Author Topic: Could this draft be a repeat of the 1984 draft of Jordan  (Read 10202 times)

Could this draft be a repeat of the 1984 draft of Jordan
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I've been thinking that there seems to be a similarity with the upcoming draft and the 1984 draft in that the consensus #1 pick has been an incredible college player, and is easily the best big in the draft, as was Hakeem Olajuwon in 1984.

Of course Michael Jordan went at #3 that year while all eyes were focused on Hakeem:

"We wish Jordan were seven feet, but he isn't. There just wasn't a center available. What can you do? Jordan isn't going to turn this franchise around. I wouldn't ask him to. He's a very good offensive player, but not an overpowering offensive player." - Rod Thorn, then Bulls General Manager, after selecting Jordan with the third pick in the 1984 NBA draft.

Of course Hakeem is one of the best players of all time, and maybe Anthony Davis could turn into one too, but given a choice of Hakeem and Michael in retrospect, I think everyone would choose Jordan.

I've been thinking that maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist might be the Michael Jordan of this draft, and might turn out to be the best player to come out of the 2012 nba draft. 

Thoughts??

Re: Could this draft be a repeat of the 1984 draft of Jordan
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
not that good. ..but best we've seen potential in a long time

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
when given a choice of a top-of-the-line big man and a top-of-the-line wing --- take the big man every time.

Houston made the right move with Hakeem although if they were really smart, they'd have traded  with Chicago to either deal Sampson for Jordan and change or trade them the first pick so Chicago could take Hakeem (since they had Sampson) and they take Jordan with the 3rd pick and get another asset to boot.

Houston could have had either Hakeem, Jordan and other Chicago assets (because at that time Sampson would have been valued much higher than Jordan) 
OR
Sampson, Jordan and other Chicago assets.

Houston would have racked up a load of titles if Jordan had been paired with either of them from the start.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I've been thinking that maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist might be the Michael Jordan of this draft, and might turn out to be the best player to come out of the 2012 nba draft. 

MKG is a little more Gerald Wallace than Michael Jordan...

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I do like MKG, he is very solid.  What a tough thing to live up too though, being compared to Michael.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
austin rivers is jordan

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
austin rivers is jordan

I'm starting to think nobody in this thread knows who Michael Jordan is.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 02:47:26 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
austin rivers is jordan

I'm starting to think nobody in this thread knows who Michael Jordan is.

ha ha, TP!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
First of all... I think even knowing what we know now... I think taking Hakeem 1st in that draft was probably the best move.  If i'm running a team and I have an option between arguably the most skilled center of all time and Michael Jordan, I probably taken my chances with Hakeem.  You might suggest this is nuts...  Jordan was a god.  The best player ever.  But a lot of his success had to do with situations and circumstances.  We simply don't know if he would win 6 titles without also having a Scottie Pippen (criminally underrated player).  It's fair to note that during JOrdan's first three seasons (despite his ridiculous stats), the Bulls failed to even play .500 basketball.  They posted losing records all three years.  They DID manage to barely  make the playoffs, in part due to the eastern conference only having 11 teams.  They were out in the 1st round in all three years.  It wasn't until Pippen's rookie season that they won 50+ games and had an extended playoff run...   Hakeem, on the other hand... you could stick him on any team and instantly be a contender.  I know the saying is, "You need a dominant big man to win a title... unless you are Michael Jordan" and I'd agree with that.  But even knowing that...  I think you have to go with Hakeem in that draft.  Rockets went from 29 wins (pre Akeem) to 48 wins his rookie season.  Made the finals his second season.  7 feet 255... arguably the best low post moves ever... averaged 21 points, 12 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, 1.2 steals on 54% shooting as a rookie.  Forget it... I'm 100% taking Hakeem in a do-over.  It's a no-brainer.  But I don't blame any of you if you'd rather take your chances that things work out the same way with Jordan (also fair to note that the Rockets probably COULD have gotten away with taking JOrdan there... they already had Ralph Sampson and he was a beast in his own right... but in general I'm operating under the idea that regardless of situation/team... in a blind pick, my best move is taking Hakeem over JOrdan).

With that said... The Sam Bowie thing is another story entirely.

Bill Simmons disproves this myth in his "Book of Basketball". In short, there wasn't ever much doubt that Jordan was going to be a star. Pre-draft they labelled him (as well as a few other players like Barkley and Hakeem) "bona fide superstars".  Here are some of the points Simmons makes:

While Jordan's potential was unclear while playing for Dean Smith, everyone knew he was good.  But during the 84 Olympic tryouts, Jordan supposedly DOMINATED.  The two best players of those tryouts were apparently Jordan and Barkley.  US coach Bobby Knight was so thoroughly impressed by Jordan that he called Portland's GM (a friend of Knight) and "implored" him to draft Jordan.  Supposedly when the GM said, "we need a center', Knight responded, "well play him at center then". 

Jordan also was thought to be one of the most exciting college players of the decade.  When the Bulls actually selected him, the announcers refer to him as a "can't miss prospect" and instantly compare him to Dr. J.  In contrast, when Portland takes Bowie they are quick to bring up the fact that he had come back from a stress fracture injury to the left shinbone and was out for two seasons and redshirted.  It even seemed moronic at the time.  Six years earlier they had lost Walton to repeated stress fractures... and here they were passing up a "can't miss" prospect in order to take an injury prone big man coming off a stress fracture injury... who averaged a mere 10 points and 9 rebounds in college.  Also they mentioned the fact that "he passed up the olympics". 

