJ was even skinnier, a poor rebounder and overrated defender beyond his shotblocking.  JJJ is much more skilled though.  On paper, as second unit pairing, they fit pretty well.  One provides rebounding and garbage plays, the other the ability to make shots and better shotblocking. 

thanks for the good analysis, tp.

moultrie and crowder seem to fit with the mid to late 1st types that ainge likes, historically at least.

such players are not "complete" and have some limitation in their game/skills/physical abilities. that is why they lasted until later in the draft. examples would be rondo, perk, tony allen, bradley, et al.

but, in the right system and with the right coach and the right team mates, their strengths are highlighted and weaknesses limited or disguised. the trick may be to get such players who can fit with the celtics system.

for moultrie, not rebounding well might play out two ways for the celtics.

1. since doc doesnt stress rebounding, he fits right in. ;) rather, this is may not be a fatal flaw. perhaps he winds up like bass in this area, not averaging high numbers but able to corral 5-6 rebounds a game.

2. doc pairs uses him away from the basket more since he seems to be a good perimeter shooter. (44.4% 3pters in college career) this draws away the pf defender and lets celtic guards, who do rebound fairly well, do some of the job.

the more troubling part of moultrie, according to draftexpress, is he doesnt seem to play good team defense. again, he may be like bass in this area. but who knows? maybe doc can teach him, motivate him, to learn and play better there. it worked with ray allen at least.

i think there will be a number of interesting and potentially good players available when the celtics pick....i just wish the clippers would start losing a lot more.  >:(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva