Author Topic: ESPN selects C's most likely to win east, 2nd most likely to win it all  (Read 3390 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24349948/nba-champs-predictions-espn-summer-forecast

Total points

East
1. Celtics - 153
2. Toronto - 83
3. Philadelphia - 53

West
1. Golden State - 165
2. Houston - 89
3. Oklahoma City - 16

Champ
1. Golden State - 165
2. Boston - 70
3. Houston - 35

Apparently Golden State got every #1 vote in the Finals to win it all, so 165 points is a sweep of all first place votes. So, Boston at 153 to win the East is very impressive.

Re: ESPN selects C's most likely to win east, 2nd most likely to win it all
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, I'm surprised that BOS is so heavily favored. I'm trying to temper my expectations b/c I do believe this Celtics team can be amazing. I imagine that the rest of the country is soon going to jump on the bandwagon like they did with Houston last year.

I think it is safe to say that the Celtics are the 2nd best team in the NBA after Houston's summer.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm predicting close to the same but I think the C's are winning it all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
With Kyrie and Hayward returning, and with the additional power boosts of Tatum and Brown followed by a deep bench, I can see why the C's are 2nd most favorite.

If they can stop the Big 5 of the Warriors, I can see them going all the way. Just hope the Lakers do not win a title before we do.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:36:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Boston should have the 2nd best title odds, but I do think the Rockets would also be favored over Boston in the Finals.  I just think the odds of the Rockets beating the Warriors are so small that it probably wouldn't be an issue.  That said, I do think Toronto will be a very tough out for the Celtics and the rest of the upper end of the East (Bucks, Pacers, Sixers, and Wizards) is rising so it won't be a cakewalk to even make the Finals. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Celtics will win it all. 

I am sick of Golden State already.

I don't see the Lakers in the top rankings. Sick of them, too.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Celtics will win it all. 

I am sick of Golden State already.

I don't see the Lakers in the top rankings. Sick of them, too.
Ditto...

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Toronto is the wild card.  Kawhi Leonard is an upgrade over DeMar DeRozan.  It is too be seen if Leonard is going to get past all his issues but if he does, Toronto will be a tough out for the Celtics.  I am not worried about the Sixers but I am worried about the Bucks to some degree.  The Celtics should be the preseason favorite to will the East.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 02:33:36 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
Toronto is the wild card.  Kawhi Leonard is an upgrade over DeMar DeRozan.  It is too be seen if Leonard is going to get past all his issues but if he does, Toronto will be a tough out for the Celtics.  I am not worried about the Sixers but I am worried about the Bucks to some degree.  The Celtics should be the preseason favorite to will the East.

DeMar DeRozan still was giving you 23 ppg in the regular season and playoffs. The Raptors still need to replace that. Leonard will take up some of that but not all. He is a better all around player, but DeRozan was still one of the best scorers in the league and he was surprisingly efficient too. Then you add in Leonard already has one foot out the door to the Lakers and that will be a story all year in Toronto.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 04:00:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

DeMar DeRozan still was giving you 23 ppg in the regular season and playoffs. The Raptors still need to replace that. Leonard will take up some of that but not all. He is a better all around player, but DeRozan was still one of the best scorers in the league and he was surprisingly efficient too. Then you add in Leonard already has one foot out the door to the Lakers and that will be a story all year in Toronto.
If, and it's a big if, Kawhi returns to '16-'17 form, when he was arguably the second best player in the world, then I think the Raps will be a huge pain. However, the odds of that happening are pretty well unknown.

PG was supposed to have one foot out the door to the Lakers too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Not sure how you can say that Leonard won't replace those 23 ppg when in Leonard's last healthy year he averaged 25 ppg in the regular season and 28 ppg in the playoffs.  He will be the focal point of the Raptors and should be able to replace all of DeRozan's scoring and greatly improve on DeRozan's defense.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Not sure how you can say that Leonard won't replace those 23 ppg when in Leonard's last healthy year he averaged 25 ppg in the regular season and 28 ppg in the playoffs.  He will be the focal point of the Raptors and should be able to replace all of DeRozan's scoring and greatly improve on DeRozan's defense.
Yep and in addition is a much better outside shooter which should help with their overall spacing.  Leonard is a big upgrade on DeRozan. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Setting aside health issues, Leonard has played for one team and one coach, generally regarded as the best in the NBA. He was brought along gradually and his offensive game took a number of years to develop. He's always played with elite 3 point shooting and great ball movement. He is also unusual in that while he is a superstar, he's also an introvert, and does not naturally assert alpha dog status. He may have some trouble remapping his offensive game to a new team.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just stay healthy and the Celtics will win the East.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Setting aside health issues, Leonard has played for one team and one coach, generally regarded as the best in the NBA. He was brought along gradually and his offensive game took a number of years to develop. He's always played with elite 3 point shooting and great ball movement. He is also unusual in that while he is a superstar, he's also an introvert, and does not naturally assert alpha dog status. He may have some trouble remapping his offensive game to a new team.

While there’s no real evidence to support this, I’ve been thinking similar thoughts. If Brad Stevens is Popovich 2.0 and good players here almost always look significantly worse after they leave (Olynik withstanding) then maybe a #15 pick (I think) who thrived under Pop could play worse elsewhere?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07