Author Topic: trade down in the draft?  (Read 2673 times)

trade down in the draft?
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
right now the Celtics have the 12th record in the league and the Clippers have the 7th record in the league. That would mean the 19th and the 24th picks in the draft if everything stays the same. We could still keep the 4th seed in the playoffs with a worse record, so our own pick could be a bit higher, but if things remain the same, I think there's a very interesting scenario of trading down with two partners: Golden State and Cleveland, who own Spurs and Lakers first round picks and also early 2nd round picks (the Cavs have 2 of them).

Right now Lakers pick is 26th and Spurs pick is 29th, but the Clippers and the Lakers picks could end being consecutive picks. In any case, if there's a player which the Cavs like a lot, they could be willing to give one of their early 2nd round picks to swap picks with us. Danny could take advantage of this, and trade down with Cleveland and/or Golden State.

Then, with our newly acquired early 2nd rounder(s), Danny could make his pick or try to get a future first with some combination of picks (late first + bucks pick could make sense), although without moving additional pieces it would be very unlikely.

As much as this draft has been hyped, outside the top 10 we could only hope to get a steal, because the rest of the players are at a very similar level. Get Royce White if Terrence Jones or Quincy Miller are not available, and try to get a project big man with the late first rounder (Festus Ezeli, Fab Melo could be available at late first round, early second round). The 2nd rounders, could be better used in drafting international players who can come in a couple of years. We can't have too many rookies on the team.

(pipe) Dream scenario:

19th pick: Terrence Jones/Quincy Miller/Royce White

24th pick: traded to Cleveland for the 25th + 35th picks

25th pick: traded to Golden State for the 28th + 37th picks

28th pick:Festus Ezeli/Andrew Nicholson/Fab Melo

35th & 37th picks: Draymond Green/CJ Leslie/Kris Joseph/Jae Crowder/Drew Gordon

45th pick: Kim English/Will Barton/Tomas Satoransky

49th pick: Augusto Lima/Furkan Aldemir

In a less unrealistic scenario:

25th pick: Festus Ezeli/Andrew Nicholson/Fab Melo

35th pick: Draymond Green/CJ Leslie/Kris Joseph

Edit: of course, we can't carry all those players, so I bet Danny would trade some of them for future assets, or alongside other pieces for better value. This is only about the draft.

Re: trade down in the draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:04 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
we already have 2 1sts and maybe 2 2nds, the only trading we should do is up if anything. There's only so much room on Doc's bench to house all the rookies.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Interestin ideas. I would possibly be down with trading the worse of our first rounders for a couple 2nd rounders. I like your picks as well. Those are the guys I like in this draft: Quincy Miller, Terrence Jones, Draymond Green. Jae Crowder as well.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
we already have 2 1sts and maybe 2 2nds, the only trading we should do is up if anything.
Yeah this is a possability as well

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:42 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Too bad the clippers turned things around. That pick was looking great last month =/

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
right now the Celtics have the 12th record in the league and the Clippers have the 7th record in the league. That would mean the 19th and the 24th picks in the draft if everything stays the same. We could still keep the 4th seed in the playoffs with a worse record, so our own pick could be a bit higher, but if things remain the same, I think there's a very interesting scenario of trading down with two partners: Golden State and Cleveland, who own Spurs and Lakers first round picks and also early 2nd round picks (the Cavs have 2 of them).

Right now Lakers pick is 26th and Spurs pick is 29th, but the Clippers and the Lakers picks could end being consecutive picks. In any case, if there's a player which the Cavs like a lot, they could be willing to give one of their early 2nd round picks to swap picks with us. Danny could take advantage of this, and trade down with Cleveland and/or Golden State.

Then, with our newly acquired early 2nd rounder(s), Danny could make his pick or try to get a future first with some combination of picks (late first + bucks pick could make sense), although without moving additional pieces it would be very unlikely.

As much as this draft has been hyped, outside the top 10 we could only hope to get a steal, because the rest of the players are at a very similar level. Get Royce White if Terrence Jones or Quincy Miller are not available, and try to get a project big man with the late first rounder (Festus Ezeli, Fab Melo could be available at late first round, early second round). The 2nd rounders, could be better used in drafting international players who can come in a couple of years. We can't have too many rookies on the team.

(pipe) Dream scenario:

25th pick: traded to Golden State for the 28th + 37th picks

28th pick:Festus Ezeli/Andrew Nicholson/Fab Melo

35th & 37th picks: Draymond Green/CJ Leslie/Kris Joseph/Jae Crowder/Drew Gordon

In a less unrealistic scenario:

25th pick: Festus Ezeli/Andrew Nicholson/Fab Melo

35th pick: Draymond Green/CJ Leslie/Kris Joseph

Edit: of course, we can't carry all those players, so I bet Danny would trade some of them for future assets, or alongside other pieces for better value. This is only about the draft.

trading down is an interesting option but I don't see Cle giving up the 35th pick to move up 1 spot.  They need help and lots of it.  If they traded the 35th pick (based on the locations you've provided for those picks) it would be for our higher pick at 19-->25th and 35th. 

Not sure Danny does that unless he's got 6 guys rated at the same level and they're all available at 19.  At that point, moving down still nets a player he wants and he can get another asset.  The thing is I can't see him holding potentially 3 second rounders in this draft.  I could see him either making a deal to move them for an already-picked player that was higher up or moving them for future picks in the hopes the receiving teams will be lousy in the future.