Author Topic: The Snyder Cut  (Read 8955 times)

Re: The Snyder Cut
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The big difference between the DCEU and MCU is their cinematic history. Most movie goers don’t read comics, so their impression in based on movies. For the MCU, these non-comic book fans were a blank slate and bought everything that was sold to them. For the DCEU, these same people already had set their impressions based on Christopher Reeves’ Superman and Gene Hackman’s Lex Luther. Then we had the Batman from the 80’s and 90’s and also The Dark Knight Trilogy. So anything that was much different was going to be seen with skepticism.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   Christopher Reeve is my hero. I was blown away by his book” Still Me”. Truly an inspirational guy. R.I.P.
   Having said that th Superman of 1978/80 was great for its time but even then it wasn’t representative of the times. It was more like 1940’s “golly gee” . It was on purpose so I’m not really criticizing it. It’s just not for me. I think how BVS and Man of Steel and how the world would really react finally showed the character in a vulnerable light. Someone with doubts and loneliness. I think it would have made the final act that much more triumphant. But again, unpopular opinion which is why we will be getting a more Reeve like Superman in the future I would guess.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Avengers: Endgame has the unadjusted all-time box office record. If you have seen Endgame, then you know storytelling isn’t a big deal.

Plot holes abound, yes, but the movies provided satisfying payoff for something like a dozen different character threads. 

In a vacuum, Infinity War / Endgame aren't that great, but they were never meant to be seen in a vacuum.  They're the culmination of hours and hours of building up characters that people enjoy.

Which character from a Zach Snyder film has any personality whatsoever?  I can't think of one.

"This is SPARTA" is not personality.  It's an aesthetic -- the image of a bearded musclebro kicking another musclebro into a pit.

That's the Zach Snyder experience, from what I've seen.

I say this as a person who watched and enjoyed Watchmen.  Yet now that I'm watching the HBO Watchmen series I'm seeing just how joyless and devoid of insight or creative spark the Watchmen movie was.

Painstakingly recreating an existing work that is the product of creative inspiration is probably the best Snyder can be expected to do.

Probably my favorite superhero movies that I've seen recently are Thor: Ragnarok and the Antman movies. 

A superhero flick should be a lighthearted thrill ride that is both fun and funny.  They're called "comics," after all. 

That's my perspective, anyway.

I read "The Killing Joke" recently.  I can see why it was so influential.  A lot of images that leave an impression.  But would it make a particularly good movie?  No, I don't think so.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
For the Snyder directed/produced DCEU movies, there are easter eggs throughout that were waiting to be referenced in other movies. For instance, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Justice League and Wonder Woman all had easter eggs that connected each other. They felt planned to me. Unfortunately, I don't get that same feeling when watching an MCU movie. Those tie ins seem like they write their movie first and then decide how they can tie an idea to a previous movie.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Lots of good points here..

Just wish I could drain the swamp in the DC Cinematic Universe.

You "CAN" make a series of movies...have some dark moments...but still tell a coherent story.

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Outside of perhaps Lord of the Rings movies, has an extended / director’s cut ever made a movie significantly better?

There are probably a few examples, but in general I would assume good movies to have good director’s cuts and mediocre movies to stay mediocre.

The Abyss director's cut is definitely better.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
   Nobody is going to change someone else’s opinion on a movie. People like and dislike what they want. It’s all art and subjective. It’s the strange disbelief of people in and out of the entertainment biz saying it doesn’t exist and then saying it’s not done when Snyder said it’s done. Mamoa said he watched it. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Why do people NOT want it to come out? Is there a reason I’m missing?

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
M

Outside of perhaps Lord of the Rings movies, has an extended / director’s cut ever made a movie significantly better?

I have heard the Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is a much better movie from multiple folks.

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

There are probably a few examples, but in general I would assume good movies to have good director’s cuts and mediocre movies to stay mediocre.

The Abyss director's cut is definitely better.

That's a good one.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
M

I have heard the Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is a much better movie from multiple folks.

