Author Topic: Thoughts on Meyers Leonard?  (Read 7279 times)

Thoughts on Meyers Leonard?
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWNpaPEw6o

Looking at the mock drafts most of them have Leonard going around 15. I have never seen the kid play live , but from these highlights he looks like a very mobile and smooth big man, he has great size,good hands, seems to be a good passer and has a body that will fill out into a legit centers body.

I think he is definitely a better prospect than Kyle Zellar or Fab Melo( likely the only 2 centers worth taking with a late 1st).

Maybe we could trade up and grab a big man to play next to KG.

Re: Thoughts on Meyers Leonard?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Meyers Leonard is the guy who intrigues me the most for the Celtics. I'd be very happy to see Danny trade both first rounders in an effort to move up and nab this guy.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Meyers Leonard is the guy who intrigues me the most for the Celtics. I'd be very happy to see Danny trade both first rounders in an effort to move up and nab this guy.

That'd be okay by me.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am a big fan, however with the depth of the draft I think some very good players will slip to us (if most people come out) that we don't need to trade down to get a guy.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Would really like to see Leonard with Rondo, looks like he knows how to create space around the basket which will be perfect when Rondo penetrates he just has to drop it off to Leonard for the dunk, he can finish alley oops too and it appears he would be good on a fast break team where he can use his speed at the center spot.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I am a big fan, however with the depth of the draft I think some very good players will slip to us (if most people come out) that we don't need to trade down to get a guy.

I'm very intrigued by the descriptions of leonard. But i have to agree with this statement. There's so much talent in this draft that I would rather have 2 low 20s picks over 1 mid teen pick.

Davis is the clear #1, then there are about 4 or 5 really quality picks, then then a very even level of talent from 6 through the late 20s. This appears to be a deep draft.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Great hook shot the kid has.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
In my humble opinion, this video, which was supposed to be his highlights, didn't show too much. If I were doing the drafting, I wouldn't trade my 2 round one picks to get this guy. But, of course, this is just my opinion.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Too many question marks to package picks to move up. Someone will look like a "genius"  this draft by getting value later, and some very good talent evaluators will come up empty. I think unless you can really move up and be very sure what you are getting you need to keep both picks and hope one or both hit.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOVE the kid, from the clips I've seen. I've mentioned him several times on the board.

Appears to be very unselfish, and able to adapt to a team-first mentality.

7'2"...needs to gain a bit of weight, but that's no problem.

Well-rounded big, and strong even for his lack of girth. Saw some footage of him going up against the shorter (but bulkier) Sullinger, and he held his own (and Illinois beat Ohio State that game, too).

Would be surprised if he slips too far. I'd rather have THIS guy than any projects who we'd have to develop.

IMO, he's ready to contribute right away...just gain a little mass over the summer.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't object to picking him but I don't think he'll be as good a pro as some people think.  something just doesn't appeal to me about his game.  can't put my finger on it.

I wouldn't mind Moultrie as another option.  I wouldn't move up to get either one but I'd seriously make sure I get one of these guys with one of the 1st rounders

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Like others have said, I like his game but I'm not trading up to get him.  He's a good shot blocker, good passer, and pretty good on the boards too. I think KG will be back next year and would love to see this kid learn from him. Too much draft depth to trade up for though.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

From the videos I've seen this is true....thats a move that will be very useful in the NBA

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

From the videos I've seen this is true....thats a move that will be very useful in the NBA

Yea that will definitely be his go to shot in the NBA . I really like his potential. Just look at some of those passes he was making in that video,it looks like he has very good court vision. If he gets a 1 on 1 matchup he will be able to get that jump hook off over nearly every Center in the NBA. If the double team comes he will be able to find the open man, and on this team with elite shooters with KG,PP,Ray,Bass and great cutters like Rondo and Bradley I think this kid would fit in perfectly .

We would finally have a low post threat on offense and Rondo would make this kid so much better .

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
VERY good, won't be there for the Celtics. I think there will be a run on the big men early. If you don't have a top 10 you could be missing out on elite PF/C talent.