After the Blazers picked Bowie the announcers had the following exchange:

AL:  "You know, there was a question a little earlier perhaps, Portland toying with the idea of the great, can't-miss talent of Michael Jordan against Sam Bowie, who, uh, who of course, coming off the injury, he says he is sound.  Portland has checked him out through a seven-hour test, but the question is Bowie going now over the course of an 82-game schedule"

Lou (nodding):  It is a calculated risk.

So in other words... even at the time, educated Portland fans were probably pretty peeved.  As Bill Simmons put it, "at that point, every Blazers fan in 1984 had thrown up in their mouth at least a little".

Long story short.  We are well aware that ANthony Davis is a can't miss.  Beyond that, there's no Barkley/Jordan that I'm hearing is a "lock" to be a star.  JOrdan WAS a lock.  Bowie wasn't.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:42:08 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
when given a choice of a top-of-the-line big man and a top-of-the-line wing --- take the big man every time.

Houston made the right move with Hakeem although if they were really smart, they'd have traded  with Chicago to either deal Sampson for Jordan and change or trade them the first pick so Chicago could take Hakeem (since they had Sampson) and they take Jordan with the 3rd pick and get another asset to boot.

Houston could have had either Hakeem, Jordan and other Chicago assets (because at that time Sampson would have been valued much higher than Jordan)  
OR
Sampson, Jordan and other Chicago assets.

Houston would have racked up a load of titles if Jordan had been paired with either of them from the start.
Also in Bill Simmon's book... supposedly the Rockets almost traded Ralph Sampson to the Blazers for both Drexler AND the 2nd pick.  In other words, they could have had Jordan, Drexler and Hakeem.  This was according to Hakeem in his 1996 autobiography.  You gotta remember that Sampson was coming off a rookie year where at 23 years old he averaged 23 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.6 blocks 52% shooting... so he was ridiculously good as well (7-4 228 center).  And Drexler was coming off a rookie season (picked 14th, btw) averaging 7.7 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.3 steals.   So at the time it doesn't seem far fetched... in retrospect it sounds nuts.

Again, though... in a bubble without telling me who else is on the team... if you ask me to pick between 1984 Hakeem and 1984 Jordan.  I take Hakeem.  Both players were can't miss, but you gotta take the can't miss center over the can't miss guard.  Big men win titles.

If you want a draft to compare to the 84... the Oden/Durant thing is more appropriate.  In this instance, Oden played both the role of Hakeem AND Bowie.  ODen was thought to be a can't miss 7 footer (shades of Hakeem), but also had already proven to be injury prone and potential bust worthy (shades of Bowie).  Nobody doubted that Durant was a future superstar going into that draft.  We all knew he was destined for greatness (much like Jordan)... Portland just felt compelled to take the big man.  And yes, I know that contradicts what I just said (you gotta take the big man over the guard/forward)... but we're talking about Hakeem over JOrdan not Oden over Durant.  Hakeem lived up to his potential and won two titles.  He probably would have done that anywhere.

Again... long story short:  I haven't heard of a "can't miss" Jordan/Durant in this draft.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 04:16:33 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
As I'm reading this, it appears that people think that Hakeem was overrated or not that great of a player.

Sorry folks, but if the Rockets dished Sampson and got other quality swingmen, the Rockets would have easily become that other dynasty in place of the Bulls.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
As I'm reading this, it appears that people think that Hakeem was overrated or not that great of a player.

Sorry folks, but if the Rockets dished Sampson and got other quality swingmen, the Rockets would have easily become that other dynasty in place of the Bulls.

In 2008 a member of this forum started an unironic thread suggesting that Kendrick Perkins was a better fit for the team than "Hakeem in his prime". 

So yeah... I'd back up the guesstimation that Hakeem is oddly underrated 'round these parts in some circles. 

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There is no MJ in this draft, period.  It's not similiar.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Kidd-Gilchrist is no Jordan, but he'll probably be better than anyone (except Davis) out of this draft class. So I think the comparison with 1984 starts and ends there. No Jordan and no Hakeem... is there a Sam Bowie?

If you look at the 1984 class, you had Charles Barkley (5th pick) and John Stockton (18th pick), and even Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis and Alvin Robertson, who were all stars. Sam Perkins was selected just before Sir Charles. I hope I'm wrong, but there's no way this draft class is as talented as that one of 1984.

Outside Davis,Kidd-Gilchrist and maybe Drummond, Perry Jones and Harrison Barnes, you have another 20 or 30 players who could be solid NBA players, and in some case could be stars... in 2-3 years we might see a new Rondo, a player drafted outside the lottery who ends being the best player of the class, but that's unlikely. The best player will probably be Davis, and after him, MKG. I hope I'm wrong again, because I trust Danny to get the steal of the draft like he did with Rondo.

By the way, when the Bulls were winning it all, I always had the suspect Pippen was underrated and without him Jordan wouldn't have won multiple championships. You take away an ingredient, then everything changes, and you don't look that good... if Bias and Reggie had been healthy and playing for the Cs, today the Bulls would be compared to Doctor J`s 76ers: a great team who won the championship, but not a dinasty.

Please Danny, get another All-Star in this draft. You can do it.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That draft had 4 HOF'ers.  I'm not sure this one has even one. 

I like Davis & Kidd-Gilchrist a lot and think both have the potential (although I don't think Kidd-Gilchrist will be the 2nd coming of Jordan) to be All-Stars.

Besides that, I see some guys that could be 10 year starters and a handful of useful NBA rotation guys. 

I actually think this draft might be more comparable to '03 but the top echelon talent isn't as good as it was in '03.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team