Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187672 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1260 on: November 21, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I just find it hard to believe Hayward, who is loaded, would prefer an addition 5 mil a year vs what Indiana wanted to offer. Just going by reports of 4 years 100 mil

I truly believe being home and with his family is worth the 5 mil less a year. Let’s not forget the stupid endorsement deal he got with that Chinese shoe company, guy is loaded.

I believe, and this is just my opinion, he took it because Ainge wouldn’t accept Indys deal.

Reliable sources said Gordon wanted Indy, I think ainges greed cost us big.

5 million a year for 4 years is not chump change. Plus being the clear #1 option on your team is attractive.

« Reply #1261 on: November 21, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just find it hard to believe Hayward, who is loaded, would prefer an addition 5 mil a year vs what Indiana wanted to offer. Just going by reports of 4 years 100 mil

I truly believe being home and with his family is worth the 5 mil less a year. Let’s not forget the stupid endorsement deal he got with that Chinese shoe company, guy is loaded.

I believe, and this is just my opinion, he took it because Ainge wouldn’t accept Indys deal.

Do you think Antoine or any number of other broke players wish they’d gotten an extra $20 million?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1262 on: November 21, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Boy if Danny chose not to do Hayward for Turner + McDermott, and ultimately Hayward leaves for nothing that'll look really bad. Some Indiana reporters are even speculating that's what happened.

Unless Indiana would have paid Hayward $120 million, that deal would have fallen apart anyway. It's ultimately Hayward's decision
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1263 on: November 21, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Well this is a disaster. Look In not sure I'd go as far as saying Ainge should be fired, he's a good GM, but in the last couple of years he's

Traded a top 10 pick for Irving
Lost irving for nothing
Lost Horford for nothing
Lost Hayward (return pending)
Let guys like Rozier, Morris go for nothing
Failed to move up in the draft.
Even the saving grace of last year has questions about his Knee.

I mean the Celtics future is now 100% Brown/Tatum, and there are worse places to be. But there will be no cap space for the rest of Kemba's contract. There are no more surplus draft picks left to make. The fate of the team basically relies on the young guys on roster improving enough to A) make the team a contender or B) be flipped for another star. That's it. Theres now a ton riding on Langford, Nesmith, and the Williams'.

I feel like a lot of this really unfair.

- the top 10 pick was a good gamble for a chance at Irving
- Irving was a mutual departure and there was likely nothing we were going to do to stop him from signing at home anyways
- Horford and Hayward are two awful contracts; you really wanting Danny to pay them??

Some of the draft stuff is fair, but again it also takes two parties to tango.

The more reasonable view is that this is actually a product of Danny's success in gathering four max-level players at the same time via both free agency and the draft. Just untenable to keep all of them on big contracts at one time.

« Reply #1264 on: November 21, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #1265 on: November 21, 2020, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Do you think Antoine or any number of other broke players wish they’d gotten an extra $20 million?

I think comparing Antoine to Hayward is a reach.

Hayward is a church going family man, toine was an addict

« Reply #1266 on: November 21, 2020, 02:17:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
https://twitter.com/timbontemps/status/1330220193663098881?s=21

I'm not sure there's anything from Charlotte's roster I would want in return. We may be better off not participating in a sign and trade.

« Reply #1267 on: November 21, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Tons of guys go broke.  I’d take the $20 million.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1268 on: November 21, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well this is a disaster. Look In not sure I'd go as far as saying Ainge should be fired, he's a good GM, but in the last couple of years he's

Traded a top 10 pick for Irving
Lost irving for nothing
Lost Horford for nothing
Lost Hayward (return pending)
Let guys like Rozier, Morris go for nothing
Failed to move up in the draft.
Even the saving grace of last year has questions about his Knee.

I mean the Celtics future is now 100% Brown/Tatum, and there are worse places to be. But there will be no cap space for the rest of Kemba's contract. There are no more surplus draft picks left to make. The fate of the team basically relies on the young guys on roster improving enough to A) make the team a contender or B) be flipped for another star. That's it. Theres now a ton riding on Langford, Nesmith, and the Williams'.

I feel like a lot of this really unfair.

- the top 10 pick was a good gamble for a chance at Irving
- Irving was a mutual departure and there was likely nothing we were going to do to stop him from signing at home anyways
- Horford and Hayward are two awful contracts; you really wanting Danny to pay them??

Some of the draft stuff is fair, but again it also takes two parties to tango.

The more reasonable view is that this is actually a product of Danny's success in gathering four max-level players at the same time via both free agency and the draft. Just untenable to keep all of them on big contracts at one time.

Not to mention that, had Hayward not broken his leg, we probably make the finals in 2018. We were a quarter away even with Hayward and Irving hurt
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1269 on: November 21, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I guess he had less faith in himself than many of us had in him....

You don't go to Charlotte unless you want to retire.

« Reply #1270 on: November 21, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
https://twitter.com/timbontemps/status/1330220193663098881?s=21

I'm not sure there's anything from Charlotte's roster I would want in return. We may be better off not participating in a sign and trade.

We’d get a giant trade exception, which helps.  Monk or Bridges are ok.

« Reply #1271 on: November 21, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1272 on: November 21, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Tons of guys go broke.  I’d take the $20 million.

I would also, but I’m also not pumping out kids yearly and putting my decisions in gods hands by praying with his wife like Hayward does. The guy wanted Indy to be with his family, I think he would sacrifice 5 mil a year for that.

20 mil is nothing to Hayward. How much was his Anta deal worth?

« Reply #1273 on: November 21, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
I bet this offer doesnt even get made if Ainge would have have taken the deal immediately.   Him "negotiating"  left time for Charlotte to up their offer to a place where it was take it or leave it time for Gordon.

« Reply #1274 on: November 21, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Just FYI - on Twitter and the NBA sphere this deal is getting ridiculed as awful given Hayward's injury history. Classic MJ.

Clearly there was not much that Danny could do here. And if anything, this is a product of Danny being TOO successful by successfully signing or drafting/developing at least 4 max-level players. Just can't keep them all at the same time. Fact of the salary cap.

nice spin.  ainge is too good at his job.   hilarious.

You know, you "the world is falling posters" have yet to provide any kind of reasonable explanation about how this situation could've  been played out any different. So please, tell me, how exactly would you have got an injury prone 30 year old to turn down $120 Million guaranteed from Charlotte? You can't, because there's no reasonable explanation to do anything different outside of paying him that money ourselves, which clearly we don't look to do.

This absolutely is a product of Danny's success and the reality of the salary cap and a limited amount of money to work with. He's attracted or drafted 6 max-level players to Boston in the last 4 years in Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Hayward, Horford, and Kyrie.