Around the League > Transaction Ideas and Rumors

No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?

(1/12) > >>

slightly biased bias fan:
What a strange scenario in San Antonio, per Woj, the Spurs players have had a players only meeting asking Kawhi Leonard to return and he is still refusing and now Stephen Jackson on the Jump says this can't just be an injury issue now. If Leonard refuses an extension this offseason they will have to trade him as they will lose him next season for nothing. We won't be outbid for Kawhi's services, as no team have the right assets for a trade, especially given the Spurs are locked in to multiple vets long term and want continue competing. Philly won't give up Embiid or Simmons, Lakers don't have anyone other than Ingram and couldn't even match the salary's without giving Spurs a poison contract, the only other competition I could see is Washington if they trade either Beal or Wall but given their roster depth I can't see Leonard resigning. But the question remains do we want or need him? We'd definitely have to give up Tatum or Brown (maybe both) I still can't see Ainge trading Horford as it gives a bad look to potential free agents, where would Kawhi play? Small Forward? What about Hayward? Do you put him at Power Forward? Would he accept that given he is coming up to free agency?

There are so many questions here

Moranis:
We may not have the best package if there is a full on bidding war. Plenty of teams could potentially have far better packages especially the teams thay win the lottery this year (which could of course still be Boston if somehow the Lakers pick gets to 2 or 3).  I mean is Hield, Fox, and 1 something Boston could top. I'm not so sure, though I also have no idea why Sacto would give that up for 1 year of Leonard.  Phoenix, Philly, Orlando, etc. could also produce some very nice packages.

That said, I would trade the farm for Leonard as adding him to Irving and Hayward would make Boston a true legit contender for at least the next 5 seasons (if they all stayed)

tazzmaniac:

--- Quote from: Moranis on March 23, 2018, 09:24:28 AM ---We may not have the best package if there is a full on bidding war. Plenty of teams could potentially have far better packages especially the teams thay win the lottery this year (which could of course still be Boston if somehow the Lakers pick gets to 2 or 3).  I mean is Hield, Fox, and 1 something Boston could top. I'm not so sure, though I also have no idea why Sacto would give that up for 1 year of Leonard.  Phoenix, Philly, Orlando, etc. could also produce some very nice packages.

That said, I would trade the farm for Leonard as adding him to Irving and Hayward would make Boston a true legit contender for at least the next 5 seasons (if they all stayed)

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately for Kings fans, they've got one of the worst owners and GMs in the league.  They are one of two worst teams but they currently only have the 7th worst record.  I do agree that other teams could make strong offers.  The question is will they?  Most of the teams you mention are bottom feeders so Kawhi will just say he won't re-sign with them. 

PaulAllen:
with injury history and a new contract extension the most I would give up is Horford, Brown, Sac pick, Memphis pick, and Bos late first round pick... While its still a haul the Celtics can still get out of the Horford contract and add one of the best players in the league...

johnnygreen:
Please correct me if I’m wrong. We basically have 3 max guys, and the next highest paid player is Tatum at 6.7M. The problem I see is that the Celtics don’t have anyone in between to help match salaries (with Leonard scheduled to make around $20M next season). Without gutting the team, the only possible scenario I can think of is if Marcus Smart agrees to be part of a sign and trade. Could Danny then package Smart, Brown/Tatum, and the Lakers/Kings pick? If I’m giving up Brown/Tatum and the pick, I would hope Danny would be allowed to talk to Kawhi first to see gauge his interest in signing an extension.

In the era of position-less basketball, I think you get the player first, and then put the best players on the floor. I would think Hayward and Leonard could split duties between SG and SF. We may have to give up the dream of trading for Anthony Davis, and pounce on the opportunity to acquire another elite player who wants to be traded. Danny held onto assets to get Kyrie, so I wonder if he could do it again. Don’t get me wrong, I love Brown and Tatum, and I think they will both be really good. However, when you have the opportunity to get an All NBA player, both offensively and defensively, and is a proven playoff performer, then I don’t think you hesitate.

I think the biggest questions would be: 1. Does trading for Kawhi put the Celtics in a position to beat Golden State? 2. Will ownership be willing to pay the luxury tax by having four max players on the roster?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version