Author Topic: Standing reach  (Read 1848 times)

Standing reach
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:41:22 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Temont Waters on this board had a standing reach only a bit under Carson Edwards and Carson is taller with 6-6 wingspan
.Was this an error?
Tremont hasn't received much press. but 40.5 max vertical tie for 4th- 2nd in 3/4 sprints
A surprising gift is Waters. and I think his standing reach one in shorter than Carson but he has a 10 inch higher max vertical and  several inches from standing  strength he pressed 6 to Carson's 14.

Carson ranked 6th in lane agility 3rd in shuttle run but was surprised by max vert only 30.5 bench pressed 14 times.
Looks like he has tools to be a really good defender.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:46:37 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Standing reach
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Temont Waters on this board had a standing reach only a bit under Carson Edwards and Carson is taller with 6-6 wingspan
.Was this an error?
Tremont hasn't received much press. but 40.5 max vertical tie for 4th- 2nd in 3/4 sprints
A surprising gift is Waters. and I think his standing reach one in shorter than Carson but he has a 10 inch higher max vertical and  several inches from standing  strength he pressed 6 to Carson's 14.

Carson ranked 6th in lane agility 3rd in shuttle run but was surprised by max vert only 30.5 bench pressed 14 times.

Some players will avoid reaching as high as they can on the standing reach to make their vertical look more impressive, but based on Edwards' pretty low vertical I don't think that's the case.

Unless he has a truly horrible very and was only able to get 30.5" after gaming the standing reach, but that would be a bit concerning if that's the case.

The other possibility is just that he has much broader shoulders
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
too much time on your hands, rollie.

Have a great weekend!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Edwards is only 1.25 inches taller.  It could be stretching, but the vertical numbers suggest otherwise.  Some guys' shoulders are perched up higher than others.  Just a bone structure thing.  Their numbers both appear normal as do their physical appearances.  For an exception, think of how McHale was built.

If interested, here are all the measurements from last year's class.
https://www.nbadraft.net/2019-nba-draft-combine-measurements

(I miss draftexpress which had all measurements for all years sortable.)  :'(

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Some guys have long necks / big heads or short necks / small heads.

I think Elton Brand was one of those guys. A short neck. He had a long wingspan but his short neck gave him an even higher standing reach than one would expect for a 6-8 PF.

I forget examples of guys with larger than normal heads or long necks. Jeff Green maybe. He had always had a shorter standing reach than a guy with his size and length is supposed to have.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
.Was this an error?
Tremont hasn't received much press. but 40.5 max vertical tied for 4th- 2nd in 3/4 sprints

Some players will avoid reaching as high as they can on the standing reach to make their vertical look more impressive, but based on Edwards' pretty low vertical I don't think that's the case.

Unless he has a truly horrible very and was only able to get 30.5" after gaming the standing reach, but that would be a bit concerning if that's the case.

The other possibility is just that he has much broader shoulders

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:56:48 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Interesting you mention Tremont. He may not get much playing time this year. But, the way he plays is entertaining. Most NBA games have a generic feel to them. A recent Paul Westphal post in this group discussed how the games has changed - not for the better. They are getting boring to watch because of their similarities.

The entertainment aspect of the game changes when Tacko plays too. The focis turns to him rather than the 3 point shooter. That may be partly why fans love watching him play
 The dynamics of the game changes.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A short neck. He had a long wingspan but his short neck gave him an even higher standing reach than one would expect for a 6-8 PF.

Neck height is useless, most of what matters is below the shoulders in physical terms, plus long neck is a bigger vulnerable area.