Author Topic: Thoughts on Meyers Leonard?  (Read 7278 times)

Re: Thoughts on Meyers Leonard?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:23:27 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Would love to have the kid. He looks really good. Especially that passing ability, he seems to have great court vision. A back to basket guy, something that I think has been lost to the NBA. Post presence, hope he falls to us.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I am just glad there's very little chance he will be on the board by the time the C's pick.

I see nothing more than a good backup, poor starter.  He has a very questionable motor.  Loses focus easily.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
true 7 footers are hard to come by these days in a league thats filled with smaller centers.

And sticking with my hook shot, i dont know how a 7 footer or a PF to come in the league with an under developed hook shot, such a fundamental offensive shot for bigs to have under their belts.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I disagree about his motor.  The times I saw him play he was very active and gave a lot of effort.  Definitely not the most skilled player.  He's tall, active, mobile, got a lot stronger his sophomore season.  A good free throw shooter and supposedly knocks down jumpshots in practice but hasn't attempted to do that in games; it's possible he might grow into a pick and pop option.  I don't think he's ever going to be a lowpost option.  He's robotic in there and showed little feel for scoring with his back to the basket.

He doesn't look like a feature center but if turns into a solid center who can rebound, finish around the basket and defend the rim, that'd be a great find.  The only way to get those guys is basically through the draft.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 03:13:42 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Massive steal at our spot in draft, expect him to go much earlier.

BUUUUTTT I anticipate some backcourt busts as we endlessly search for the next mediocre swingman..

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 07:43:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When he plays well, I get why everyone loves him, but in the Illinois games I watched (about four or five), he disappeared for long stretches of time.  He'd dominate for five minutes, but then do nothing, offensively or defensively, against teams that were really outclassed in the middle (Michigan and Purdue.)  Some of that may have been coaching, some of that may have been teammates, and some of that may have been the death knell following the Illinois program around the second half of the year, but some of it had to have been on him.  6-foot guards dribbled into the lane, and he didn't try to contest.  Power forwards playing center, who will never get a sniff of NBA interest, could keep him from getting position in the post.  And it's not because of his ability, but something about his motivation.

Again, I saw only a few games, and they were in the second half of this year when his team stunk, but at the same time, if Meyers Leonard had given max effort while he was on the court, his team wouldn't have stunk, because he can be dominant.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I disagree about his motor.  The times I saw him play he was very active and gave a lot of effort.  Definitely not the most skilled player.  He's tall, active, mobile, got a lot stronger his sophomore season.  A good free throw shooter and supposedly knocks down jumpshots in practice but hasn't attempted to do that in games; it's possible he might grow into a pick and pop option.  I don't think he's ever going to be a lowpost option.  He's robotic in there and showed little feel for scoring with his back to the basket.

He doesn't look like a feature center but if turns into a solid center who can rebound, finish around the basket and defend the rim, that'd be a great find.  The only way to get those guys is basically through the draft.

A Spencer Hawes type?

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

A Spencer Hawes type?

Spencer Hawes is a nice player, but I think Meyers Leonards' ceiling is a bit higher.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »

Offline peachbucket

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
IMO he is the 2nd best prospect in this draft and has a chance to be a special NBA player.  Don't think we will be able to draft him as he will go top 7 at the end of the day.

I'm starting to fall in love with Andrew Nicholson...he has a lot of Al Jefferson in his offensive game and developed a deadly three point shot in the 2nd half of this season.  The only caveat is that he is already 23 years old...regardless, he is currently severely undervalued and may slip to us on draft day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L66QmiB0xj4

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
My comments are coming as an ILLINI fan which means either in person or on TV I've seen 95% of his games over the last 2 years.  He's an unbelievable talent.  He can run the floor better than any true Center in the draft (Anthony Davis isn't a center), he can shoot from Mid-range and also has a nice jump hook.  He also is a very good shot blocker and rebounds well.  He's a pretty good passer but tends to force passes sometimes.  Plus he's got a frame that can definitely put on weight and strength which is what he did this past year.  He played extremely well against Sullinger of OSU.  Those are the good things.

Now on to the not so good things.  He's very immature.  He pouts when he doesn't get the ball.  He should have dominated against many opponenets that he didn't.  He also got a reputation as a compaliner with the refs.  But in all fairness Illinois didn't have a PG that could get him the ball.

Keep in mind that Myers is only 20 years old and came from a town (Robinson, IL) with a population of a little over 6,000. 

I think whoever gets him will have an unbelievable talent and with our lack of big men he should be a top priority if he's still there.  Unfortunately I think he will show well in workouts and be a top 1 or so pick...

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Myers has lived a hard life as a kid and his mom has some medical issues which also led to him turning pro.  Here's a good read on him...

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1351022

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Myers has lived a hard life as a kid and his mom has some medical issues which also led to him turning pro.  Here's a good read on him...

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1351022

Geo - thanks for the post (TP).

Sounds like the kid has some substance to him. With some of the things I've  read in that article, it appears that he knows life is not always about him, but others.

Seems to have some emotion to him as well - sounds like he'd get along well with KG....... :)

It's either this kid or Austin Rivers, for me. I'd even consider possibly moving up for him. I'd bet that in the right situation (BOS) with a vet team like ours...great coach and GM...rich tradition...pass-first PG...Team-First mentality....this kid could REALLY bloom.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Meyers is a far better athlete than Hawes but not as skilled.

Meyers compares more to Chris Mihm I think.  Similar size, athleticism and skill level.  One reason why I hope he is better is that he's a much better passer.  He's no great shakes in that department either but he's competent whereas Mihm was atrocious and untrustworthy.