Author Topic: Lucas Nogueira  (Read 3371 times)

Lucas Nogueira
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Was looking at some late 1st round draft picks on draftexpress and this guy looks like he could be an intiguing pick. DE has him going #29 to the Spurs. He is just 18, almost 7 feet in shoes and long wingspan too. Looks like a long-term project, but could be a high upside player as well especially figuring that Brazilian players have fared pretty well with Nene, Varejao and Barbosa. Plus we could leave him in Europe for a year or two and let him develop there. Anyone have further insight on him?

Re: Lucas Nogueira
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Bebe?  He's already got the nickname to be a Brazilian star.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I've talked about this kid on another forum. He looks like a great project since there is a low chance we are going to draft a player who will contribute this year anyway.

The only concerns about him are questions about his work ethic and "star attitude" and the fact that he hasn't played against good competition. At 18, the work ethic doesn't bother me that much since he has always been the best player on the court. He also played very well in the nike hoop summit so lack of competition hasn't hindered him that much.

I would definitely love for Danny to take a chance on this kid. It could end paying off greatly in the future.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »

Offline CelticsGuy34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
id love if danny can get

Kenneth Faried...Rebounding,hustle, defense,athletism in the first and then grab this guy as a project Center...

i think Faried can help with what the celtics lack instantly with rebounding and his motor... takes the place of big baby

and Lucan Nogueira is a good project To have at Center

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Bebe?  He's already got the nickname to be a Brazilian star.

Do we really need another "baby."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »

Offline CaptainJackLee

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 21
Was looking at some late 1st round draft picks on draftexpress and this guy looks like he could be an intiguing pick. DE has him going #29 to the Spurs. He is just 18, almost 7 feet in shoes and long wingspan too. Looks like a long-term project, but could be a high upside player as well especially figuring that Brazilian players have fared pretty well with Nene, Varejao and Barbosa. Plus we could leave him in Europe for a year or two and let him develop there. Anyone have further insight on him?

I may have:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=46423.msg1014488#msg1014488
From an athletic perspective, I think he may be a little slow-footed laterally. Hmm... thinking about it, perhaps it's more of a product of still playing too stiff, doesn't get low enough to react and slide fast. I played against his team twice this year and it was fairly easy for us to attack with pick'n'rolls and for our inside guys to attack facing-up when he was on the court, just going around him. We struggled a lot more when they were playing zone with him in the middle. His team had another long 7fter in the roster, quite a few guys 6'7'' or taller, their perimeter players were also long and athletic and when they were zoning it was tough for a team like ours. But most of the time they were defending 1x1 and in that scenario Lucas was an easy liability to explore. He's very quick recovering once left behind though, very large steps and leaves the floor quickly to contest shots from behind.

What worries me more about Nogueira is that he looked a bit on the nonchalant side. Doesn't play with much energy, sets very soft screens, plays with his arms down... not sure if you understand what I'm saying. Do you remember Patrick O'Bryant, the center that was signed from the Warriors? Same sort of demeanour, he lets other people outwork him. We play lots of minutes with 6'6'' bigs and they were able to keep him in check with relative ease, some pushing around and he got quiet. I think that if you're as long, coordinated and athletic as he is, you ought to do a little more than blocking shots and rebounding. It seemed that he often lacked the initiative to do more.

All in all, he's still years away from being a player that can contribute in the NBA, even as a garbage man. For a guy like me it's almost suicidal to get a shot off with a guy like him anywhere in the proximities, but NBA players will pick him apart.

I also think that leaving him in Europe for a couple of seasons could be the best course of action but it remains to be seen what are his agent's decisions.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I may have:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=46423.msg1014488#msg1014488
From an athletic perspective, I think he may be a little slow-footed laterally. Hmm... thinking about it, perhaps it's more of a product of still playing too stiff, doesn't get low enough to react and slide fast. I played against his team twice this year and it was fairly easy for us to attack with pick'n'rolls and for our inside guys to attack facing-up when he was on the court, just going around him. We struggled a lot more when they were playing zone with him in the middle. His team had another long 7fter in the roster, quite a few guys 6'7'' or taller, their perimeter players were also long and athletic and when they were zoning it was tough for a team like ours. But most of the time they were defending 1x1 and in that scenario Lucas was an easy liability to explore. He's very quick recovering once left behind though, very large steps and leaves the floor quickly to contest shots from behind.

What worries me more about Nogueira is that he looked a bit on the nonchalant side. Doesn't play with much energy, sets very soft screens, plays with his arms down... not sure if you understand what I'm saying. Do you remember Patrick O'Bryant, the center that was signed from the Warriors? Same sort of demeanour, he lets other people outwork him. We play lots of minutes with 6'6'' bigs and they were able to keep him in check with relative ease, some pushing around and he got quiet. I think that if you're as long, coordinated and athletic as he is, you ought to do a little more than blocking shots and rebounding. It seemed that he often lacked the initiative to do more.

All in all, he's still years away from being a player that can contribute in the NBA, even as a garbage man. For a guy like me it's almost suicidal to get a shot off with a guy like him anywhere in the proximities, but NBA players will pick him apart.

I also think that leaving him in Europe for a couple of seasons could be the best course of action but it remains to be seen what are his agent's decisions.

Thanks for the information, and welcome to cb. tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva