Author Topic: Celtics not participating in Summer League; does anybody care?  (Read 11605 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've seen a few comments in the forums over the couple of days, indicating excitement about summer league this year.  However, for the first time in awhile, the Celtics won't be participating.

From the March 16 Globe:

The Celtics have been regular participants in the Las Vegas Summer League these past few years, but that is going to come to an end this July. With a veteran-laden roster, many of them free agents-to-be, it might be hard to get a team of Definite Celtics together for 2008-09.

"Baby [Glen Davis] would have to play point guard," Doc Rivers cracked.

But, seriously, Davis, Gabe Pruitt, and Mr. First-Round Draft Pick would be the only real Celtics on the roster, so, for that reason, the team will instead hold a minicamp in Waltham for undrafted players and assorted other mid- to lower-level free agents. (In other words, don't expect to see Antawn Jamison show up.)

"I think we're going to put as much time in this summer as we always have, but not in the form of participating in a summer league," Danny Ainge said. "We're going to try something different.

"We've had free agent minicamps before, but usually they were just for a couple days. We'd like to do this for a week, probably before the Vegas Summer League. We want it to be more Celtic-like, do some of our things and not just have it like a game of pickup basketball. There'll be more in-depth stuff with our own coaching staff."

Ainge said he still plans to attend the Vegas Summer League, but only for scouting purposes.

"I go to all the summer leagues," he said, "and try to look at the players and see which rookies we might have missed or passed on. So I'll probably be there for a few days."

In other words, the golf courses won't go unused.

And from last Friday's Globe:

The Celtics won't have a summer league team, but tentatively have rookie and free agent camps in Waltham scheduled July 3-7.

I don't have a problem with this; I think summer league is of limited utility, especially since it's unlikely that any undrafted rookie is going to make our roster.  Most of the players on our roster currently have gotten significant playing time this year, and there's relatively little for any of them to prove.

It would be nice to see Pruitt and the #30 pick playing against NBA competition, but that's a fairly minor concern (and if the Celtics run organized scrimmages during their camp, the level of competition could be close to that seen in Vegas, although our guys wouldn't be playing against the top young players.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Celtics not participating in Summer League; does anybody care?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I understand.  There will be maybe 5 guys the Celtics would have there that could be part of the team. 

The rest of the team is just auditioning for other teams. 

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we should have an MLE camp where free agents compete for a chance to play on this roster - we could even make it a reality tv show
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
we should have an MLE camp where free agents compete for a chance to play on this roster - we could even make it a reality tv show

Call the Celtics and offer to hold the fan voting here. 

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'd be upset if there was still a league playing at UMASS Boston.  I always had fun going there.  The game when we played LeBron and the Cavs was awesome.  We had great Summer League all stars such as Marcus Banks and Kedrick Brown.  Since that league isn't around anymore I'm not that upset.  We do have a veteran team without many players who would be playing. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:07:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'll say it again: Bring back Gerald...He owned the Summer League

Mr. August
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Ya know if Gerald Green came back for the minimum contract, it might not be such a bad idea.  He is still young, still has potential I wouldn't mind giving him another chance.  Also, I was one of the Gerald haters, but he did have the ability to put the ball in the basket.
do it

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

TP u make my day

Playing with the Starzz!!!  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
The only Summer League I hope the Celtics participate in is the NBA Finals.  Other then that I could careless. 

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't care. I think it's the right decision as I said in another thread. Not enough value to make it worthwhile.

I'll be watching all the Summer League anyway, it's great fun watching all the youth prepare. Gives you a chance to see who's likely to make an impact. Loved watching Stuckey last year ... and that Aldridge/Oden combo.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm disappointed because I had plans to go with my buddy to Vegas to watch the C's in the summer league.  Watching the C's was our main excuse for a Vegas getaway, now will just have to come up with some over cover to get away from our families.  Not that we still can't go watch the summer league still, but it wouldn't be the same without being able to cheer on your team.  And it was always nice to be able to catch a summer league game on TV in the middle of summer when there was nothing else on.  I understand there is no need for a summer league team, still disappointed about it though  :'(

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
IMHO this is a mistake. Now that they're paying the luxury tax, they're trying to do player development on the cheap.  You can scrimmage in-house until your sneakers fall off and it's no substitute for real competition against the young playrs from other teams.  Ainge is doing a disservice to BBD, Pruitt and his two draft picks.

Of course, he may already have arranged to trade the rights in his two picks, so maybe that's the reason for this move.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
[dang].  I loved the summer league, if nothing more than to get some basketball to break up a summer without any Celtic action.  I also loved the reactionary threads to the games and the summer league heroes that some posters would be up in arms about (Why didn't we stay put at 5 and draft Marco Belinelli!).
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
IMHO this is a mistake. Now that they're paying the luxury tax, they're trying to do player development on the cheap.  You can scrimmage in-house until your sneakers fall off and it's no substitute for real competition against the young playrs from other teams.  Ainge is doing a disservice to BBD, Pruitt and his two draft picks.

Of course, he may already have arranged to trade the rights in his two picks, so maybe that's the reason for this move.

I wish this with all my strenghts
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I blame Cassell for this too! ;)

Convo before signing Cassell:

Ainge: I'd like to sign another guard, Wyc
Wyc: What's wrong with House?
Ainge: He's fine, but we need pg insurance in case of an injury
Wyc: I don't know. I'm already paying the luxury tax you know?
Ainge: How about we cover Sam's cost by not having a Summer League team?
Wyc: Well, I guess that's fine. Just let Doc know that Sam is only for    insurance purposes only. I don't want him messing up our on court chemistry.
Ainge: No worries. Doc's a great coach.