Author Topic: Conspiracy: Stern wants Gasol's legacy to disappear  (Read 13094 times)

Conspiracy: Stern wants Gasol's legacy to disappear
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Despite the fact that in both '09 and especially this past year, '10, Pau Gasol was a major force, if not the real 2010 finals MVP, for the Lakers title run. Stern has an abject need to maintain the myth of the Superman franchise player.

Thus, you'll always hear the Lakers being referred to as Kobe and the Lakers.

What he's trying to do is use retrospective amnesia and erase the existence of Gasol by shifting attention into a merry-go-round with Ron Ron, Bynum's Knee, and Odom and his media circus family, the Kardashians. The end result is that people mis-recall the Lakers as Kobe and the Lakers.

The truth, as we saw in Game 5 of the '10 finals, if Kobe tries to win the game alone, he's almost guaranteed to lose to an opponent with great team defense like the Celtics. Stern does not want the general public to believe that defense wins championships but that supermen win championships esp with a few role players.

Re: Conspiracy: Stern wants Gasol's legacy to disappear
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Huh? Is this like "Angelina Jolie Tells Brad, 'Stop Cheating On Me With Anthropomorphic Personifications!' Tooth Fairy Denies All Rumors Saying, 'What, Friends Can Listen To Endless Love In The Dark!'"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Interesting. And valid points seeing as how Kobe was in no way shape or form an MVP quality player in the Finals.

However I'd rather the Gasol legacy be squashed and suppressed by  his team not being handed titles by the league.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Huh? Is this like "Angelina Jolie Tells Brad, 'Stop Cheating On Me With Anthropomorphic Personifications!' Tooth Fairy Denies All Rumors Saying, 'What, Friends Can Listen To Endless Love In The Dark!'"
The conspiracies get bizarre-er by the day.

Basically, any state of the universe that didn't happen must be due to Stern's manipulations. Why is the world the way it is? It is Stern's divine will.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Fox Mulder once mentioned that the military-industrial-entertainment complex is trying to alter society's perception of reality.

In the b-ball world, Stern is the complex. LeBron industries was a creation of Stern. Without it, the world would not have dubbed him the messiah w/o a title. Now, with the LeBron 'superman' role in jeopardy, thanks to the Miami trifecta, Stern needs the dissolution of Pau Gasol. Because once the world forgets Gasol (see "The Forgotten" w/ Julianne Moore), Kobe can be anointed as Messiah to make up for the doomed legacy of LeBron.

I repeat, Stern does not believe in team b-ball, only supermen.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's not a conspiracy and Stern has nothing to do with it. It's the writers.

Sports writers in general are the laziest "creative" people there are. In this (and nearly all" cases, they just begin with a premise (here "it's kobe's team and kobe is the best") then take what actually happens (6-24, Gasol clear team MVP) and fit it into whatever they thought before the events unfolded (Kobe makes his teammates better, it's his competitiveness that rubs off on Gasol, KOBE did what it took to win, intangibles, etc.). They don't actually take new information and form new ideas.

It's the definition of un-objective, un-scientific thinking.

Biggest example is Bill Simmons and his book. He takes a neat story with Isiah (would have been good enough as a standalone story), but "The Secret" the premise of his whole book. He then declares from the outset, that you need The Secret to win. His evidence, then, is a chronilogical accounting of Championship teams and players and thus searching for how each of those possess The Secret. It's completely circular in logic: You need X to win, and the only evidence X exists, the only way to see who has it, is to look at who wins!

I heard him discussing how he'll have to re-write the Kobe stuff. Did Kobe change as a player? no. He's always been the same: very good. But according to Simmons' logic, he didn't have The Secret, then somehow, without changing anything about his play or attitude, because he's won without Shaq, he now has it! Weird.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fox Mulder once mentioned that the military-industrial-entertainment complex is trying to alter society's perception of reality.

In the b-ball world, Stern is the complex. LeBron industries was a creation of Stern. Without it, the world would not have dubbed him the messiah w/o a title. Now, with the LeBron 'superman' role in jeopardy, thanks to the Miami trifecta, Stern needs the dissolution of Pau Gasol. Because once the world forgets Gasol (see "The Forgotten" w/ Julianne Moore), Kobe can be anointed as Messiah to make up for the doomed legacy of LeBron.

I repeat, Stern does not believe in team b-ball, only supermen.
Fox Mulder is a fictional character.

This "conspiracy" is every big a fiction as Mulder is.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

Conan the Barbarian was a fictional character of Cimmeria, written by R.E. Howard, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in '82.

Yet, from anthropology, the Cimmerian settlements, situated in the land of today's Russia were in fact conquered by barbarian chiefs of Scythia in pre-Hellenic times. Thus, a fiction was in fact, inspired by events from a prior age.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think there is a national impression that Gasol stole any of Kobe's thunder.

Stern doesn't need to dampen Gasol's light because Kobe's star power has never shined brighter.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Conan the Barbarian was a fictional character of Cimmeria, written by R.E. Howard, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in '82.

Yet, from anthropology, the Cimmerian settlements, situated in the land of today's Russia were in fact conquered by barbarian chiefs of Scythia in pre-Hellenic times. Thus, a fiction was in fact, inspired by events from a prior age.

And yet still fiction.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Despite the fact that in both '09 and especially this past year, '10, Pau Gasol was a major force, if not the real 2010 finals MVP, for the Lakers title run. Stern has an abject need to maintain the myth of the Superman franchise player.

Thus, you'll always hear the Lakers being referred to as Kobe and the Lakers.

What he's trying to do is use retrospective amnesia and erase the existence of Gasol by shifting attention into a merry-go-round with Ron Ron, Bynum's Knee, and Odom and his media circus family, the Kardashians. The end result is that people mis-recall the Lakers as Kobe and the Lakers.

The truth, as we saw in Game 5 of the '10 finals, if Kobe tries to win the game alone, he's almost guaranteed to lose to an opponent with great team defense like the Celtics. Stern does not want the general public to believe that defense wins championships but that supermen win championships esp with a few role players.

I don't think that Gasol is being ignored, but this is in fact Kobe's team. Kobe shot an abysmal 25% in a Clinching Game 7 on National TV, but yet he wins the MVP.

To his credit, he did pull down 15 rebs in that game, so that was his saving grace.

But to me, Ron Ron's D on Pierce and Ron Ron's clutch 3's saved that game for LA.

IMO, I think Gasol gets much credit over there, but ever since they shoved Shaq out of town yrs ago this has been Kobe's team, no matter how bad he plays.

You are right, TM, about the Superman myth, I think. Even back in 2007-08, there was little mention of our defense winning it for us.

You have to hand it to Stern - he knows that Offense sells tickets, that's why Wade, Lebron, Kobe, etc will always get props from Stern.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
still fiction

President Eisenhower's Farewell Address

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
You are right, TM, about the Superman myth, I think. Even back in 2007-08, there was little mention of our defense winning it for us.

Yep, and thus, even the 2004 Pistons effort was forgotten.

You have to hand it to Stern - he knows that Offense sells tickets

This is the need to continually harp endlessly about Michael Jordan, from here till kingdom come. And the need to always have a new Jordan all ready, pre-packaged for the subsequent generation... see the saga of the late great King James. Now, he's just a knight in Wade's court.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

This is the need to continually harp endlessly about Michael Jordan, from here till kingdom come. And the need to always have a new Jordan all ready, pre-packaged for the subsequent generation... see the saga of the late great King James. Now, he's just a knight in Wade's court.

Your comments make me wary of David Stern even more.

How old is he? Does he have plans to retire soon?

And on that note (David Stern retiring) - who would be a good person to take his place? I think they would need to be an outsider.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Additionally - what do we tell our sons and daughters who play basketball now? Aren't we supposed to preach team and defense to them while they're young?

I don't blame Mr Stern for pushing Michael, Kobe, etc - but he has to market his craft better.

Defense wins Championships, but with the youngsters it is hard to get that message across sometimes when all they see is Lebron.