Author Topic: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team  (Read 7294 times)

Re: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Why is it that with some on this board Kyrie can do no wrong
Why are there some people on this board that would rather strawman than have actual discussion?

Kyrie Irving is a great basketball player. Kyrie Irving has not proved to be good for the Boston Celtics. The team had a poorer record with him playing more games this season, and a much poorer record with him in the playoffs. No amount of individual awards or stats can change those facts.

I know people love to forget he played at all last year, but Kyrie played 60 games last season. In those games, we had a 68% win percentage - which we did not maintain after he went down.

In the playoffs last year, we went 11-8 (58% win percentage). This season we went 5-4 in the playoffs (56%). So we didn't exactly fall from juggernaut status now did we?

You're preaching to the wrong choir.

I've given up at this point.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why are there some people on this board that would rather strawman than have actual discussion?

Kyrie Irving is a great basketball player. Kyrie Irving has not proved to be good for the Boston Celtics. The team had a poorer record with him playing more games this season, and a much poorer record with him in the playoffs. No amount of individual awards or stats can change those facts.

I know people love to forget he played at all last year, but Kyrie played 60 games last season. In those games, we had a 68% win percentage - which we did not maintain after he went down.

In the playoffs last year, we went 11-8 (58% win percentage). This season we went 5-4 in the playoffs (56%). So we didn't exactly fall from juggernaut status now did we?

End of the day 11 wins in the playoffs is a heck better than 5 wins

Give credit where its due

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You're preaching to the wrong choir.

I've given up at this point.

I know, I know.

I'm just saying, if you're going to tout facts make sure they're actually facts.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Oy vey. That wasn't his argument though.

And I've given credit. I've congratulated Terry and Co. on winning the Moral Victory Championship.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I think we need to stop comparing the playoff runs these last two years. The Bucks and Sixers were both happy just to make the playoffs last season, and the Cavs were a worn down team with an aging superstar. It turns out that the Bucks and Sixers were not satisfied with just making the playoffs last season, so they each made major upgrades. What did Danny do to keep up or even move ahead...absolutely nothing. Unless, you consider adding a hobbled and still mending former star player in Hayward, who was trying to make his way back all season from a physical and mental standpoint. And lets not forget, this season's Celtics had an ego-maniac that thought he should be starting over Kyrie, and was looking to pad personal stats over team success (Rozier). Each season is it's own entity and should be treated as such.

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And I've given credit. I've congratulated Terry and Co. on winning the Moral Victory Championship.

Wow

This is not Kyrie Celtics.. or Rondo Celtics....this is about the Boston Celtics

Team should come1st over any individual

I couldnt be more proud of the 2017-2018 team accomplishment.  It faced a big uphill battle
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:46:13 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Congrats to Little Mountain - well-deserved.

Looking forward to more years in Green and his continued growth and leadership.

Let's plan for 1st Team All-NBA next season in Boston.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Wow

This is not Kyrie Celtics.. or Rondo Celtics....this is about the Boston Celtics

Team comes 1st over any individual

I couldnt be more proud of the 2017-2018 team accomplishment.  It had no business getting as far as they did.

I'm glad they got as far as they did. But at the end of the day, they did not win. There's no banners for almost making the Finals.

I'm all about the Boston Celtics as a team. I want to see us raise banner 18. But I'm not emotional enough to think we can do that without elite players. In today's NBA, you need talent. You need stars. And no, sometimes that talent isn't homegrown or a binky player.

We're talking about punting on the opportunity to bring back an All-NBA, All-Star talent and possibly adding another All-NBA, All-Star, All-Defensive talent via trade to run it back with a group that already showed they couldn't get it done because of.... feelings?

But I'm the one who puts individual over team. Okay.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 04:51:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Which is false.

Also if you bring up Rozier starting PG versus Kyrie, more than 3/4 of those teams were .500 or below. Some missed games was also due to load management.

So then why come into this thread? I simply don't get it. If you're going to ignore statistics and clear evidence, make a wild and outlandish claim, then what the heck are you here in this thread for?

Which of the facts is false?

Kyrie is a great player.

Team had a poorer record this season with Kyrie playing more games.

Team had a poorer playoff record with Kyrie.

Which of the above is false.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Wow

Team should come1st over any individual

I couldnt be more proud of the 2017-2018 team accomplishment.  It faced a big uphill battle

I enjoyed last season too, but I also knew I was watching fools gold during that playoff run.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well deserved.  Greatest statistical performance from a Celtic in the regular season since Larry Bird.

Isaiah made All-NBA 2nd team in 2017, but depending on how you measure it, Kyrie's regular season stats were better.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I think we need to stop comparing the playoff runs these last two years. The Bucks and Sixers were both happy just to make the playoffs last season, and the Cavs were a worn down team with an aging superstar. It turns out that the Bucks and Sixers were not satisfied with just making the playoffs last season, so they each made major upgrades. What did Danny do to keep up or even move ahead...absolutely nothing. Unless, you consider adding a hobbled and still mending former star player in Hayward, who was trying to make his way back all season from a physical and mental standpoint. And lets not forget, this season's Celtics had an ego-maniac that thought he should be starting over Kyrie, and was looking to pad personal stats over team success (Rozier). Each season is it's own entity and should be treated as such.
Funny you left out the fact that Danny had the chosen one (Kyrie) coming back. Obviously that doesnt count for anything in your book.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Which is false.

Also if you bring up Rozier starting PG versus Kyrie, more than 3/4 of those teams were .500 or below. Some missed games was also due to load management.

So then why come into this thread? I simply don't get it. If you're going to ignore statistics and clear evidence, make a wild and outlandish claim, then what the heck are you here in this thread for?

Which of the facts is false?

Kyrie is a great player.

Team had a poorer record this season with Kyrie playing more games.

Team had a poorer playoff record with Kyrie.

Which of the above is false.

We've already established Kyrie didn't do well in the Bucks series, now prove that we did better in the regular season with statistics...

I'll wait.

Funny you left out the fact that Danny had the chosen one (Kyrie) coming back. Obviously that doesnt count for anything in your book.

So you going to respond to the fact that every playoff contending team in the East got better yet? What's your argument? Anything factual?

No?

Okay, cool, well that's all folks!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's really sad that you can't have a simple thread to congratulate a player on an accomplishment without it getting hijacked yet again.

I'm not contributing to it anymore, I'm not going to argue with anyone in this thread. Just take it to the Kyrie complaint thread.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So you’re just going to give away an All Star just because he said silly things? And I meant to say desperate to find thing to dislike but I was cutoff. I do think it’s odd that people seemingly wants to just let him walk after one bad series.

See, this is an example of the problem with discussions surrounding this topic.

Not once in this thread have I said a single thing about letting Kyrie go, re-signing Kyrie, or whatever.

This is a thread about the All-NBA team.

Yet you've jumped straight to the topic that you're agitated about, apparently.  Who cares what the thread is about or what other people have actually said?

My point is that yes, Kyrie absolutely deserves All-NBA if you're looking only at his numbers.

To me, though, he wasn't in the top 6 guards in the league this season in terms of adding value to his team.  I believe that because I think that the value a player brings to a team can't be measured accurately if you're only looking at the numbers. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain