Author Topic: Some thoughts on Walker and CDR  (Read 1973 times)

Some thoughts on Walker and CDR
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I live in Houston and therefore watch a lot of C-USA and Big Twelve hoops. This debate about taking Walker over CDR does not hold water. Getting Walker at 47 was a stunning coup for us. Before his injury he was a lock as a top 10 pick. Injuries scare teams unduly these days. When you consider the number of players who get work done on their knees and come back perfectly fine, it becomes a little hysterical the way people carry on about it. (Look at Leon on our own team) I have watched at least 7 games Walker played in and around 4 or 5 Memphis games. My first point is conference strength. the C-USA is a joke in Basketball. In baseball, whole other story, but in hoops, very poor. Compared to the level of play in the Big Twelve, C-USA is J.V. Just off the top of your head, name 4 C-USA schools.....Unless you live around here, you can't do it. On the other hand, anyone can quickly name a number of Big Twelve progams with ease. At best, C-USA is like the Colonial conference up north. CDR put up numbers against sub-par competition while Walker did it against better teams along with a black whole on his team in Beasley. (Another point, who was the point guard for K-State? Exactly, nobody special, certainly no one like Rose to set you up.)Watching Walker play himself into shape, I would say to myself, "with proper help, this guy would be a killer again" He had a run of games from Jan 1 into March where he was just outstanding. He simply plays like wings typically do these days in the NBA. CDR just does not strike you that way. For starters he is plain slow. You do not see any "extra gear" or any power out of his games. Walker has this in spades. Let our training staff get some time with Walker I think by the end of this season we will have one of the biggest second round steals since Arenas.

Re: Some thoughts on Walker and CDR
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
I truly hope you're right, ctrey, I hope you're right.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine