Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187092 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1470 on: November 21, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I’m sure the information is buried in here somewhere but...

Would someone mind providing a financial look of where we are at and what we KNOW to have at our disposal as of this moment?
Are we below the salary cap? How far and what does that get us?
What 3-letter (BAE, MLE, TPE) contract devices do we have and what’s their worth?

TP for the most thorough response!!

Was gonna ask the same thing. Do we theoretically have cap now? Bogdanovic is still out there, can we make a competitive offer?

Bogdanovic isn't a FA.  Would need to trade.  Hope we could though.

He's a restricted FA.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1471 on: November 21, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Millsap looked like a corpse in the bubble.   Can't wait till Smart tries to break a chair over his head for missing some shots.

oh man, that is beautiful
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #1472 on: November 21, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

« Reply #1473 on: November 21, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I’m sure the information is buried in here somewhere but...

Would someone mind providing a financial look of where we are at and what we KNOW to have at our disposal as of this moment?
Are we below the salary cap? How far and what does that get us?
What 3-letter (BAE, MLE, TPE) contract devices do we have and what’s their worth?

TP for the most thorough response!!

1. We are not under the salary cap but rather under the salary tax threshold now that Hayward has walked.

2. This will provide the Celtics with the larger of the two possible Middle Level Exceptions (MLE) at about $9 million.

3. The Celtics have access to the Bi-Annual Exception (BAE) and could potentially sign Millsap with it.

4. The Celtics have acquired/created two Traded Player Exceptions (TPE) in recent days. One of about $2.5 million when Poirier was traded; another TPE of $5 million was acquired/created when Kanter was traded.

As always, I make mistakes...so someone correct me if I got anything wrong. I figured I could at least take a stab at answering you, though!

Thank you Jiri! You’re always a thoughtful intelligent poster, I appreciate it. You prolly don’t remember it but you have answered my ignorant questions accurately at other times. TP!

Am I correct that none of those things can be combined?

« Reply #1474 on: November 21, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
F hayward.
I hope nothing more than his career goes straight down the toilet from here.

I hope that he misses the playoffs for the next 4 years.

And f the hornets. We did them a favor with rozier and they camnot dona sign and trade back with us for the tpe???

::)

that was for the "f's... It's basketball.

« Reply #1475 on: November 21, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Give me Evan Turner, Ersan Ilyasova and Joakim Noah (if we only can get free agents).
Players with a high BBIQ, professionalism, experience and leadership.

Ugh. People please stop. Evan Turner wasn't very good when he was here, and he's much worse now.
I would disagree with that. Brad helped get him that massive contract in Portland because he maximized what Turner does well.  Game's a little different now but he'll move the ball and be able to get them some action going to the basket.

I'd take him on a short term deal - and he won't cost much.

« Reply #1476 on: November 21, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Release ojeleje Edwards and green
Wannamaker kanter poirier hayward are out..
Sign the 2 picks
Sign batum whiteside milsap giles and a euro guy like misic

« Reply #1477 on: November 21, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
No need to worry about Millsap anymore
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1330266298127937539?s=20

LOL rip - guess our roster is LOCKED - lets go then onto the next season please or just flip everyone you wont use for picks and try and try and try again until a pick turns into a superstar
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #1478 on: November 21, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Give me Evan Turner, Ersan Ilyasova and Joakim Noah (if we only can get free agents).

Ugh. People please stop. Evan Turner wasn't very good when he was here, and he's much worse now.
I would disagree with that. Brad helped get him that massive contract in Portland because he maximized what Turner does well.  Game's a little different now but he'll move the ball and be able to get them some action going to the basket.

Would Evan Turner be too similar to Romeo Langford?

Two wings with dodgy jump-shots who want to get on the ball and drive to the basket.

Would Evan Turner detract from Romeo's playing time and thus development?

Would it be better to just leave Romeo to take that role and sign someone (a wing) who has a skill-set more different to Romeo so there is no possible overlap?

« Reply #1479 on: November 21, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Another technicality question.  Bogdanovic is an RFA.    I believe that the Bucks offer was in the 16-18M range if I'm not mistaken.   I think C's would have to go there or higher -- without a substantial TPE it doesn't seem that the C's could get him salary-wise without including Smart. 

Since I've learned here today that TPE cannot be combined with a trade, the C's need would need a TPE the size of which they'll only get if they can trade with Charlotte. Correct?   

Can future picks be sent along with a TPE?

« Reply #1480 on: November 21, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Would Evan Turner be too similar to Romeo Langford?

Two wings with dodgy jump-shots who want to get on the ball and drive to the basket.

Would Evan Turner detract from Romeo's playing time and thus development?

Would it be better to just leave Romeo to take that role and sign someone (a wing) who has a skill-set more different to Romeo so there is no possible overlap?
Romeo won't be playing for a while so a one year deal with a team option probably works. The idea would be for Turner to lose his job eventually - but Romeo needs to prove he can stay healthy - and that he can make a jump shot consistently.

« Reply #1481 on: November 21, 2020, 05:03:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
You can blame Ainge if you want but it’s obvious Hayward took the biggest check he could find. What a gross overpay and shows winning not exactly the biggest thing on Hayward’s mind.

I wish people would give it a break with the holier than thou stuff.  No one knew a young Tatum would turn into a superstar so quickly, if at all.  If I were as good as Hayward and still pretty young, and had two injury filled years, I'd want to go somewhere where I could play big minutes and get back to my old self...plus the money is great.  Get off high horses people. 

« Reply #1482 on: November 21, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think some of us are now realizing that our assumption that Hayward was somehow different that other players — small ego, willing to sacrifice for the team, happy to take a supporting role, not just about the money — was false. In the end, Hayward sounds more like most other elite athletes: looking to score big on his next contract, preferring to be one of the top guys wherever he plays, and probably a little in denial about the current stage of his career. That’s more a criticism of us than it is of the player.

I think it's great that Hayward did not settle. That he wasn't happy being the 4th option and wanted a bigger role.

Careers are short and you only have so long at the top. I like guys who want to max their individual talent while they have it.

Disappointed Hayward had to go to a crappy team like Charlotte to be one of the main guys again who the offense revolves around. That he did not get a chance to be a #2 or #3 on a playoff team but that's how free agency goes some times with these soft caps (limiting FAs options). Plus, he got a mega-payday (so it worked out in another way). I'm pleased for him.

Anyway, what I am saying is -- I like that ego. That is a good ego. That is the type of ego I want to see top athletes have.

I don't like seeing guys settle for less. Show your talent. Put it on display. If you can't show it where you are, leave and go somewhere where you can show it. I love that.

« Reply #1483 on: November 21, 2020, 05:06:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see all the regular(and even some not so regular) doom and bloomers have come out of their posting hiatuses to slam Ainge once again.

There were always going to be 4 options when it came to Hayward this off-season:

1. He would opt in for $34.2 million at which point Ainge could have kept him for the year or traded him, which probably would have been near impossible given the money and he could walk on a team the next season. Hayward was in control of this option and decided against it.

2. Hayward opts out and agrees to a long term extension in Boston. This would need mutual desire on both parts. Hayward doesn't appear he wanted this. His wife didn't want this and at what Gordon signed for, there is no way Ainge wanted this.

3. Hayward opts out. Danny finds a suitor for a sign and trade that Hayward would work a contract out with while simultaneously getting what both teams wanted to deal in the sign and trade.

4. Hayward signs with a team with cap space.

After Hayward opted out there were just 3 options and it appears another option was removed by Hayward for personal reasons. So it came down to options 3 and 4.

Sure there was a ton of talk about Atlanta and New York being interested and Indiana willing to pay $100 over 4 years, though who knows how much would have been guaranteed. But Hayward removed that option by taking option 4, going for the truly big money to a team with cap space.

Why are Boston fans so miffed. It takes two teams to agree to a trade and it takes two teams and a player to agree to a sign and trade. For all we know Ainge and Pritchard was going to agree to terms on a sign and trade but Hayward decided for Charlotte.

It's just wrong to assume if Ainge and Pritchard had come to terms 20 hours ago that Hayward would have agreed to the sign and trade. If Hayward's agent was smart, and given the contract Hayward got, I think that's is probably true, he wasn't going to allow Gordon to accept Indy's offer without first exhausting all other opportunities that were being offered.

I just don't get the extremely strong vitriol towards Ainge here. Hayward decided where he wanted to go, not Ainge.

But, if you only come here just to moan and complain about the team, the coach and the GM, today must be like Christmas for you, regardless if any of it is in the least bit warranted.

« Reply #1484 on: November 21, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I see all the regular(and even some not so regular) doom and bloomers have come out of their posting hiatuses to slam Ainge once again.

There were always going to be 4 options when it came to Hayward this off-season:

1. He would opt in for $34.2 million at which point Ainge could have kept him for the year or traded him, which probably would have been near impossible given the money and he could walk on a team the next season. Hayward was in control of this option and decided against it.

2. Hayward opts out and agrees to a long term extension in Boston. This would need mutual desire on both parts. Hayward doesn't appear he wanted this. His wife didn't want this and at what Gordon signed for, there is no way Ainge wanted this.

3. Hayward opts out. Danny finds a suitor for a sign and trade that Hayward would work a contract out with while simultaneously getting what both teams wanted to deal in the sign and trade.

4. Hayward signs with a team with cap space.

After Hayward opted out there were just 3 options and it appears another option was removed by Hayward for personal reasons. So it came down to options 3 and 4.

Sure there was a ton of talk about Atlanta and New York being interested and Indiana willing to pay $100 over 4 years, though who knows how much would have been guaranteed. But Hayward removed that option by taking option 4, going for the truly big money to a team with cap space.

Why are Boston fans so miffed. It takes two teams to agree to a trade and it takes two teams and a player to agree to a sign and trade. For all we know Ainge and Pritchard was going to agree to terms on a sign and trade but Hayward decided for Charlotte.

It's just wrong to assume if Ainge and Pritchard had come to terms 20 hours ago that Hayward would have agreed to the sign and trade. If Hayward's agent was smart, and given the contract Hayward got, I think that's is probably true, he wasn't going to allow Gordon to accept Indy's offer without first exhausting all other opportunities that were being offered.

I just don't get the extremely strong vitriol towards Ainge here. Hayward decided where he wanted to go, not Ainge.

But, if you only come here just to moan and complain about the team, the coach and the GM, today must be like Christmas for you, regardless if any of it is in the least bit warranted.

You know what? Just let them whine even if Jayson Tatum becomes a superstar people here will find a way to whine. It's pointless to quell the rage right now.