Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187541 times)

Re: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)
« Reply #1455 on: November 21, 2020, 04:16:53 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Danny just had a bad week, that's all. It's ok if he ruined the team.

How exactly did he "ruin the team"?
Ok Danny, you can have Turner and McDermott, or you can choose to have nothing instead.
Danny: well I don't want McDermott, so if I can't have my way, I don't want Turner either.

That's not how sign and trades work. Even if Danny had wanted nothing in return, the whole deal falls apart if Hayward decides to sign elsewhere. Charlotte offered 4/$120 million and Indy wouldn't match it, there's nothing else that can be done.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1456 on: November 21, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Next steps:

* Sign Millsap
* Sign Dedmon
* S&T Hayward to Charlotte for a TPE
* S&T for Bogdonavic using TPE

Theis / Dedmon / Williams
Tatum / Millsap / Williams
Brown / Nesmith
Bogs / Smart
Kemba / Pritchard

Not happening, but losing Hayward could lead to increased flexibility.

Millsap would be a nice short term piece.  I’d love to see Bogdanovic at this point.  Dedmon is a weird player.  I’m not sure he’s just never been utilized right or he just doesn’t have the right skill set to fit in with anyone consistently.  He just seems to contribute to losing a lot.  But he’s played on some bad teams.
Yup

« Reply #1457 on: November 21, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Next steps:

* Sign Millsap
* Sign Dedmon

Brown / Nesmith
Bogs / Smart
Kemba / Pritchard

Millsap would be a nice short term piece.  I’d love to see Bogdanovic at this point.  Dedmon is a weird player.  I’m not sure he’s just never been utilized right or he just doesn’t have the right skill set to fit in with anyone consistently.  He just seems to contribute to losing a lot.  But he’s played on some bad teams.
At this point, a short term piece is all you want. Hopefully to buy some time so that one of the multitude of recent 1st round picks can develop into a consistent rotation player.  Wouldn't hurt to put a respected veteran player with this crew either.  Bench right now is way too young.

« Reply #1458 on: November 21, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2524
Next steps:

* Sign Millsap
* Sign Dedmon

Brown / Nesmith
Bogs / Smart
Kemba / Pritchard

At this point, a short term piece is all you want. Hopefully to buy some time so that one of the multitude of recent 1st round picks can develop into a consistent rotation player.  Wouldn't hurt to put a respected veteran player with this crew either.  Bench right now is way too young.

True bench is too young, but worth pointing out that Pritchard is 23 and Nesmith 21 coming in.  They could produce this year.  Fingers crossed for growth by the Williams' and Romeo. 

« Reply #1459 on: November 21, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Currently we only have avout $104M as our payroll. We're actually below the salary cap, so do we even qualify for the full MLE? We need a contract like we had with Amir Johnson (an expiring contract that can be used as filler for later trades) or a TPE.

« Reply #1460 on: November 21, 2020, 04:32:40 PM »

Offline SteveD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
Next steps:

* Sign Millsap
* Sign Dedmon

Brown / Nesmith
Bogs / Smart
Kemba / Pritchard

Now why would you get my hopes up? Lol. It's mean.
Dedmon, really ? All the big fish have already been caught while Danny was left trying to bait his hook. Now all that's left are a few suckers.

« Reply #1461 on: November 21, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Give me Evan Turner, Ersan Ilyasova and Joakim Noah (if we only can get free agents).
Players with a high BBIQ, professionalism, experience and leadership.

« Reply #1462 on: November 21, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Unlike others I'm not very high on Myles and would have preferred GH. However he got paid more than I think any of us feel he's worth. Good to him and his family. Kemba needs to bring it this season.
ok fine

« Reply #1463 on: November 21, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I’m sure the information is buried in here somewhere but...

Would someone mind providing a financial look of where we are at and what we KNOW to have at our disposal as of this moment?
Are we below the salary cap? How far and what does that get us?
What 3-letter (BAE, MLE, TPE) contract devices do we have and what’s their worth?

TP for the most thorough response!!

« Reply #1464 on: November 21, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Bring back Antoine, be the perfect small ball 5😉

« Reply #1465 on: November 21, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Give me Evan Turner, Ersan Ilyasova and Joakim Noah (if we only can get free agents).
Players with a high BBIQ, professionalism, experience and leadership.

Ugh. People please stop. Evan Turner wasn't very good when he was here, and he's much worse now.

« Reply #1466 on: November 21, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think it’s important not to kick the guy as he walks out the door, but there is a sting from a guy who we showed such patience with after the ankle injury. Basically we stuck with this player through two throwaway years, got one good year out of him (minus playoffs), and... he gone. Plus there’s the whole unfinished-business-with-Brad thing (remember that Player’s Tribune post?), and, of course, everything we’ve been hearing this past week about him wanting to go back home to Indiana. So yeah, this one hurts.

I think some of us are now realizing that our assumption that Hayward was somehow different that other players — small ego, willing to sacrifice for the team, happy to take a supporting role, not just about the money — was false. In the end, Hayward sounds more like most other elite athletes: looking to score big on his next contract, preferring to be one of the top guys wherever he plays, and probably a little in denial about the current stage of his career. That’s more a criticism of us than it is of the player.

« Reply #1467 on: November 21, 2020, 04:40:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Would someone mind providing a financial look of where we are at and what we KNOW to have at our disposal as of this moment?
What 3-letter (BAE, MLE, TPE) contract devices do we have and what’s their worth?

Was gonna ask the same thing. Do we theoretically have cap now? Bogdanovic is still out there, can we make a competitive offer?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1468 on: November 21, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

1. We are not under the salary cap but rather under the salary tax threshold now that Hayward has walked.

2. This will provide the Celtics with the larger of the two possible Middle Level Exceptions (MLE) at about $9 million.

3. The Celtics have access to the Bi-Annual Exception (BAE) and could potentially sign Millsap with it.

4. The Celtics have acquired/created two Traded Player Exceptions (TPE) in recent days. One of about $2.5 million when Poirier was traded; another TPE of $5 million was acquired/created when Kanter was traded.

As always, I make mistakes...so someone correct me if I got anything wrong. I figured I could at least take a stab at answering you, though!

« Reply #1469 on: November 21, 2020, 04:44:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2524

Was gonna ask the same thing. Do we theoretically have cap now? Bogdanovic is still out there, can we make a competitive offer?

Bogdanovic isn't a FA.  Would need to trade.  Hope we could though.

Sorry - he is a Restricted FA.  We could conceivably sign him but unlikely have anywhere near enough.   Best case a S&T.