Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez  (Read 10142 times)

Re: Rudy Fernandez
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
He didn't look too good vs France in Spain's opener, going 3-10 (2-7 from the arc) with 0 ast and 2 TO's...

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I really don't understand the fascination with this guy on this board. I don't see it. Maybe this guy grows into the kind of wing we need, but he's definitely not even close to there yet.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:01:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get the fascination for him. I don't get how anyone thinks he's worth a first round pick that would be around 19-25 in the draft. I don't get that we even need him. And I don't why we should get him if Delonte West, a better player, is available for a minimum contract.

I just don't get it.

We need a backup SF, not a semi one dimensional backup SG that isn't very good defensively. We have Avery Bradley, Von Wafer and Marquis Daniels on this team and could go out and get Delonte for less than Rudy. he is just not an upgrade and not worth it.

And this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with how he played yesterday.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Delonte West a better player than Rudy?? Have you ever even seen the Blazers play? Rudy is a million times better than Delonte. I would rather have Scal back on this team than Delonte.

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 10:24:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Delonte West a better player than Rudy?? Have you ever even seen the Blazers play? Rudy is a million times better than Delonte. I would rather have Scal back on this team than Delonte.
Delonte is easily a better player than Fernandez. Take away the off court drama and on court, Delonte is a much better player. And yes, I've seen enough of Rudy Fernandez play to have an informed opinion on this.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I don't get the facnination either.  I guess Rudy is perceived to have more of that ever desired "up-side" than players like Von Wafer, Daniels, D. West, Jarvis Hayes, Larry Hughes...  I see all of these guys as different but relatively equal interchangeable parts.  I think we are fine with who we have and the team isn't really any better if we add another at this point as they can't all play anyway.  I guess you could say another options give flexibility for match-ups or situational substitutions but I actually rather keep the roster flexibility for now.  If someone goes down and we need to bring some one in mid season, so be it.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm not a huge Delonte West fan at all, particularly given his immense off-court issues.

But as far as sheer contribution to next year's Celtics, I have absolutely zero doubt he's a better fit for the club than Rudy.

And Ainge is a fool if he deals a 1st rounder for that.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Delonte is easily a better player than Fernandez. Take away the off court drama and on court, Delonte is a much better player. And yes, I've seen enough of Rudy Fernandez play to have an informed opinion on this.

Can you actually take that drama away though, it's a serious health concern.

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm not a huge Delonte West fan at all, particularly given his immense off-court issues.

But as far as sheer contribution to next year's Celtics, I have absolutely zero doubt he's a better fit for the club than Rudy.

And Ainge is a fool if he deals a 1st rounder for that.

Ignoring Delonte, though, the real question is how does Rudy stack up to Daniels and Wafer. Is he better than them? If so, would the increase in production we'd get from Rudy over Wafer/Daniels in a year that we're contending for a title worth more than a pick in the mid-20s?

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Delonte West is a 6 foot 3 shooting guard... We have enough undersized players as it is....How would he help us? And why do people like him so much? He is terrible. I just dont understand.

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't get the fascination for him. I don't get how anyone thinks he's worth a first round pick that would be around 19-25 in the draft. I don't get that we even need him. And I don't why we should get him if Delonte West, a better player, is available for a minimum contract.

I just don't get it.

We need a backup SF, not a semi one dimensional backup SG that isn't very good defensively. We have Avery Bradley, Von Wafer and Marquis Daniels on this team and could go out and get Delonte for less than Rudy. he is just not an upgrade and not worth it.

TP...i agree with you here.If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.Height is a big deal as well because he will be expected to cover the likes of players like James,Melo,etc.at times.Even though he will be backing Paul up that doesn't mean he will only play aganist other backups. (imo)

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I just don't get it.

TP...i agree with you here.If the player is suppose to be Pierce's backup,i expect the player to give near to what Paul gives both defensively and offensively,only in shorter periods.Height is a big deal as well because he will be expected to cover the likes of players like James,Melo,etc.at times.Even though he will be backing Paul up that doesn't mean he will only play aganist other backups. (imo)

Tony Allen is only 6-4...not much bigger than 6-3.  And he covered SF's reasonably well.

I was just thinking that maybe the hand-check rule makes size less important on the permimeter, as quickness and strength (to get to and hold a spot, or quickness in the hands) may be the keys defensively, rather than size and strength...unless the opponent is a knock-down quick-release long-ball, which not too many of the guys we're worried about have (LBJ, Carmelo, GWallace, etc.).  I guess if the defender can stay in front, help and recover quickly, and is aggressive, that's more important than size?  If so, being guard-heavy is okay, especially with the C's front line.

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54
Today vs. New Zealand: 25mins, 12 pts (2pts 2/3 ; 3pts 2/2 ; FT 2/2) 12 rebs (1 offense, 11 defense)

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not sure one is clearly better than the other here are the stats.

I think West is a more flexible player and the better defender. But Rudy has more potential at this point and also is a better offensive player.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54