Author Topic: Make your picks based on mocks  (Read 20409 times)

Re: Make your picks based on mocks
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Tyshawn Taylor sounds very interesting as a late first round pick.

What did you think of his game against UNC, Who?

He scored 22 on 10-19 shooting but 0-5 from 3.  I thought he took some of those "hero" shots that Doc hates so much - overall i wasn't particularly impressed with his decision making.  I would definitely take a gamble on him in the mid/late second round though, just needs to improve his thought process.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Either draft:
17.  Arnett Moultrie
24.  Andrew Nicholson

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

He scored 22 on 10-19 shooting but 0-5 from 3.  I thought he took some of those "hero" shots that Doc hates so much - overall i wasn't particularly impressed with his decision making.  I would definitely take a gamble on him in the mid/late second round though, just needs to improve his thought process.
Yeah, I thought the same about decision making. Bad decisions with his passing (attempted passes and missed opportunities), over-dribbling at timse and some of his shot selection. Needs to weed those mistakes out of his game. That is holding him back quite a bit at the moment.

He showed some nice tools though -- physical size, quickness, shooting ability, some scoring ability and defensive talent. That is a good foundation to build off of. Something someone can work with and develop.

If Taylor can continue to push on and improve that decision making, he could become a very nice backup PG to low level starter depending on his level of progress over the next few years. Otherwise, more like an average backup PG.

A nice package for a late first rounder.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I just think he is a dime a dozen combo-guard, that you can always find in the second round.  I wouldn't use a first round pick in a draft like this on him.

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I'm not a fan of Tyshawn Taylor. Way too streaky as a scorer, not skilled enough to be a dependable PG and not an impact defensive player.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I mostly want them to take guys who will be players in the league. If they have upside to be stars, great. But I don't want to end up with two Kedrick Browns who could be great - but won't actually be anything. I'd swing for the fences once, but not twice because they need to get something out of this draft.

Tyler Zeller won't last until the late teens, though I'd be all over it if he got there. Not a star, probably mostly a role player, but he will play in this league for a long time. I expect he'll start and give you quality minutes at center for 10 years. 

I like what I read about Moultrie's ability, but great point, Who, there is definitely reason to be concerned about a guy with that much alleged talent/athleticism whose team didn't do anything special. My guess is that as the draft approaches, his workouts will be great and he'll shoot up the board.

Royce White can create offense for himself and for others. On the court, I really like that kid and think he's the exact type of player this league is moving toward - 6'7" to 6'9" players who can handle the ball, make plays, create offense, run the floor and rebound. But if the kid can't get over a fear of flying by this time, you have to be worried about his ability to get over it and that would be a huge problem. He's about to jump from playing 35 games within roughly the same geographic area to 82 games all across the country. (And I wonder whether it's the mental issues contributing to his 50% free throw percentage - a red flag for a perimeter player.) If the mental obstacles are removed, though, the guy is as talented as anybody in the draft.

I actually disagree with Atzar on Terrence Jones and would be scared of him for opposite reasons. That guy has upside to be way way more than a role player. He can do absolutely anything on the court. Has handle, very good rebounder, good passer, solid shooter, can be a beast in the post. From watching him, my biggest concern is that I think his right hand is weak. And of course there's a tweener worry - he's best as a 4 but his size translates to the 3. But unlike a guy like Draymond Green (a winner who I love but has more problems), Jones has the athleticism to play on the perimeter. I think the guy is as likely as anybody in the draft to be an All Star if he's not the immature headcase some people think he is. But if he is a headcase, he could just cause too many locker room problems to be worth it. Unlike Beasley (and possibly a guy like White), I don't think it'll be lack of dedication to his game. I think Jones considers himself, and wants to be, the best, and his friction with teammates will result from being too hard on them wanting to win (a la Rondo). I also think this is unnecessary - I think when the draft rolls around, Jones will be gone in the Top 10.

Given all that, I'm not sure we can have that good an idea right now where players are going. Jared Sullinger could plummet because he's a bit short for an NBA power forward (I think he'll be outstanding). We also don't know where the Celtics will pick. Boston could end up anywhere from the lottery to the early 20s depending on how they play down the stretch. The Clippers pick could be as late as 25 or as early as 12. Just hard to say right now.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd waste a 2nd round pick on Renardo Sidney, yes.  He is high risk and high reward.  

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Renardo-Sidney-1113/

2012 NBA Draft Scouting Report: Renardo Sidney

Position: Power Forward

Size: 6-10, 270

School: Mississippi State, Junior

Strengths:
Skilled back-to-the-basket player
Throws his body around inside
Establishes good position on the block
Knows how to absorb contact and still finish around the rim
Quick on his feet and pretty agile for a big guy
Good touch around the rim
Great hands
Mid-range game
Three-point range

Weaknesses:
Serious red flag due to character issues
Overall effort
Conditioning
Concerns about his coachability and desire to help a team
Lacks a toughness you would expect from someone his size
Not a tenacious rebounder
Moving his feet on the defensive end

Summary: His problematic history has been well documented and as a result, an NBA team would be foolish to give him the guaranteed money of a first-round pick (at least I'd hope so.) He still has the size and skill that NBA teams covet and will certainly get plenty of second-round looks. If Sidney is ever able to put it all together, he could be a second-round steal, but that will be a major barrier for him to overcome.

