Re: Joker
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/movies/joaquin-phoenix-joker-oscar.html

Who else saw this gem? 

What a disturbing movie. Great performance by Phoenix.

He's on everyone's shortlist for a nomination. His problem is there are still a lot of older Oscar voters that were really turned off by the movie. He could still very well get a nomination but it's going to be a crowded Lead Actor field this year.

Terrific performance, though.

Why turned off?

It's a movie designed to make people uncomfortable. A lot of people see merit in that and a lot of people won't. Often, the most provocative movies wind up not getting recognized, even if they deserve it. Fight Club is a good example. Toni Collette not getting a Lead Actress for Hereditary last year might turn out to be a very relevant comparison.

And then there is a contingent of voters who think that the movie isn't as smart as it thinks it is and won't like it and will use that as a reason to go withe other worthy options.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just saw it today.  avoided reading anything about it so I'd have no expectations or knowledge of what I'd see. 

well-done movie but depressing as hell.  Phoenix was terrific in the role.  felt a bit dense when my wife had to explain to me the scenes with Zazie Beets were all in his head.  thought there'd be more maniacal killing and terror which is associated with the Joker.  ironically, not a bit of humor in a movie titled Joker

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A 'Joker' sequel is reportedly in the works after the movie passed $1 billion, breaking the R-rated box-office record. "Joker" Warner Bros. A "Joker" sequel is in the works with director Todd Phillips in talks to return as director, The Hollywood Reporter reported on Wednesday.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2019, 03:55:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
A 'Joker' sequel is reportedly in the works after the movie passed $1 billion, breaking the R-rated box-office record. "Joker" Warner Bros. A "Joker" sequel is in the works with director Todd Phillips in talks to return as director, The Hollywood Reporter reported on Wednesday.

I’m surprised to see this from Phoenix. Not sure where the story could go but he’s an amazing actor ( IMO). Best in the biz for me. I was so glad to see a DC movie take itself serious again since BVS. I would have loved to see THOSE two worlds be the same. I’m just not interested in the jokey stuff.

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

I’m surprised to see this from Phoenix. Not sure where the story could go but he’s an amazing actor ( IMO). Best in the biz for me. I was so glad to see a DC movie take itself serious again since BVS. I would have loved to see THOSE two worlds be the same. I’m just not interested in the jokey stuff.

It really sucks they went MCU with Justice League. Instead of having CBM that offer different types of stories and characters from each studio, we'll most likely get the same from each.
As someone who wasn't a bif fan of the MCU, this really sucks.

I don't believe DC is going to go back to a synder style after the Joker being such a hit.

The worst possible news any DCU fan received was hearing Jar jar being hired by WB. If any of you haven't seen the superman movie he pitched to WB 20 yeras ago, go look it up.....it's AWFUL.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

It really sucks they went MCU with Justice League. Instead of having CBM that offer different types of stories and characters from each studio, we'll most likely get the same from each.

I don't believe DC is going to go back to a synder style after the Joker being such a hit.

The worst possible news any DCU fan received was hearing Jar jar being hired by WB. If any of you haven't seen the superman movie he pitched to WB 20 yeras ago, go look it up.....it's AWFUL.

Yeah. After getting away Snyder’s take and finally copying Marvel JJ was a good choice. He’s a rip off artist. Expect a lot of goofy jokes.

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Maybe I shouldn't say this because I obviously have no idea what a potential sequel would look like but...

The idea of a sequel really puts a hole in some of the bs Phillips has been spouting about his ambiguous ending.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2020, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Joker just won Golden Globe for best score. I do not watch a lot of movies, but I found the score to be very well done and fitting for that movie.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Joaquin Phoenix wins GOLDEN GLOBE BEST ACTOR in a Drama. Well earned.

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 12:40:34 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

TP for you and dannyboy for realizing JJ Abrams is a complete and utter hack. He wants to do "Green Lantern" too. It's like he's on a mission to ruin every nerdy thing I've ever cared about.

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/movies/joaquin-phoenix-joker-oscar.html

Who else saw this gem? 

What a disturbing movie. Great performance by Phoenix.

He's on everyone's shortlist for a nomination. His problem is there are still a lot of older Oscar voters that were really turned off by the movie. He could still very well get a nomination but it's going to be a crowded Lead Actor field this year.

Terrific performance, though.

Why turned off?

It's a movie designed to make people uncomfortable. A lot of people see merit in that and a lot of people won't. Often, the most provocative movies wind up not getting recognized, even if they deserve it. Fight Club is a good example. Toni Collette not getting a Lead Actress for Hereditary last year might turn out to be a very relevant comparison.

And then there is a contingent of voters who think that the movie isn't as smart as it thinks it is and won't like it and will use that as a reason to go withe other worthy options.

Yeah she was great. And that movie was terrifying. It touched so many nerves while creating a legit sense of dread.

Truth be told, most viewers don't want to be challenged at all.

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 09:42:15 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Weird, I considered this movie almost a prequel of a sort to The Dark Knight.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Can't believe this braindead nothing of a movie got 11 Oscar nominations. I could understand 1, for Phoenix, but 11?

Kindergarten-level political commentary from the guy who made the Hangover movies. But hey, dark superhero movie, AND it speaks to my fragile, misunderstood eNliGHtenD cEnTriSt soul? Let's give it all of the awards. 

This really is the dumbest timeline.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Can't believe this braindead nothing of a movie got 11 Oscar nominations. I could understand 1, for Phoenix, but 11?

Kindergarten-level political commentary from the guy who made the Hangover movies. But hey, dark superhero movie, AND it speaks to my fragile, misunderstood eNliGHtenD cEnTriSt soul? Let's give it all of the awards. 

I missed the positivity you bring
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

I bequeath upon you all the TPs.