Author Topic: any big men in the draft worth trading up for?  (Read 7596 times)

Re: any big men in the draft worth trading up for?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Kanter apparently wowed scouts this past week with his record-setting treadmill endurance tests (no big man scored as high as he did).

The question isn't really whether any of these guys are worth trading up for. The issue is that the Celtics have virtually no chips to use to make a draft night trade, except for a member of the Big Four, JO, Bradley, and draft picks (including the Clips' 2012).

I'd say that the fact that someone wowed the scouts based on his treadmill endurance test says a lot about the quality of the draft. I've heard of players wowing scouts before with athleticism or skill, but endurance? Yikes.

And according to his agent, Max Ergul, Kanter -- who is projected as a top-five pick despite the fact that teams haven't seen him play since last year's Nike Hoop Summit in Portland -- convinced NBA executives that he has the stamina to play heavy minutes right away.

He lasted approximately 21 minutes on a brutal treadmill test that includes steep inclines, declines and sprints, putting himself atop the big man class when it comes to being dedicated about his body.

"He went 21-plus minutes on the treadmill test, and only five guys -- plus Enes -- [did that] and four of them were guards," Ergul told SI.com. "[NBA officials] said that was the first time in the draft in modern history that had happened, that no 6-11-plus guys ever finished 21-minutes-plus on the treadmill test ... People don't realize how prepared this kid is, how dedicated he is."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/23/predraft.camp.wrap/

I wasn't saying it wasn't true, just that it's a sad commentary on the quality of the draft.

No 6'11" player has done as well as Kanter in that test. Ever.

I don't see how a historically superlative metric reflects poorly on a draft class?

Yeah, and he does triathlons in record time.  I heard he's like Flipper, with the way he swims.
I wonder if he can break the world record that the late Randy Macho Man Savage's father set when he was in the military.
Oh wait this is basketball.  How's his jumpshot?
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Kanter apparently wowed scouts this past week with his record-setting treadmill endurance tests (no big man scored as high as he did).

The question isn't really whether any of these guys are worth trading up for. The issue is that the Celtics have virtually no chips to use to make a draft night trade, except for a member of the Big Four, JO, Bradley, and draft picks (including the Clips' 2012).

I'd say that the fact that someone wowed the scouts based on his treadmill endurance test says a lot about the quality of the draft. I've heard of players wowing scouts before with athleticism or skill, but endurance? Yikes.

And according to his agent, Max Ergul, Kanter -- who is projected as a top-five pick despite the fact that teams haven't seen him play since last year's Nike Hoop Summit in Portland -- convinced NBA executives that he has the stamina to play heavy minutes right away.

He lasted approximately 21 minutes on a brutal treadmill test that includes steep inclines, declines and sprints, putting himself atop the big man class when it comes to being dedicated about his body.

"He went 21-plus minutes on the treadmill test, and only five guys -- plus Enes -- [did that] and four of them were guards," Ergul told SI.com. "[NBA officials] said that was the first time in the draft in modern history that had happened, that no 6-11-plus guys ever finished 21-minutes-plus on the treadmill test ... People don't realize how prepared this kid is, how dedicated he is."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/23/predraft.camp.wrap/

I wasn't saying it wasn't true, just that it's a sad commentary on the quality of the draft.

No 6'11" player has done as well as Kanter in that test. Ever.

I don't see how a historically superlative metric reflects poorly on a draft class?

Yeah, and he does triathlons in record time.  I heard he's like Flipper, with the way he swims.
I wonder if he can break the world record that the late Randy Macho Man Savage's father set when he was in the military.
Oh wait this is basketball.  How's his jumpshot?

Who cares? If he beats his man down the floor, he'll just be dunking all night.

Conditioning and stamina are important for a successful career in the NBA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
If Jonas Valanciunas was to slip (maybe buyout issues?) then i would be happy to see danny move up to get him 15-20. From the game film ive seen on you tube and his scouting report he seems to have the makings of a good NBA center in the Noah mold. Seems really active and lengthy (rumored to be 6'11 with 7'6" wingspan)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm leaning towards no, but I guess it depends on what it costs to trade up

Ditto.
I just don't see the Cs making such a move in the first round, bc the going rate is just too expensive.  I could see them doing it in the second round, though, depending on whether someone falls.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'm leaning towards no, but I guess it depends on what it costs to trade up

Ditto.
I just don't see the Cs making such a move in the first round, bc the going rate is just too expensive.  I could see them doing it in the second round, though, depending on whether someone falls.

Right, IF we move up and that's a big IF, I think it'll only be to about pick 15 and I think we'll target Markieff Morris.  He's got a very nice inside-outside game and he's a pretty good rebounder.  He averaged around 8 boards in only 24 minutes per game.  I think that if we move up he is the most realistic target.
do it

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Another interesting big man is Kenneth Faried who really impressed scouts at the combine and he is college basketball's all-time leading rebounder, just sayin.

Faried is the only big man who I'm positive won't be there when we pick that I would trade up for. I think we could move into position to get him without giving up too much to do it.

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Enes Kantor is a flat out stud.  He is the only big man worth trading for.

I just watched some videos of this guy.  I can see why he wowed scouts.  He looks like he has Pau Gasol potential with his jumper range and fluid body control.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Another interesting big man is Kenneth Faried who really impressed scouts at the combine and he is college basketball's all-time leading rebounder, just sayin.

Faried is the only big man who I'm positive won't be there when we pick that I would trade up for. I think we could move into position to get him without giving up too much to do it.

Faried's my favorite player in the draft.  He's projected to go about 5 spots ahead of us.  A few second rounders (including Cleveland's 2013 from the Erden trade) and some cash might be enough to convince someone to swap. in late teens early 20s.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Faried's my favorite player in the draft.  He's projected to go about 5 spots ahead of us.  A few second rounders (including Cleveland's 2013 from the Erden trade) and some cash might be enough to convince someone to swap. in late teens early 20s.

Have to keep an ear out for Minnesota at #20. Many think they'd be open to trading the pick. They lost a lot of money last year, so perhaps they'd sell it outright for $3 mil.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Yeah, and he does triathlons in record time.  I heard he's like Flipper, with the way he swims.
Oh wait this is basketball.  How's his jumpshot?

People who don't appreciate the stamina obviously haven't played or coached the game competitively.  Anybody at this level can make shots, run the floor, and fight for rebounds when they are well rested.  A lot fewer can do it consistently after 8-10 minutes of play.  Several prospects with NBA size and skills fall out of the league because of poor conditioning; they have all the so called tools, but not the dedication.  So yes stamina is a big positive.

Having said all that is it worthless if he doesn't have the basketball skills to go along with it.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:28 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
C's will be better off getting a big in the draft. There's nothing much the C's can offer which will get someone of really great value.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace