Author Topic: T-mac signs with Pistons for Vet Min.  (Read 7412 times)

Re: T-mac signs with Pistons for Vet Min.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Adrian Wojnarowski   WojYahooNBA

Tracy McGrady has reach agreement on a one year, $1.3 million contract with the Pistons, league sources tell Y! Sports. Story soon on Y!

TMac is an idiot then, Pistons are not going anywhere this year

I'm more disappointed that the Pistons have talent and can't even make it to the playoffs, not even 7th or 8th seed...

Detroit will be a playoff team this year if they're healthy. Health played a huge part in the reason why they didn't make the 6th,7th, or 8th seed last year. Three of the top scorers were consistently injured.

Detroit is a fairly deep team. Although I expect Hamilton to be traded this summer.

PG: Stuckey/Bynum
SG: Hamilton/Gordon/White
SF: Prince/Mcgrady/Daye/Summers
PG: Monroe/Jerebko/Villanueva/Maxiell
C:  Wallace/Wilcox

Mcgrady will give them size at the two if Hamilton is traded for a frontcourt player. Monroe will be a stud. Prince will probably stay due to his expiring contract, if not, Dumars will wait till the trade deadline.
I don't see it. 30-35 wins and 10th place in the East sounds more like it to me.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Detroit could get lucky with a trade or two, maybe they could squeeze in to the very bottom of the playoffs.  Not right now, though.  Kind of see them battling around with the Pacers, in that ~34 - 36 win space, not *quite* good enough to make it in but not bad enough to get a difference-making draft pick.

EDIT: Next year's likely playoff teams:
Miami
Boston
Orlando
Chicago (really like the Boozer signing)
Atlanta
Milwaukee (don't like all of their moves this summer, but mostly for cost; they'll be back in)

That's six teams.  Charlotte could fall back, they still aren't a great team but they made the playoffs and Larry Brown makes them play hard.  New York had a disappointing summer overall, but they've still improved a lot and I think has a good chance to earn the #7 seed.   Toronto was basically a .500 club last year, but missed out.  Let me go on record as saying I'm not sure how much worse off they'll be without Bosh.  Philly could get better, quickly, if Evan Turner is as good as advertised.  Indiana's not great, but a turnaround season from Danny Granger and a little health could get them up to #8. 

Even Washington should be a lot better with John Wall, and MAYBE Arenas can give them something positive. 

COULD Detroit emerge over that mass of .350 - .500 ballclubs?  MAYBE - but seems like it's usually teams that get infused with new talent (like Turner, or Wall) that surprise.  Detroit had injury issues last year, yes, but still - they won fewer than one-third of their games and haven't really added anyone to the roster. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:30:12 PM by the_Bird »

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't see how this is a good fit for either side.

Detroit is loaded at the wing slot. Guys like Jerebko, Daye, and Gordon need minutes. According to reports, Prince will not be traded without his consent, and not until the trade deadline. And would anyone trade for Rip Hamilton's contract at this point?

If McGrady wanted minutes, why didn't he sign with Cleveland for the minimum? They brought him in for a workout earlier this week.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If McGrady wanted minutes, why didn't he sign with Cleveland for the minimum? They brought him in for a workout earlier this week.

Most likely, same reason he's not back in New York.  They saw what he had to give, and likely didn't think he was worth a contract offer. 

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If this is true awful deal for McGrady... If thats the case I would have loved to see Boston give him the vet min to be the back up 3... I mean seriously?He chose the Pistons? Wow.

exactly what i thought, why the pistons, they're not going anywhere

if he wants the vet min, just come to us...Pistons not giving him starting role anyways

Why would you want somebody like McGrady or Iverson??... Disruptive primadonnas who play when they feel like it.  

Dumars must have amnesia.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Detroit isn't going to make the playoffs.  They are a total mess.  Dumars needs to blow it all up and start over.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Detroit isn't going to make the playoffs.  They are a total mess.  Dumars needs to blow it all up and start over.

I disagree.

1. Detroit was absolutely devastated by injuries last year. When healthy, they are an extremely deep team. 

2. They play in the Eastern conference.

3. They play in the Central Division, with Cleveland and Indiana, two other weak teams.

I believe they will be in the running for the 8th seed.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
McGrady's home jersey is now on sale!

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If this is true awful deal for McGrady... If thats the case I would have loved to see Boston give him the vet min to be the back up 3... I mean seriously?He chose the Pistons? Wow.

exactly what i thought, why the pistons, they're not going anywhere

if he wants the vet min, just come to us...Pistons not giving him starting role anyways

Why would you want somebody like McGrady or Iverson??... Disruptive primadonnas who play when they feel like it. 

Dumars must have amnesia.

McGrady plays when he feels like it? He was hurt the last two/three years and the Rockets were the ones that told him not to show up... Hardly Mcgradys decision. When a player is hurt/injured, I think they have a choice in when they are feeling healthy enough to play or not....

And your complaining about players choosing when and when not to play but you fail to mention the biggest doer of that policy in one of our own players, Shaq?

McGrady on this contract would have been a perfect fit for us here in Boston. A three that can score against the best of them, provide the three slot with length, and have the veteran presence to fit the current role. His injury wouldnt bother me because we would be in the range of 15 minutes a game.

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
McGrady's home jersey is now on sale!

Good find!
Celtics fan for life.