Yeah. No spoilers at all. It’s just the scenes that were cut offer understandably strong motivations for more than 1 character. I felt it turned a serious hack and slash movie to a much more emotional story.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
People think the man who thought batman should machinegun down goons had a "better" cut?  :o

Yes. Snyder bases his Superman and Batman off of what they were like in the beginning of comics. Then he was going to bring them into the characters we know today. Superman use to toss bad guys out windows. And Batman would shoot gangsters in their coffins to make sure they were dead. Batman in BvS was broken from years of fighting in Gotham. Robins death started to push him to lines 20 years prior he wouldn't cross.

Batman in comics is not a great person most times. But Superman brings out the better in him.

Plus if Snyder is going to take the fall for a movie and not the suits that pushed cutting a two part movie to one and then after shooting began saud he had to have it under 2 hours. He should get criticized for the movie he wanted to make.

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People think the man who thought batman should machinegun down goons had a "better" cut?  :o

Yes. Snyder bases his Superman and Batman off of what they were like in the beginning of comics. Then he was going to bring them into the characters we know today. Superman use to toss bad guys out windows. And Batman would shoot gangsters in their coffins to make sure they were dead. Batman in BvS was broken from years of fighting in Gotham. Robins death started to push him to lines 20 years prior he wouldn't cross.

Batman in comics is not a great person most times. But Superman brings out the better in him.

Plus if Snyder is going to take the fall for a movie and not the suits that pushed cutting a two part movie to one and then after shooting began saud he had to have it under 2 hours. He should get criticized for the movie he wanted to make.
LOL he's a randian, he fundamentally thinks superheroes would just take over the world and setup the movies that way. His  vision of superheroes is anti-ethical to what makes them compelling. There is a reason he was going to make Superman the villain of the next film.

Look at his awful superman movie. Don't help Clark even though you could just save me easily from his dad. So freaking dumb.

But hey its "grimdark" What a joke, Pappa Kent deserved a better son and a better director in the current movies.

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Avengers: Endgame has the unadjusted all-time box office record. If you have seen Endgame, then you know storytelling isn’t a big deal.

Plot holes abound, yes, but the movies provided satisfying payoff for something like a dozen different character threads. 

In a vacuum, Infinity War / Endgame aren't that great, but they were never meant to be seen in a vacuum.  They're the culmination of hours and hours of building up characters that people enjoy.

Which character from a Zach Snyder film has any personality whatsoever?  I can't think of one.

"This is SPARTA" is not personality.  It's an aesthetic -- the image of a bearded musclebro kicking another musclebro into a pit.

That's the Zach Snyder experience, from what I've seen.
Yup, and what makes it worse if you listen to him talk about comics characters its really bad. Specifically Superman/Batman he goes into great detail how he views them and its ugly.

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I personally loved the BvS and MOS movies...think Rotten Tomatoes scored them TOO LOW.....thought the same about the Justice League movie but thought it was too short....was VERY curious as to why a Green Lantern was written out of that movie, btw....

I believe Snyder did a fine job with them...I believe he stayed true to their comic origins...

If I had my way I'd cut Snyder totally loose and let him do what he needs to bring HIS vision of them to fruition...if the kids don't like it then sit them down and have them watch STAS where Superman was brainwashed by Darkseid...

Superman has played a villain...a TERRIBLE one - in the comics.....he was also brain-washed in the STAS leading up to his confrontation with Darkseid.

Darkseid's cunning and power makes Thanos look like a pansy, IMO.

I wish folks would stop sugar-coating Superman. He is NOT Captain America.

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2019, 10:18:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

LOL he's a randian, he fundamentally thinks superheroes would just take over the world and setup the movies that way. His  vision of superheroes is anti-ethical to what makes them compelling. There is a reason he was going to make Superman the villain of the next film.

Look at his awful superman movie. Don't help Clark even though you could just save me easily from his dad. So freaking dumb.

But hey its "grimdark" What a joke, Pappa Kent deserved a better son and a better director in the current movies.

I kinda thought the point of Superman is that he has godly power and could rule the world if he wanted to but he chooses not to. He's good despite the fact that nobody on Earth can force him to be.

That's what makes Superman remarkable as a character and as a concept.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain