Author Topic: Fultz now pump faking free throws like Barkleys golf swing (video)  (Read 4852 times)

Re: Fultz now pump faking free throws like Barkleys golf swing (video)
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1070072705511116800

Agent Raymond Brothers: “Markelle (Fultz) has been diagnosed with Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, (TOS), a physical injury. TOS affects nerves between the neck and shoulder resulting in abnormal functional movement and range of motion, thus severely shoot a basketball...”

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1070073218222841856

Clarification: “...thus severely limiting Markelle’s ability to shoot a basketball. TOS is treatable by physical therapy.”

Just the timeline of everything with Fultz leaving the team 2 weeks ago, and no announcement until now, plus everything before it too, I wonder if they had to go doctor shopping to find that diagnosis.

Doctor 1: There's nothing wrong
Doctor 2: There's nothing wrong
Doctor 3: There's nothing wrong
Doctor 10: He might have Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Finally get the answer they want so now they go public with it.
How would that help Fultz?  His value is sunk until he gets on the court and shows he can play reasonably well and for some period of time without a recurrence.

Selling a treatable physical issue is far better than a mental block with a historically poor prognosis.

Yea this seems pretty obvious. I believe there was even a report that teams considering trading for him were concerned it could be mental.
Except this isn't a typical injury with a lot of history that teams can bank on.  There's not a standard test for it so there is a significant chance that the diagnosis isn't correct.  Typical treatment doesn't require surgery but I just read a story about 4 Padres pitchers that had surgery for it.  So there's a lot of uncertainty. 

Maybe this diagnosis helps the Sixers a bit if they want to trade him but does it really help Fultz?  Is any team really going to pickup his 4th year 12.2M option based on this diagnosis without him getting back on court and proving that he can actually play for some time without a recurrence? 

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Agent Raymond Brothers: “Markelle (Fultz) has been diagnosed with Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, (TOS), a physical injury. TOS affects nerves between the neck and shoulder resulting in abnormal functional movement and range of motion, thus severely shoot a basketball...”

Clarification: “...thus severely limiting Markelle’s ability to shoot a basketball. TOS is treatable by physical therapy.”

Just the timeline of everything with Fultz leaving the team 2 weeks ago, and no announcement until now, plus everything before it too, I wonder if they had to go doctor shopping to find that diagnosis.

How would that help Fultz?  His value is sunk until he gets on the court and shows he can play reasonably well and for some period of time without a recurrence.

Selling a treatable physical issue is far better than a mental block with a historically poor prognosis.

Yea this seems pretty obvious. I believe there was even a report that teams considering trading for him were concerned it could be mental.
Except this isn't a typical injury with a lot of history that teams can bank on.  There's not a standard test for it so there is a significant chance that the diagnosis isn't correct.  Typical treatment doesn't require surgery but I just read a story about 4 Padres pitchers that had surgery for it.  So there's a lot of uncertainty. 

Maybe this diagnosis helps the Sixers a bit if they want to trade him but does it really help Fultz?  Is any team really going to pickup his 4th year 12.2M option based on this diagnosis without him getting back on court and proving that he can actually play for some time without a recurrence?

Yeah. Also, if we assume this diagnosis is correct, the common cause of it is repetitive movement. In over 50 years of NBA basketball, no player has ever been diagnosed with this. If at his age he can't practice shooting the ball without injuring himself, what does that say about his long term prognosis? Especially considering that he took half the year off in college too.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah. Also, if we assume this diagnosis is correct, the common cause of it is repetitive movement. In over 50 years of NBA basketball, no player has ever been diagnosed with this. If at his age he can't practice shooting the ball without injuring himself, what does that say about his long term prognosis? Especially considering that he took half the year off in college too.
Sounds like there has been ~20 MLB pitchers diagnosed with the NTOS in recent years and the surgery involves removing the 1st rib and potentially some muscle.  From the story I read, it sounds like the surgery has generally been successful with a variable recovery period.  I expect the physical therapy route won't work for Fultz and they'll have to resort to surgery but how successful is that going to be for a pro basketball player?   

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Sounds like there has been ~20 MLB pitchers diagnosed with the NTOS in recent years and the surgery involves removing the 1st rib and potentially some muscle.  From the story I read, it sounds like the surgery has generally been successful with a variable recovery period.  I expect the physical therapy route won't work for Fultz and they'll have to resort to surgery but how successful is that going to be for a pro basketball player?

Yeah, but pitching a baseball at high speed is a totally different motion that causes all sorts of injuries in pitchers. It's really odd that shooting a basketball would do that, and is concerning about whether or not that is the correct diagnosis, and if so, its worrisome for his stability long term if he can't manage to shoot the ball without hurting himself.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah, but pitching a baseball at high speed is a totally different motion that causes all sorts of injuries in pitchers. It's really odd that shooting a basketball would do that, and is concerning about whether or not that is the correct diagnosis, and if so, its worrisome for his stability long term if he can't manage to shoot the ball without hurting himself.
Which is why I don't think the diagnosis itself makes much change in how teams view Fultz.  Medical staffs won't be able to give an informed opinion as to recovery time, long-term prognosis, etc.     

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If it is mental, sometimes it’s good to just give a patient a diagnosis. Now he has good reason to believe he is messed up.

If doctor after doctor tells you nothing is wrong, but he believes there is, it’s going to keep building up in his head.

So now he can work on fixing his “syndrome” with renowned doctors and physical therapists.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
If it is mental, sometimes it’s good to just give a patient a diagnosis. Now he has good reason to believe he is messed up.

If doctor after doctor tells you nothing is wrong, but he believes there is, it’s going to keep building up in his head.

So now he can work on fixing his “syndrome” with renowned doctors and physical therapists.

Which is all well and good until one of those doctors decides to put him under the knife and remove a rib

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

That sounds horrible. Man and I am reading a horror book right now.
Which is all well and good until one of those doctors decides to put him under the knife and remove a rib

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 11:08:47 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I am very happy we won that trade and all - but at some point, you gotta feel bad for this kid. Having said that, I am relieved we have Tatum instead of Fultz or Ball.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Following pro ball for 55 years, I've never seen anything like this. I feel bad for him.

However, I always had Tatum at the top of my board. Fultz had a history of being on underperforming teams (which can happen) and Ball's shot was always suspect.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Knew someone with this diagnosis years ago.  In her case it wasn't very treatable...more like a live with the discomfort kind of thing.  But I don't know much about it...are there varying degrees, treatability, etc.?   Maybe the science and treatment of it is has improved over past 20 years...

In any case...I think it's a nasty thing to have.