Author Topic: Justin Harper (prediction)  (Read 3589 times)

Justin Harper (prediction)
« on: May 26, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »

Offline jco3423

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I watched the draft combine and Danny's eyes were glued to this guy. It seemed like he was the only person he was watching in the pf group. My guess is BBD is gone and Harper is a big that can shoot from outside who could possibly come off the bench and help out.

The list of players so far to workout for the Celtics on June 1st is Harper, Jon Leuer, Jamie Skeen, and Matt Howard (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2011/05/26/celtics_wading_into_draft_pool/). Imo Harper is the only first round talent in that group and is the only person Danny should consider for our 1st round pick out of this group.

Re: Justin Harper (prediction)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
He has a nice touch and good size but what's his inside game like? We need someone young who is willing to mix it up inside and do some dirty work.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline Arok325

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
I can speak from experience here. I went to Richmond and have seen Harper play a significant amount. He really doesn't have a lot of inside game. He's tall and lanky but his skillset is much more suited to the perimeter. He's essentially a Channing Frye type player.

He's got excellent size though and he's one of the strongest players in the draft. His bench press ranked highest so I still feel like he can be a versatile option at the pro level. He has a very consistent jump shot, is an excellent free throw shooter and is almost the anti-Glen Davis. I think he will be a good player in the NBA but people should not have unrealisitc expectations about what he can contribute. I think he will surprise some people at this level but I do not think he will be an elite player.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
I can speak from experience here. I went to Richmond and have seen Harper play a significant amount. He really doesn't have a lot of inside game. He's tall and lanky but his skillset is much more suited to the perimeter. He's essentially a Channing Frye type player.

He's got excellent size though and he's one of the strongest players in the draft. His bench press ranked highest so I still feel like he can be a versatile option at the pro level. He has a very consistent jump shot, is an excellent free throw shooter and is almost the anti-Glen Davis. I think he will be a good player in the NBA but people should not have unrealisitc expectations about what he can contribute. I think he will surprise some people at this level but I do not think he will be an elite player.
Does Harper have enough athleticism / quickness to play the small forward position in the NBA?

As a big 6-9 three with shooting ability.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Saw him a couple times.  Low impact player: doesn't rebound well, doesn't create his own shot.  Does space the floor.

No idea how he is defensively.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Sounds like a great late first round pick.
Seriously.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »

Offline Arok325

• Oshae Brissett

Does Harper have enough athleticism / quickness to play the small forward position in the NBA?

As a big 6-9 three with shooting ability.

I really don't see him as a 3 but I suppose he could be a Rashard Lewis type who spreads the floor in a big lineup. He did well in the agility drills. I don't think he has a permanent job as a 3 though. He's not really quick enough to play that role effectively for too long.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Saw him on TV against UMass....Channing Frye is an excellent comparison

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline Arok325

• Oshae Brissett
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced this is our guy. Everything I read our hear indicates to me that Harper is going to be the guy on draft day.

Today's report:
"The Celtics held a draft workout on Wednesday with Justin Harper, Lavoy Allen, Jamie Skeen, Keith Benson, Jon Leuer, Jeremy Tyler and Frank Hassell. Matt Howard was originally scheduled for that workout but was not there for an unknown reason. The word was that Justin Harper and Lavoy Allen both played fairly well. The Hoops Report"

Also he worked out for us a week or two ago.  Finally Kevin Eastmant, one of the Celtics assistants is a Richmond guy so I would actually bet money that Harper is the guy we target on draft day.