Author Topic: Simple Question on the Cavs/ Ilgauskas/ Washington buyout  (Read 1049 times)

Simple Question on the Cavs/ Ilgauskas/ Washington buyout
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I just read this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au1GDyeF0YavC1MTk89oTDS8vLYF?slug=aw-ilgauskascavs022210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Why would the Wizards dump Jamison for so little, if they planned to buy out Z all along?  (Whether or not this was an under-the-table agreement.)

Nobody was willing to part with a player that would've helped them, or even an expiring contract?  Instead, they get some contract relief, I guess, but is that it?

If I'm Washington, I can't do better than that for an All Star?

Re: Simple Question on the Cavs/ Ilgauskas/ Washington buyout
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
I just read this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au1GDyeF0YavC1MTk89oTDS8vLYF?slug=aw-ilgauskascavs022210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Why would the Wizards dump Jamison for so little, if they planned to buy out Z all along?  (Whether or not this was an under-the-table agreement.)

Nobody was willing to part with a player that would've helped them, or even an expiring contract?  Instead, they get some contract relief, I guess, but is that it?

If I'm Washington, I can't do better than that for an All Star?

they are trying to sell the team to Ted Leonsis ... they want to strip the asset bare, that's why ... Leonsis owns the Caps and was the minority partner with Abe Pollin - upon Pollin's death he had first dibs on the Wizards - there have been issues with the sale (like the economy in 2010), so they are trying to get the team in shape for him to buy

and they actually do not HAVE to buy out Z anymore when they dealt Dominic McGuire to SAC for a handful of magic beans.  They will - but they can drive a harder bargain than they might have otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Sadly, your answer makes a lot of sense.  I'm giving you a TP, thanks!

But crap like that is why the NBA loses some fans.  If not every team takes competition seriously, then how can the fans?

And are you saying that the Wizards could just give Z away in a trade instead of buying him out?  If so, why buy him out at all?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Sadly, your answer makes a lot of sense.  I'm giving you a TP, thanks!

But crap like that is why the NBA loses some fans.  If not every team takes competition seriously, then how can the fans?

And are you saying that the Wizards could just give Z away in a trade instead of buying him out?  If so, why buy him out at all?

no - the Wizards traded Dominic McGuire to SAC for nothing ... this trade got them under the luxury tax line ... so they actually do not have to buy Z out anymore, and thus can drive a harder bargain with Z and his agent.  I imagine it will get done because there is no value to the Wizards not to settle ...