Author Topic: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change  (Read 9464 times)

Re: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Lots of biased Celtics fans here who can’t imagine playing the Lakers in the first round. You know what would be worse? Being a Rockets fan and having to play the warriors in the Western Conference Finals, lose in 7, and watch the warriors steamroll some sad eastern conference champion.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That's the most logical and best way to do it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lots of biased Celtics fans here who can’t imagine playing the Lakers in the first round. You know what would be worse? Being a Rockets fan and having to play the warriors in the Western Conference Finals, lose in 7, and watch the warriors steamroll some sad eastern conference champion.

Why is losing in the WCF worse than losing in the Finals? Do fans really like being runners up that much?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Why is losing in the WCF worse than losing in the Finals? Do fans really like being runners up that much?

I think so. Being in the NBA Finals means something. I can name all the runner-ups since I started following basketball. I don't think I can do the same for all conference finalists.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think so. Being in the NBA Finals means something. I can name all the runner-ups since I started following basketball. I don't think I can do the same for all conference finalists.

As a fan, I’d rather not lose in the Finals. 2010 is way more bitter to me than 2009, 2011, or 2012. I know a lot of Pats fans who are crushed by the Super Bowl losses moreso than the AFC Finals defeats.

But ultimately, losing is losing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this is more a reaction of last year's playoffs where there were like 2 competitive series during the whole playoffs. I think it killed television ratings and revenue. This would allow for more competitive series during each round and, hopefully, longer series.

Just my opinion on why Silver's proposal would even be made. Follow the money, guys. This has nothing to do with fairness.

I hate the idea. Just keep it like it is.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think this is more a reaction of last year's playoffs where there were like 2 competitive series during the whole playoffs. I think it killed television ratings and revenue. This would allow for more competitive series during each round and, hopefully, longer series.

Just my opinion on why Silver's proposal would even be made. Follow the money, guys. This has nothing to do with fairness.

Not sure I follow that logic (I know you’re not necessarily saying it’s your logic, but the league’s). If the series weren’t “competitive” (I’m assuming that means series that went to 6-7 games) the seeding doesn’t really impact that. Eventually the better, i.e. winning, teams will ultimately face each other in later rounds.

If teams in rounds 2 and 3 are still sweeping opponents it just means there are a lot of different levels of quality in the league. Perhaps four different tiers amongst the playoff teams.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Might legit give up on the NBA if they do this. Couldn't imagine doing something more stupid to the fans of the league. I'm not some cranky purist but this is an insane idea..

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not sure I follow that logic (I know you’re not necessarily saying it’s your logic, but the league’s). If the series weren’t “competitive” (I’m assuming that means series that went to 6-7 games) the seeding doesn’t really impact that. Eventually the better, i.e. winning, teams will ultimately face each other in later rounds.

If teams in rounds 2 and 3 are still sweeping opponents it just means there are a lot of different levels of quality in the league. Perhaps four different tiers amongst the playoff teams.
In the 1st round the 8-9 series, the 7-10 series and the 6-11 series would be very competitive. In the next round the competition ramps up with all series being competitive. Then of course the Final 4 would hopefully for the NBA jave the best 4 teams in the league. But I think this format might give the league mpre 6-7 game series and then, more advertising revenue and ratings.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

In the 1st round the 8-9 series, the 7-10 series and the 6-11 series would be very competitive. In the next round the competition ramps up with all series being competitive. Then of course the Final 4 would hopefully for the NBA jave the best 4 teams in the league. But I think this format might give the league mpre 6-7 game series and then, more advertising revenue and ratings.
except the first round series by and large were competitive last year.  Only GS and Cleveland steamrolled teams but most series were quite good.  I mean every other eastern 1st round went 6, the other western series went 5, 6, and 7.  The other conference semis went 6 and 7.  If anything changing the seeding will make that all wotse not better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I don't know that this is a problem that needs fixing, but if we're ignoring conferences in seeding then why are we taking them into account when picking the pool? Feels half-assed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:40:43 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Its not a problem that needs fixing, but I think Silver may see this as a step in globalizing the NBA. First break down the meaning of the current divisions and conferences in the North America, let people get used to it, and then as the NBA begins to include Europe and Asia, introduce 'new' conferences: North America, Europe, and Asia. It makes things much simpler without the current relevance of divisions and conferences in that exist now in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
100% like this idea.

I hate having divisions/conferences. Have one group for all teams, just like most leagues around the world do it. Top 16 records get in.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Its not a problem that needs fixing, but I think Silver may see this as a step in globalizing the NBA. First break down the meaning of the current divisions and conferences in the North America, let people get used to it, and then as the NBA begins to include Europe and Asia, introduce 'new' conferences: North America, Europe, and Asia. It makes things much simpler without the current relevance of divisions and conferences in that exist now in the NBA.
Ewwwww
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
They'd never reduce playoff games, but I'd give best record in each conference a bye, and have 1 more lotto team in each conference. Reward top records while making it harder to make playoffs.