Author Topic: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team  (Read 7467 times)

Re: Kyrie Makes All-NBA Second Team
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Who all made first team

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Quote from: Monkhouse
Maybe if the team didn't suck so much, and we actually had more than one All-Star playing at an elite level, we might've actually done better? I don't know.... I'm just spitballing here.

Are you joking?

Horford is an all star
Brown and Tatum are close to and prob are if they got their reps

Smart is an all defensive player

Many so called experts had celts penciled in to make it to the finals

How much more talent do you want exactly? Whats the point in having a league. Just buy the championship

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Based purely on the raw numbers, he deserved it.

If one were to factor in something like what Bill Simmons talks about in his BBOB, i.e. "the secret," Kyrie's name doesn't belong anywhere near the All-NBA discussion.

Please expand on "the secret".

Yeah... I don't listen to Bill Simmons unless I feel like punishing myself for something, so this is like a different language to me.

Recency bias is pretty powerful and compelling, don't ya think?

Irving has one of his best statistical season, has one awful playoff series, and displays a lack of leadership and somehow people are content with letting an Allstar PG walk for free..

It's actually sad that people can't see passed their bias against him to at least acknowledge (even begrudgingly) that he was an elite offensive talent this season. His efficiency stats were among the best in the league this year.

He could very well be a 50/40/90 guy next season (he came darn close this season) and people will stay say he's undeserving.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:10:30 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 04:06:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Why is it that with some on this board Kyrie can do no wrong

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Maybe if the team didn't suck so much, and we actually had more than one All-Star playing at an elite level, we might've actually done better? I don't know.... I'm just spitballing here.

Are you joking?

Horford is an all star

How much more talent do you want exactly? Whats the point in having a league. Just buy the championship

How about guys who are actually All-Stars, not guys we're just wishing upon a star to become All-Stars or former All-Stars coming off of injuries. But actual, ready to produce All-Stars or near All-Stars.

You know what the 3 teams above us in the East had this season? Multiple All-Stars this year.

Giannis/Middleton
Kawhi/Lowry
Embiid/Simmons

There was more than one guy consistently in the mix.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Can you imagine being so desperate to dislike a player that you have quote an unreliable guy like Simmons (though I loved his book).

"Desperate to dislike" is an odd phrasing.  I'd love to like Kyrie.  What he did this year prevents me from doing so.

Simmons is not perfect, but his book was very good.  What he said about "the secret" was spot on.

"The secret of basketball is that it’s not about basketball."

"Fans overlook The Secret completely. Nobody writes about The Secret because of a general lack of sophistication about basketball; even the latest ‘revolution’ of basketball statistics centers more around evaluating players against one another over capturing their effect on a team. Numbers help, but only to a certain degree. You still have to watch the games. The fans don’t get it. Actually, it goes deeper than that—I’m not sure who gets it. We measure players by numbers, only the playoffs roll around and teams that play together, kill themselves defensively, sacrifice personal success and ignore statistics invariably win the title. We have trouble processing the ‘teamwork over talent’ thing. But how do you keep stats for ‘best chemistry’ and ‘most unselfish’ or even ‘most tangible and consistent effect on a group of teammates’? It’s impossible. That’s why we struggle to comprehend professional basketball."
I feel so much stupider for having read that Simmons blurb

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Why are there some people on this board that would rather strawman than have actual discussion?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Are you joking?

Horford is an all star

Horford didn't play at an All-Star level this year... Even if his numbers were similar to his last All-Star appearance, it just means there were far more talented players than Al. That being said, Horford/Brown were the only ones that stepped up.

Smart was out for most of the playoffs..

Brown did fantastic, and Tatum sucked in the playoffs...

You claim we had All-Star players, but how many of them actually performed to that level this year?

Ugh, forget it, last post I'm going to respond to your drivel.

Can you imagine being so desperate to dislike a player that you have quote an unreliable guy like Simmons (though I loved his book).

"Desperate to dislike" is an odd phrasing.  I'd love to like Kyrie.  What he did this year prevents me from doing so.

Simmons is not perfect, but his book was very good.  What he said about "the secret" was spot on.

"Fans overlook The Secret completely. Nobody writes about The Secret because of a general lack of sophistication about basketball; even the latest ‘revolution’ of basketball statistics centers more around evaluating players against one another over capturing their effect on a team. Numbers help, but only to a certain degree. You still have to watch the games. The fans don’t get it. Actually, it goes deeper than that—I’m not sure who gets it. We measure players by numbers, only the playoffs roll around and teams that play together, kill themselves defensively, sacrifice personal success and ignore statistics invariably win the title. We have trouble processing the ‘teamwork over talent’ thing. But how do you keep stats for ‘best chemistry’ and ‘most unselfish’ or even ‘most tangible and consistent effect on a group of teammates’? It’s impossible. That’s why we struggle to comprehend professional basketball."
I feel so much stupider for having read that Simmons blurb

I don't disagree, every championship team needs some type of Smart/Draymond/Iggy/Shane Battier kind of player, but... Let's be real..

The talent disparity was clear the moment we lost the 2nd and 3rd game of the Bucks series.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Why are there some people on this board that would rather strawman than have actual discussion?

Kyrie Irving is a great basketball player. Kyrie Irving has not proved to be good for the Boston Celtics. The team had a poorer record with him playing more games this season, and a much poorer record with him in the playoffs. No amount of individual awards or stats can change those facts.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

So you’re just going to give away an All Star just because he said silly things? And I meant to say desperate to find thing to dislike but I was cutoff. I do think it’s odd that people seemingly wants to just let him walk after one bad series.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Kyrie Irving is a great basketball player. Kyrie Irving has not proved to be good for the Boston Celtics. The team had a poorer record with him playing more games this season, and a much poorer record with him in the playoffs. No amount of individual awards or stats can change those facts.

Which is false.

Also if you bring up Rozier starting PG versus Kyrie, more than 3/4 of those teams were .500 or below. Some missed games was also due to load management.

So then why come into this thread? I simply don't get it. If you're going to ignore statistics and clear evidence, make a wild and outlandish claim, then what the heck are you here in this thread for?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Kyrie wasn’t the only factor as to why the team did not play well. Stats show the Cs were significantly better team with Kyrie plying than when he doesn’t.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly...on point

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I know people love to forget he played at all last year, but Kyrie played 60 games last season. In those games, we had a 68% win percentage - which we did not maintain after he went down.

In the playoffs last year, we went 11-8 (58% win percentage). This season we went 5-4 in the playoffs (56%). So we didn't exactly fall from juggernaut status now did we?

2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kyrie Irving was absolutely deserving of being on an All-NBA team. I just hope he’s representing the Celtics on those All-NBA teams over the next few years too.