Author Topic: With Players like Barnes, Jones and Sullinger Returning... (Clipper's Pick)  (Read 10782 times)

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I personally like the 2 years in college rule. I think players will be more developed and it seems like the fairest compromise between college and the NBA. After that, there can't be any more NBA/NCAA disagreements and issues with players. Even split.

Become Legendary.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I personally like the 2 years in college rule. I think players will be more developed and it seems like the fairest compromise between college and the NBA. After that, there can't be any more NBA/NCAA disagreements and issues with players. Even split.

It's a free country.  Why should we permit such collusion to depress the hiring of young professional basketball players?

Offline scoop1977

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

It's a free country.  Why should we permit such collusion to depress the hiring of young professional basketball players?

I don't think there's any collusion at all. If the NBA institutes a 2 years removed from high-school threshold, it will have nothing to do with the NCAA interests, rather because they will(wrongly) believe they're defending their own.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Same reason the NFL does it. It's their business. The majority of these kids are ignorant and exploitable. They jeopardize their careers and lives by coming out too early. For every Lebron or Amare or Kobe or TMac there a tens of Lenny Cooks and Ndudi Ebis.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Same reason the NFL does it. It's their business. The majority of these kids are ignorant and exploitable. They jeopardize their careers and lives by coming out too early. For every Lebron or Amare or Kobe or TMac there a tens of Lenny Cooks and Ndudi Ebis.

Anyways this post was about the prospect of the Celtics getting a very good player with this trade and barring a new a age rule or a Blake Griffin injury I think it happens. I think we get a pick between 11 and 15 (unless the lottery screws us) and that guy could be a very solid pick since this draft should be one of the deepest in years with three top 5 guys returning.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We probably won't get any of those top freshman returning.  Perry Jones is a possibility if his stock continues to drop, but if that's the case would we want him?  Imagine a draft though where we could get Jeremy Lamb at 11 to replace Ray Allen then a guy like Tyler Zeller late in the first round?  Say what you want about the Perkins trade, but this pick could help extend the window.
I was referring more to the trickle down effect it could have on the entire draft next year.

Barnes, Jones, Sullinger and Knight could all go in the top 5 next year, when no one expected them to even be in it. Next years draft class was so supposed to be a strong one even without them involved.

Think it's been asked before but I'm wondering about the draft order if there's no season...?

They'd have to figure it out by agreement.  Here's how the NHL did it, according to wikipedia:

The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
With our draft lottery luck, the Clips will have the 11th worst record and win the [dang] thing.
CELTICS 2024

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
We probably won't get any of those top freshman returning.  Perry Jones is a possibility if his stock continues to drop, but if that's the case would we want him?  Imagine a draft though where we could get Jeremy Lamb at 11 to replace Ray Allen then a guy like Tyler Zeller late in the first round?  Say what you want about the Perkins trade, but this pick could help extend the window.
I was referring more to the trickle down effect it could have on the entire draft next year.

Barnes, Jones, Sullinger and Knight could all go in the top 5 next year, when no one expected them to even be in it. Next years draft class was so supposed to be a strong one even without them involved.

Think it's been asked before but I'm wondering about the draft order if there's no season...?

They'd have to figure it out by agreement.  Here's how the NHL did it, according to wikipedia:

The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.

Thanks Roy and also for previous question in thread....
Despite likely low Celtics position (if they don't rebuild), I'd prefer a draft based on a shortened season....(nice to have a season too..)

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

I agree.  I think it's better for both the NBA and NCAA.  Sure you have your special guys like LeBron who come along and contribute right away, but what about the guys like Daniel Orton and BJ Mullens?  They are wasting roster spots which veterans could have while they are still in school.  I never really got why the players association never wanted a rule like this in effect.  Teams are drafting some of these young guys purely out of potential and they're riding the pine while vets who are free agents and willing to play for the vet min could actually be productive.
do it

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Why should the NBA have to compromise with the NCAA?

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

The NCAA is one of the most ruthless exploiters of young basketball players.  How much money did OSU make off of Greg Oden in his freshman season?  How does a free year of tuition for a degree (which he had no intention of completing) compare to what he would have gotten for a season in the NBA?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline KGDunks

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 31
Would love a pick 11-14 next season. Because I think their could be a few guys who will be pretty talented at 11-14. This years draft isn't the best

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Would love a pick 11-14 next season. Because I think their could be a few guys who will be pretty talented at 11-14. This years draft isn't the best

I agree.  I think at least 2 of next year's 11 to 14 crop will be eventual all-stars.....

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

The NCAA is one of the most ruthless exploiters of young basketball players.  How much money did OSU make off of Greg Oden in his freshman season?  How does a free year of tuition for a degree (which he had no intention of completing) compare to what he would have gotten for a season in the NBA?

At the same time, the NBA is a very harsh environment for kids straight out of high school.  Some super talented players are given the benefit of the doubt, but for most the NBA is a place where you either succeed right away or fall to the wayside and fail utterly.

I think the ideal situation would be that players who are sure they want to go the NBA (and have the talent to do so)would go into the D-league and spend a year or three there until they develop into NBA-level players.  Some players would still get drafted straight out of high school, but they'd be required to spend at least a year in the D-league system. 

Of course, the D-league is not a great environment for kids right out of high school at the moment, either.  It still needs work before it can become an ideal development league for players just starting out.

I think players that do choose to go to college and play basketball should be required to spend at least 2-3 years there.  As long as there is a palatable alternative (e.g. D-league), it wouldn't be oppressive or exploitative to have such a requirement.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Teric Jones is awful, maybe he will drastically improve over the next year...but i doubt it. He is no where near a franchise player nonetheless a franchise player we need.  Now if we could trade up for Barnes...that would be a fantastic move.