Author Topic: How exactly does a trade with commitment to resign work  (Read 2063 times)

How exactly does a trade with commitment to resign work
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
If Danny guts this team for another season like what Kyries turned into.
The gamble of keeping Davis to sell him on Boston.The attraction to LA  may not fade .Do you risk the next decade on a player that didn't want to be here for the 2nd year in a row.

Also i read Griffin might want this trade done on draft night.
This Kyrie trade has gone wobbly and to be pressed into a trade without 100% willingness that Davis stays is irresponsible management as he may get injured or Kyrie walks and we have given up our youth.

Remember Danny, how much you wanted to give away for Winslow. Think of the time invested and the playoff experience of Marcus,Jaylen and Jayson.
Danny do you want your legacy to end with two bad trades for stars that didn't stay.

Re: How exactly does a trade with commitment to resign work
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 07:46:50 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
You will never get 100% assurance that the player will stay. But if they say they are willing to re-sign, and you have the ability to pay more than anyone else (Bird rights), then you have to be willing to take the gamble.

If you try to build a team without taking any risks, you'll be a treadmill team at best
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 08:06:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
At what point can you extend or offer a new contract after a trade.These players have no loyalty to new teams traded too and no history, At the same time it will be their first opportunity, as to where THEY want to play and with whom.Boston winters are not for everybody.I preferred Boston year round to Florida year round.
My choice would be Clippers for Jerry West and Doc Rivers and Steve Balmer.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
At what point can you extend or offer a new contract after a trade.These players have no loyalty to new teams traded too and no history, At the same time it will be their first opportunity as to where THEY want to play and with whom.Boston winters are not for everybody.I preferred Boston year round to Florida year round.
My choice would be Clippers for Jerry West and Doc Rivers and Steve Balmer.

You can actually have an extension as part of a trade (it's similar to a sign-and-trade, but extend-and-trades are much more rare and AFAIK has only happened once, when Melo was traded to NYK). The issue with extensions, though, is that a player like AD has no incentive to sign one. He stands to make way, way more money by just waiting a year and signing as a free agent
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You will never get 100% assurance that the player will stay. But if they say they are willing to re-sign, and you have the ability to pay more than anyone else (Bird rights), then you have to be willing to take the gamble.

If you try to build a team without taking any risks, you'll be a treadmill team at best
This.  I don’t see Ainge having much choice.  “Special” players (DA’s word) are hard to come by, but absolutely essential. He will take he gamble, rollie.   

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

What risk did GS, Bucks, Raptors, Spurs, ect. take?  Seems like they kept the players they felt were worth it and let them grow together, and add pieces that fit their vision.  Even Philly is doing that.

Or the 90's Bulls, Detroit, Pacers, Knicks, Sonics, Jazz, Portland, Houston, the 80's Celts, Lakers, Philly?

I have no idea how yall come to these conclusions when only the Heat and 08 Celts were ever able to pull that off.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:04:48 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I certainly don't have the balls to gut my team for a "maybe".

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Honestly Davis seems like a Boston kinda guy, and would probably be comfortable here, but I would wait until he's completely free to go after him, and Kyrie would also limit his effectiveness, so getting rid of him is mandatory.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Honestly Davis seems like a Boston kinda guy, and would probably be comfortable here, but I would wait until he's completely free to go after him, and Kyrie would also limit his effectiveness, so getting rid of him is mandatory.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
The simple answer to this is that there are no real guaranteed commitments. Guys play poker on their introduction meeting. Only ever get clues from context of private discussions
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Listen, Kyrie is not nearly as "great" a player as you think he is.

Matter fact Westbrook is superior to that guy in EVERY way...but guess what?

They both have the same mentality and I would say Kyrie is even way more problematic.

Kyrie needs to go period...and you guys sure know how to show your age.

I guess you can go cry to the mods for an ignore button cause you can't deal with the real.

Kyrie can't even hold John wall's jock strap either, and him and Beal who yall value so much NEVER GO ANYWHERE.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

They both have the same mentality and I would say Kyrie is even way more problematic.

I guess you can go cry to the mods for an ignore button cause you can't deal with the real.

I'll ignore the age comment - that is asinine.

It is also not really worth debating this with people like you, but as has been said a million times:

1) Why in the world would AD choose to stay here if there wasn't another high level star on the roster? We have one year to impress him and he is going to want concrete proof that we are contenders.

2) Why in the world would you let a high level star in his prime walk for nothing? The only way you will be able to replace Kyrie is with a vet minimum contract. Even if you hate him, you should still want us to sign him and then trade him next off-season for a substantial return.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

It is also not really worth debating this with people like you, but as has been said a million times:

1) Why in the world would AD choose to stay here if there wasn't another high level star on the roster? We have one year to impress him and he is going to want concrete proof that we are contenders.

2) Why in the world would you let a high level star in his prime walk for nothing? The only way you will be able to replace Kyrie is with a vet minimum contract. Even if you hate him, you should still want us to sign him and then trade him next off-season for a substantial return.

Guys like me that only want the best cohesive unit on the floor with the aggressive "playing for each other" attitude last years team had. They will NEVER have that with Kyrie suited up.

If you think i'm somehow Anti-Celtic while you guys decisions are golden is beyond me.

If we sign him to trade...HE WILL HAVE TO PLAY...and the season is already lost no matter how many circus shots for the great Kyrie he will have.

We are over the cap and everyone knows it so how are you gonna pay all these guys?

And i'm telling yall...trading Tatum is gonna break yalls heart a few years from now.

Oh, and if Davis can't see he's the missing piece for this team, and that it's better for us to keep our assets around him, or that Kyrie isn't good for his game...

Then he's just not the guy and there's plenty talent always coming through the NBA. I don't know why yall act so desperate.

Probably because yall know deep down Danny is a horrible talent evaluator.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:51:07 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

1. AD will want to stay if the team made it to the finals or won a title. The second star thing is a means to an end. The concrete proof isn't the roster, its how well we do next year.

I think it is entirely plausible that Hayward and Brown both play much better and may reach near all-star level. We still also have Horford and can resign Morris and Baynes will probably stay. A Horford/Davis combo could be overpowering on both sides of the ball. With Davis and a solid role player at the point, that might make it out of the East next year. It would all depend on Hayward and Brown, but at least we know they both have the right attitude towards the team.

2. Kyrie is a star, but he will require a massive contract. The whole value proposition hinges on whether you feel he will be a positive or a negative factor in making AD want to stay. If Kyrie matures, it could be ideal, but that's a HUGE bet, because he has never shown that he can change how he plays to make someone else better. He was able to make it work with LeBron, but he didn't modify who he was one iota.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kyrie can't even hold John wall's jock strap either, and him and Beal who yall value so much NEVER GO ANYWHERE.
This is literally hilarious. I hope you're prepared for nobody to take you seriously when this is how you evaluate (liberal use of the word) talent
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)