Author Topic: Joker  (Read 16435 times)

Joker
« on: October 05, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Anyone here watched this movie yet?

I just watched it, and thought it was awesome. Oscar worthy performance for Joaquín Phoenix and the film itself worthy of consideration.

But in all, just an incredible way to handle this character, did him justice for sure.

Re: Joker
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just got home from seeing it. What an excellent movie that is an inspired origination story for the Joker. The movie is set in early 80's Gotham(basically NYC) and it nailed the dirty, polluted, down trodden look that the largest cities had in the late 70's and early 80's.

Just wrap up the Oscar and give it to Joaquin Phoenix right now. His performance of a seriously struggling mentally ill man that slowly spirals down into a homicidal maniac is incredible and very realistic. His ability to make the audience feel sympathy for the usually pure evil character blew my mind.

If Phoenix does win an Oscar it would be the 2nd best acting Oscar for the character of the Joker. RIP Heath Ledger.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I saw it last night. Wow. Phoenix is so captivating. I don’t think this movie could be anything the same with any other actor. This is the first movie in years that I’ll probably go see a 2nd time in the theater.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just got home from seeing it. What an excellent movie that is an inspired origination story for the Joker. The movie is set in early 80's Gotham(basically NYC) and it nailed the dirty, polluted, down trodden look that the largest cities had in the late 70's and early 80's.

Just wrap up the Oscar and give it to Joaquin Phoenix right now. His performance of a seriously struggling mentally ill man that slowly spirals down into a homicidal maniac is incredible and very realistic. His ability to make the audience feel sympathy for the usually pure evil character blew my mind.

If Phoenix does win an Oscar it would be the 2nd best acting Oscar for the character of the Joker. RIP Heath Ledger.

Nick, I know that you struggle with mental illness, and you might remember that I do too—what's your opinion on how mental illness is presented in this movie? I ask because I read that there's been some criticism of how mental illness and violence are portrayed in Joker.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
How much do y’all think was “real” vs in the mind of the joker?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

best portrait of him in this flix..

as low down and dirty as he is..he has heart

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:44:07 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

The Joker has been compared to this Classic in many ways...

and it is ..so nothing truly Authentic..but he did a awesome job with weight lost and acting..but still lacking..

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Nick, I know that you struggle with mental illness, and you might remember that I do too—what's your opinion on how mental illness is presented in this movie? I ask because I read that there's been some criticism of how mental illness and violence are portrayed in Joker.
Well what they portrayed was a very specific type of illness, one often associated with violence. I noted that to start the movie, he was on meds, working, and trying, in his own way to be normal. I found what he said in his journal about mental illness to be very true. It was a very key message in the film. I have experienced it myself.

I paraphrase but he wrote in his journal "though people may know you have mental illness they still expect you to act like you don't."

So so true.

Well, then the state shut down his treatment and meds and what we witnessed is the Joker, off meds, falling down into complete schizophrenia with hallucinations, voices talking to him, violent tendencies and suicidal and homicidal ideations.

Also telling is how he said he felt better and more like himself once off the meds. He felt free. But unfortunately that freedom from medication is a step down the rabbit hole to madness for him.

I think most who have mental illness that need meds will tell you how they don't like the way the meds make them feel and want to return to feeling what they feel is normal, which is themselves off drugs but suffering the effects of the illness. I also can relate.

So though I have no experience with the type of illness portrayed in the film, I thought they gave a very realistic look at what it is like to suffer from that type of illness and how the illness can obscure reality for the sufferer leading to bad to catastrophic decisions.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Spoiler Warning...

I think everything was real... except...

I still have my doubts about his visit to the Late Night Show, and I also have my doubts if he was present during a clown riot in which people were praising him as a hero, as I don't discount he may be the one who killed Thomas Wayne.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Spoiler Warning...

I still have my doubts about his visit to the Late Night Show, and I also have my doubts if he was present during a clown riot in which people were praising him as a hero, as I don't discount he may be the one who killed Thomas Wayne.

I think it was all real, that's the disturbing part of it. Notice how he only killed people who hurt him. He let the midget go for example.

The movie overall is a masterpiece.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 11:35:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I thought Jack was a pretty good Joker

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 11:53:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I thought Jack was a pretty good Joker

So far the only one that has sucked that I can come up with is Jared Leto, all others have been good portrayals.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 12:57:11 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Well what they portrayed was a very specific type of illness, one often associated with violence. I noted that to start the movie, he was on meds, working, and trying, in his own way to be normal. I found what he said in his journal about mental illness to be very true. It was a very key message in the film. I have experienced it myself.

I paraphrase but he wrote in his journal "though people may know you have mental illness they still expect you to act like you don't."

So so true.

Well, then the state shut down his treatment and meds and what we witnessed is the Joker, off meds, falling down into complete schizophrenia with hallucinations, voices talking to him, violent tendencies and suicidal and homicidal ideations.

Also telling is how he said he felt better and more like himself once off the meds. He felt free. But unfortunately that freedom from medication is a step down the rabbit hole to madness for him.

I think most who have mental illness that need meds will tell you how they don't like the way the meds make them feel and want to return to feeling what they feel is normal, which is themselves off drugs but suffering the effects of the illness. I also can relate.

So though I have no experience with the type of illness portrayed in the film, I thought they gave a very realistic look at what it is like to suffer from that type of illness and how the illness can obscure reality for the sufferer leading to bad to catastrophic decisions.

Thanks for that breakdown, Nick. Very informative. TP.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 04:47:25 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

Spoiler Warning...

I think it was all real, that's the disturbing part of it. Notice how he only killed people who hurt him. He let the midget go for example.

The movie overall is a masterpiece.

The whole story could be a fabrication by the "real" Joker we're accustomed to. The Joker in this film is shown to be an unreliable narrator - much like Travis Bickle from "Taxi Driver" and Rupert Pupkin from "King of Comedy." And the Joker from the comics and other media is also a notoriously unreliable narrator as well.

Heath Leger's Joker famously spouts out conflicting stories about his facial disfigurement in "Dark Knight."

In the comic classic "Killing Joke" (referenced by Bass Thumper above), Joker states "if I'm going to have a past I prefer for it to be multiple choice!" He is given a few different origins in the comics, but none are credible because he is inherently unreliable due to his insanity and his massive ego.

As a fan of the character I saw this story as a self-aggrandizing, heavily-airbrushed fantasy showing how the fully-developed Joker views himself as some sort of "man of the people" who ultimately overcame adversity and saw through the "joke" of life, serving a a beacon to help others in their enlightenment.

Joker might be crazy but he is also self-serving. Despite his professed love of anarchism and chaos he craves attention. This film is the ultimate ego trip for such a character. He lives in a world in which he was abused terribly by just about everyone, justifying his mental break - a world in which Thomas Wayne is a careerist boor and not a martyred saint - a world where Joker is an inspiration and not just an individual. It's the perfect playground in which his self-righteous vanity could run wild. It is inherently untrustworthy. And as such it's a nice callback to the endings of "King of Comedy" and "Taxi Driver," which suspiciously vindicate their respective protagonists.

The filmmakers have stated that this is not an official origin and is unconnected to the greater comic universe. And yet in many ways it fits precisely with the themes we'd come to expect from the classic version of the character.

I found myself thinking about it hours after I left the theater. Great flick.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:55:23 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 07:00:44 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  The media should be ashamed of themselves. They started hysteria around this movie that should never have come up.