Author Topic: Woj : Anthony, Nuggets look ready to part ways  (Read 9521 times)

Re: Woj : Anthony, Nuggets look ready to part ways
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Get in on the deal Danny and get j.r. Smith!

if this forum had its way, we would have every screwup in the league suiting up for us.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
So I guess Billups might be on the trading block as well.

This is a bit disappointing, because last season Denver was pretty good, and if Coach Karl wasn't dealing with his health issues, then maybe Denver could have done better in the playoffs.

John Hollinger of ESPN.com points out that the Nuggets could also shop point guard Chauncey Billups if Carmelo Anthony is indeed traded.

"Remember, if the Nuggets trade Melo and rebuild, there's really no point in them keeping Billups either. Could be two All-Stars on market," Hollinger wrote on his Twitter page.

Anthony told Denver this week that he wants to be dealt.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68873/20100827/billups_might_be_a_trade_chip_as_well/#ixzz0xqHhF6tm

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Carmelo Anthony to Philadelphia for Iggy + T.Young?

A Holiday + Turner + Melo core for Phily to build around.

That would make sense. Louis Williams is no slouch at the 1 either. If they could just squeeze some life out of Brand...

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think Denver management will care who they send him to.  By trading Carmelo, they are committing to rebuild.  They will likely look for the best upside youth and draft picks they can get their hands on. 

I wonder if LA will dangle Bynum. I am not sure Carmelo makes them a better team in the short run give that they lose some height/size that I think they will need in the Finals this year.  But they'll have an awfully formidable Big 3 in Kobe, Carmelo and Gasol (plus Odom). Ouch.    Denver gets the brittle, but potentially dominant big in Bynum -- a pretty substantial gamble for them in my opinion (but one that could pay).

That would make some great matchups in the finals if they play Boston or Miami.  Each teams' three best players would be the SG-SF-PF positions.  Especially L.A.-Miami.  It would also give Boston a size advantage against both teams, even if our size advantage would be from guys way past their prime.

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I wonder if we still had Sheed's contract if we could get in the mix for Carmelo.   Sheed, Perk, Davis, and Bradley for Melo.   Have a 3 man rotation between Melo, Paul, and Ray for the SG and SF spots. 

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 08:16:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I would love to see a team step up and show a player negative consequences to this type of behavior. That being said, I hope Denver plays hard ball and doesn't trade him or give him an extension.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wonder if we still had Sheed's contract if we could get in the mix for Carmelo.   Sheed, Perk, Davis, and Bradley for Melo.   Have a 3 man rotation between Melo, Paul, and Ray for the SG and SF spots.  

Why on earth would the Nuggets ever do that deal?

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That would make sense. Louis Williams is no slouch at the 1 either. If they could just squeeze some life out of Brand...

It makes a ton of sense for Philly, but not so much for Denver.  I don't think they want to take on Iggy's long-term money, and Young hasn't really improved much over the last couple of seasons.  Philly was very disappointed in him last year, injuries or not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

It makes a ton of sense for Philly, but not so much for Denver.  I don't think they want to take on Iggy's long-term money, and Young hasn't really improved much over the last couple of seasons.  Philly was very disappointed in him last year, injuries or not.

One could argue that the 76ers main issue was their coaching last season.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I wonder if we still had Sheed's contract if we could get in the mix for Carmelo.   Sheed, Perk, Davis, and Bradley for Melo.   Have a 3 man rotation between Melo, Paul, and Ray for the SG and SF spots. 

Why on earth would the Nuggets ever do that deal?

Well on earth and in the NBA crazier trades have happened.  First and foremost the Gasol trade but there have been others.   Plus I think it does give Denver something to work with.   Perk if returns healthy is a top defensive center in the NBA which is hard to come by.    Davis has proven when given starters minutes (like 2 years ago in the playoffs) can put up 15 and 8 numbers.  Lastly I think Bradley a former #1 overall high school prospect I think can be a stud but needs time at age 19.   So that's 3 potential starters for your team. 

Another major major point is the team receiving Melo would want him to agree to an extension prior to the trade ala the KG trade.  Melo would only do that for a solid organization not some bum team so that could give us a leg up.

Of course none of this matters since we don't have Sheed's contract to work with.

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That was probably the #1 issue, but I don't think you can 100% blame Young's lack of growth on Eddie Jordan.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

That was probably the #1 issue, but I don't think you can 100% blame Young's lack of growth on Eddie Jordan.

Not 100%, but this upcoming season will be the true indicator of how much blame pie he truly deserves. Not a single player bought into that half-court, backdoor-cut style Jordan was selling. Also, his unpredictable rotations didn't help much either because players didn't know their roles.

I expect Williams, Young and Hawes to have better seasons under a well prepared "know your job" type of coach like Collins.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Wow, If players from the Nuggets end up being traded to Eastern conference teams as a result of this we may see a sort of power-shift away from the West as far as the wins column is concerned.

The problem being that no team in the West seems to pose a significant threat to the Lakers' chances of advancing to the Finals...could you imagine Carmelo playing for the Spurs, or the Rockets w/ Yao Ming? Maybe the Suns with Steve Nash, however if Melo + Iverson,  or Melo + Chauncey couldn't beat the Lake-Show then I doubt he'd be able to get it done even with Steve Nash. Maybe on the Mavericks with Jason Kidd and Dirk but even that's just wishful thinking before a season where Phil Jackson is attempting to 3-peat for the 4th time.

I could see him in the East on the Knicks, Hawks, Bulls, maybe even the Wizards w/ John Wall but then the Western conference to me would seem out of balance because the Lakers would again just have a cake-walk to the Finals...maybe the Hornets?  :-\
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Wow, If players from the Nuggets end up being traded to Eastern conference teams as a result of this we may see a sort of power-shift away from the West as far as the wins column is concerned.

The problem being that no team in the West seems to pose a significant threat to the Lakers' chances of advancing to the Finals...could you imagine Carmelo playing for the Spurs, or the Rockets w/ Yao Ming? Maybe the Suns with Steve Nash, however if Melo + Iverson,  or Melo + Chauncey couldn't beat the Lake-Show then I doubt he'd be able to get it done even with Steve Nash. Maybe on the Mavericks with Jason Kidd and Dirk but even that's just wishful thinking before a season where Phil Jackson is attempting to 3-peat for the 4th time.

I could see him in the East on the Knicks, Hawks, Bulls, maybe even the Wizards w/ John Wall but then the Western conference to me would seem out of balance because the Lakers would again just have a cake-walk to the Finals...maybe the Hornets?  :-\

If Oden can stay healthy I think Portland will be a force in the playoffs next season and stand a chance anyway. But yeah, Unfortunately it's an even easier path for the Lakers.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

If Oden can stay healthy I think Portland will be a force in the playoffs next season and stand a chance anyway. But yeah, Unfortunately it's an even easier path for the Lakers.

Don't count Carmelo going to the Knicks yet... Rockets are said to be his prefered choice depending on which source you believe.  The Rockets if they can land Carmelo with out trading Yao in a deal for him will definitely be able to take down the Lakers.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce