Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187629 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1530 on: November 21, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I know somebody probably mentioned it already in this 100-page thread, but giving Hayward an extra two days to decide on his option really screwed us over. Two days is a lifetime in communications and planning, especially in the accelerated draft and free agency period this year. This is a courtesy they had no freaking reason to give Hayward considering he had months to think about it. Why would they have done it, other than in the expectation that keeping Hayward happy would either A) make the relationship smoother if he did indeed opt in and stayed in Boston or B) keep the good feelings going for participation in a sign and trade so we at least didn't lose him for nothing.

I'm not a person who thinks Hayward "owed" us anything for being injured and having overall disappointing play these three years, but I do think it was ridiculous to ask for the extension and even more ridiculous for the Celtics to grant it. Maybe it wouldn't have changed anything and Charlotte still swoops in with big offer the Celts didn't seem to anticipate, but I just can't think of a similar scenario where a team that already knew they probably weren't going to re-sign a guy conceded to his dithering and allowed him to delay during the two busiest days of the NBA calendar.

Point taken, but hindsight is 20/20. 

« Reply #1531 on: November 21, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

« Reply #1532 on: November 21, 2020, 08:29:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1330320541740306434?s=21

Cs never had interest in Turner.

My guess is, they were probably hoping they could pull this deal off while simultaneously adding Tristan Thompson at the full MLE. No doubt Warren + Holiday in addition to Thompson  and what we had would be amazing and fill multiple needs all over the roster.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1533 on: November 21, 2020, 08:30:44 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I know somebody probably mentioned it already in this 100-page thread, but giving Hayward an extra two days to decide on his option really screwed us over. Two days is a lifetime in communications and planning, especially in the accelerated draft and free agency period this year. This is a courtesy they had no freaking reason to give Hayward considering he had months to think about it. Why would they have done it, other than in the expectation that keeping Hayward happy would either A) make the relationship smoother if he did indeed opt in and stayed in Boston or B) keep the good feelings going for participation in a sign and trade so we at least didn't lose him for nothing.

I'm not a person who thinks Hayward "owed" us anything for being injured and having overall disappointing play these three years, but I do think it was ridiculous to ask for the extension and even more ridiculous for the Celtics to grant it. Maybe it wouldn't have changed anything and Charlotte still swoops in with big offer the Celts didn't seem to anticipate, but I just can't think of a similar scenario where a team that already knew they probably weren't going to re-sign a guy conceded to his dithering and allowed him to delay during the two busiest days of the NBA calendar.

How? I assume that, if they hadn't given him the extension, he would have just opted out. That 2 extra days gave us more time to find a trade where he would opt in, but it didn't hurt us in any other way.

Teams couldn't talk to him during that time. The deadline for players opting out (Hayward included) was more than 24 hours before free agency began. All it did was push his deadline from pre-draft to post-draft.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1534 on: November 21, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Rumors swirling about Rozier being in sign and trade.  How about Gordon to CHA, Rozier to SAC and Bogdan to Celtics. 

« Reply #1535 on: November 21, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

My guess is, they were probably hoping they could pull this deal off while simultaneously adding Tristan Thompson at the full MLE. No doubt Warren + Holiday in addition to Thompson  and what we had would be amazing and fill multiple needs all over the roster.

Yes and now that I see what Danny wanted, it doesn't sound like that bad an offer to me. Reasonably fair. 

But it wouldn't have mattered.

« Reply #1536 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Rumors swirling about Rozier being in sign and trade.  How about Gordon to CHA, Rozier to SAC and Bogdan to Celtics.

Brilliant!  I'd love that.

And to make myself unpopular here -- I'd be good with Rozier coming back. 40% from 3 last year.

« Reply #1537 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Yes and now that I see what Danny wanted, it doesn't sound like that bad an offer to me. Reasonably fair. 

If this is the deal then its extremely fair.  Obviously the pacers didn't want Gordon that bad.  This is on Indy not Danny.

« Reply #1538 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

How? I assume that, if they hadn't given him the extension, he would have just opted out. That 2 extra days gave us more time to find a trade where he would opt in, but it didn't hurt us in any other way.

Teams couldn't talk to him during that time. The deadline for players opting out (Hayward included) was more than 24 hours before free agency began. All it did was push his deadline from pre-draft to post-draft.

You're probably right. But if he opted in before the draft, we could have packaged him with picks and negotiated a stronger package with Indy, and controlled him.  But I agree, he probably would have opted out anyway, because his agent knew the FA market by then.

« Reply #1539 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Would be nice, but I think the Hornets already waived Batun, no?  I just don't think we would ever get something like Rosier back; he has too much value for them, even if he is overpaid.

« Reply #1540 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

If this is the deal then its extremely fair.  Obviously the pacers didn't want Gordon that bad.  This is on Indy not Danny.
Indy fans posting that Danny is delusional if he thought he could get those 2... i have seen them live playing and at the time holiday and Warren seemed just ok... I think they were miles better in the bubble though

« Reply #1541 on: November 21, 2020, 08:43:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Would be nice, but I think the Hornets already waived Batun, no?  I just don't think we would ever get something like Rosier back; he has too much value for them, even if he is overpaid.

Maybe so, but Rozier is clearly p---ed about something. Maybe he got moved in another deal

« Reply #1542 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

« Reply #1543 on: November 21, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1330327597344022528

Look, I know folks are upset we didn't get back anything for Hayward. But if the alternative is to take back Rozier, then I'll gladly except nothing lol  :P

Otherwise, I'm intrigued!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1544 on: November 21, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1330327597344022528

Look, I know folks are upset we didn't get back anything for Hayward. But if the alternative is to take back Rozier, then I'll gladly except nothing lol  :P

Otherwise, I'm intrigued!

I would assume Hayward+1 or 2 seconds for a top-55 protected 2nd. That would make us a huge trade exception (bigger than we could use this season, short of trading away ~6 million in salary)

I don't see any chance of a player coming back, the contracts they have are all either very small or brutally large
I'm bitter.