Author Topic: This draft will have some 2nd round steals  (Read 8449 times)

Re: This draft will have some 2nd round steals
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Cincinnati's Yancy Gates is the guy I eye as a potential late second-round guy.  He clearly has talent and could be a taller, better rebounding Big Baby in both the good and bad senses of that comparison.  I see him as a bit of a project who I wouldn't expect to play much as a rookie.  He has some behavioral concerns that will cause him to drop lower than if drafting was based purely on talent, perhaps to the point of going undrafted.  It's possible that dealing with the aftermath of the UC-Xavier brawl has given him some much-needed maturity. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I agree with that Sidney shows no desire to play.

I also agree Y Gates could be a steal, he was measured to have a 7'3 wingspand so that coupled with his strength means he could play some 5. That makes him an interesting 2nd round pick.

I also like Orlando Johnson from UCSB, ive never seen him play but his numbers from this past year are impressive (shot 42% from 3 with 5 attempts a game). Looking at his game log he had 36pts 11rb against unlv early in the year. He also has good size 6'5 225lbs 7' wingspan. Could be a nice sleeper.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »

Offline Brazilian Celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Today, april 2nd, we have 3 picks: 22, 23 and 52. If Milwaukee takes the 8th seed from the Knicks (very plausible once Amare and Lin are injured)we also get theirs 2nh roun pick, around 45.

In this scenario i would do the following.

Pick 22: Fab Melo, C from Syracuse. The anchor of Syracuse D. In the mold of Anderson Varejão and/or Tyson Chandler

Pick 23: Dion Waiters, SG from Syracuse. The guy reminds me Wade. A poor's man version, but still. 6'4. Freakin athlete, goes strong to the basket, creates his own shot but it's not a good shooter.

Pick 45: Jae Crowder, SF from Marquette. Great rebounder. Very good defender, good slasher. Reminds me of Kawhi Leonard.

Pick 52: Yancy Gates or Scott Machado. The first one a very strong PF, defensive minded. The other a PG with almost 10 ast/game, fearless, 6'1, good defender..but likes to gamble too much for steals...reminds somebody you know? LOL..

All of them ready to contribute. No stars. But great upside at areas we need help.   

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Today, april 2nd, we have 3 picks: 22, 23 and 52. If Milwaukee takes the 8th seed from the Knicks (very plausible once Amare and Lin are injured)we also get theirs 2nh roun pick, around 45.

In this scenario i would do the following.

Pick 22: Fab Melo, C from Syracuse. The anchor of Syracuse D. In the mold of Anderson Varejão and/or Tyson Chandler

Pick 23: Dion Waiters, SG from Syracuse. The guy reminds me Wade. A poor's man version, but still. 6'4. Freakin athlete, goes strong to the basket, creates his own shot but it's not a good shooter.

Pick 45: Jae Crowder, SF from Marquette. Great rebounder. Very good defender, good slasher. Reminds me of Kawhi Leonard.

Pick 52: Yancy Gates or Scott Machado. The first one a very strong PF, defensive minded. The other a PG with almost 10 ast/game, fearless, 6'1, good defender..but likes to gamble too much for steals...reminds somebody you know? LOL..

All of them ready to contribute. No stars. But great upside at areas we need help.   
I'm kind of hoping we can do better than Melo and Waiters in the first round but I like your variation in the positions played by the picks.  The team needs young reinforcements at every position and this would be a terrific opportunity to stock up.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Melo is a horrible player and I hope we don't go for him.  He is a total project...

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I agree, I'll be bummed if they take Melo. His entire game is blocking shots, which is all well and good, but not worth a first round pick considering he's a surprisingly ineffective rebounder for his size, I don't see him grasping team defense at any point, and he has no offense to complement his shotblocking. I honestly think he's basically Stiemsma. I'd much rather keep Stiemsma, take Jeff Withey in the second round, and/or make a modest offer to Hasheem Thabeet - they can all do everything Fab Melo can do.

I do like Crowder and Machado in the second round. I also like Withey, Elijah Johnson (PG/SG from Kansas), Kevin Jones (PF from West Virginia), Andre Roberson (SF from Colorado), Alex Young (SG from IUPUI) and Will Barton (SG from Memphis). 
Go Celtics.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Take Uncle Festus with a second round pick if he is available

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I certainly hope that some teams take a hard look at Kyle O'Quinn and Kent Bazemore (ODU). Both were their respective division's Defensive Player of the Year.

ODU didn't make the field of 64, but Bazemore's still a very good player. Reminds me of Paul Pressey (MIL, early 80's) Worth looking at.

We all know about Kyle O'Quinn and what NSU did to Missouri...he didn't play well vs Florida, but he is still worth a look...don't sleep on these guys.

Don't forget Ben Wallace (undrafted :o), and Paul Pressey from back in the day...these two could end up like them. These small schools have some gems, too.

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I rather have the Withey kid from Kansas than Melo.

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Just one minor (but important correction.)  Unless something has changed with the new CBA, the second round is strictly in order of record, unlike the first round.  In the first round, if you miss the playoffs you're in the lottery, and if you make it you're not, even if you have a worse record than a team from the other conference.  In the second round, if you have the better record, even if you miss the playoffs and the other team doesn't, you have the later pick.  So for the C's to get Milwaukee's pick, the Bucks not only have to pass New York (which is very possible), but they also have to finish ahead of any Western Conference team that misses the playoffs.  This, of course, is also possible, but means they have about 4 teams to leapfrog, and not just one, before we can get their pick.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Darius Miller!