Player Comparison: Zach Randolph. From their early maturity issues, to their big bodies, to their ability to step out and knock down mid-range jumpers, this comparison seems pretty spot on. If Sidney can ever it figure it out like Randolph eventually did, the skill set is there for him to be a talented NBA player. That is a big "if" though.

http://walterfootball.com/nbascoutingreport2012rsidney.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG4DvQHpKV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQ_iE3kR7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0JBRbhcOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEDiy5q8IVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf8a-eJPico

6'10" 280lbs.  If he got in shape too he would be even better but the talent is there.  He has soft touch and could bang with anyone.  Soft hands I know he has some baggage but talking a flyer on a second rounder.  Did I mention he can shoot and move.

Yeah he has issues but if you could get him in shape and commited to D, then the payoff would be huge.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline ahares

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
17 - Terrence Jones
24 - Dion Waiters
40 - Robert Sacre
47 - Jae Crowder

You add instant offense and a ton of energy to next years team and depth.

Rondo/Waiters/FA
Bradley/Moore
Green/Jones/Crowder
KG/Bass/JJJ
Steisma/Sacre/Hollins/FA

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
17 Austin Rivers
22 Arnett Moultrie

we trade both 2nd round picks to move up in the 2nd round and take Jae Crowder

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
Anyone here heard or seen Eric Griffin, from Campbell, play?
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd waste a 2nd round pick on Renardo Sidney, yes.  He is high risk and high reward.  

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Renardo-Sidney-1113/

2012 NBA Draft Scouting Report: Renardo Sidney

Position: Power Forward

Size: 6-10, 270

School: Mississippi State, Junior

Strengths:
Skilled back-to-the-basket player
Throws his body around inside
Establishes good position on the block
Knows how to absorb contact and still finish around the rim
Quick on his feet and pretty agile for a big guy
Good touch around the rim
Great hands
Mid-range game
Three-point range

Weaknesses:
Serious red flag due to character issues
Overall effort
Conditioning
Concerns about his coachability and desire to help a team
Lacks a toughness you would expect from someone his size
Not a tenacious rebounder
Moving his feet on the defensive end

Summary: His problematic history has been well documented and as a result, an NBA team would be foolish to give him the guaranteed money of a first-round pick (at least I'd hope so.) He still has the size and skill that NBA teams covet and will certainly get plenty of second-round looks. If Sidney is ever able to put it all together, he could be a second-round steal, but that will be a major barrier for him to overcome.

Player Comparison: Zach Randolph. From their early maturity issues, to their big bodies, to their ability to step out and knock down mid-range jumpers, this comparison seems pretty spot on. If Sidney can ever it figure it out like Randolph eventually did, the skill set is there for him to be a talented NBA player. That is a big "if" though.

http://walterfootball.com/nbascoutingreport2012rsidney.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG4DvQHpKV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQ_iE3kR7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0JBRbhcOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEDiy5q8IVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf8a-eJPico

6'10" 280lbs.  If he got in shape too he would be even better but the talent is there.  He has soft touch and could bang with anyone.  Soft hands I know he has some baggage but talking a flyer on a second rounder.  Did I mention he can shoot and move.

Yeah he has issues but if you could get him in shape and commited to D, then the payoff would be huge.

Yes, definitely worth a look in the 2nd round. The man is too skilled, playing back to basket, something that has been lost in the NBA. NBA body albeit not physical as you said, but that could be learned over time.

He sure has some red flags, but it is fixable.

Also, if we are talking about a 2nd rounder big. I would like to mention Bernard James from FSU.

Although he's already 27. The way I've seen him play in the tournament, just great hustle and energy and a physical player. I would like for the Celtics to take a look on him as well. Although I think he does reached his ceiling, that kind of play of his could be helpful for any team.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think this is a good time to give a really thorough look on Kansas C Jeff Withey (assuming he goes pro).

People have been talking about his shot altering precense. It'll be good to see how he does against an NBA level talent in Jared Sullinger, and maybe against the Kentucky bigs.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I find myself wanting Harkless and Ross.  Harkless reminds me a bit of Reggie Lewis, though some have compared him to Pierce.  The only problem is I like Avery Bradley starting at 2 and I Love Pietrus, so we probably don't need two wings.....but for the value in our range I'd love to grab both those guys....

Who would people take between Harkless (SF) and Ross (mainly SG)? 
Ross seems rated a bit higher but it's close....

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Even if John Henson falls to us, I'm unsure how much sense it would make to draft him, instead of using the pick at other spots. I think Anthony Randolph is a very similar type player that should be available cheaply though free agency. What I find the most interesting is that Henson is only 1 year younger than Randolph.

I see Randolph as the perfect player to play with Rondo and in 31 career starts Randolph has averaged the following:

PPG 11.6
RPG 8.2
APG 1.1
SPG 1.0
BPG 1.4
FG% 47.8
FT% 79.0
MPG 25.11 (ONLY)

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE