Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959847 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1875 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
oblivion.....it was awesome (although my little lady HATED it).  unique, original, and good plot twists.  im a sci-fi sucker
Totally agree ... original, intense, amazing CGI, solid story and acting ... loved it!

Can't wait for Ender's Game, (looking forward to Into Darkness and World War Z as well).

I saw the Enders game trailer, and got the sneaking suspicion that it was going to absolutely suck. This is coming from a person who believes Speaker For The Dead is the most perfect science fiction book ever written, and a guy who has been waiting for an ender's game movie longer than he'd been wanting to kiss girls. The book is a defining moment for me in my growth as a human being.

And it looked like they turned it into a CGI slopfest pseudo-action movie.
That would indeed suck ... one of my favorite books of all time, all genres included, (tho I'm an admitted sci-fi freak), and a book that changed my entire outlook on fiction, (set a new standard, I should say).

Granted, I would never expect the movie to compare with the book, (that would be setting up for a major let-down, as is usually the case IMO), but it would also be difficult to not turn such a masterpiece into something with some major substance and teeth.

Man, I hope you're wrong. ;)

I havent been as excited for a new movie to come out after seeing its trailer since I cant remember when. The trailer for Enders Game is pretty dang gnarley.

« Reply #1876 on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was thinking the other day and I don't think I've been to the theater to watch a movie that didn't involve a Hobbit, a British kid that does magic, a man in a bat suit, or a vampire in a long long time.  It's sorta sad when TV produces better stuff but that's kinda where we are now

« Reply #1877 on: May 20, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Renoir.....beautiful scenery

« Reply #1878 on: May 22, 2013, 06:17:40 AM »

Kiorrik

The Cabin in the Woods.

Neat-o :] Just watch it if you're into horror flicks and cool plot twists.

Also, thanks to everyone who said to watch this. That was epic :D

« Reply #1879 on: May 23, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Silver Linings Playbook with the wife.  There was too much of characters yelling over each other, especially early on, and just about anything that advanced the plot was horribly contrived, but it was pretty enjoyable overall, and it led to me developing the Silver Linings Playbook guide to dealing with psychological issues:

1. Be attractive.
2. Don't be unattractive.
3. Find the worst therapist possible, for that crucial mix of deliberate provocation and enabling.
4. Randomly cross paths with someone else attractive and not unattractive who also has mental issues. 
5. Do everything in your power to drive that person away.  It'll totally work out!

Hated it.  I guess I should have "suspended disbelief", but I was confused why they decided to present bi-polar as if it was autism.  I kept thinking Bradley Cooper was trying to mimic Dustin Hoffman's Rainman (with a dash of delusions).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1880 on: May 23, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great Gatsby, thought it was good but could have been better.

Visually it was awesome, the parties at his house were cool looking with vibrant colors and beautiful people arranged in interesting manners.

Tobey McGuire was probably not the best choice for that character.

My freshman english teacher always would say showing is better than telling. Tobey McGuire's character refered to Gatsby as the most hopeful person he had ever met several times in the movie, but that impression wasn't given from Gatsby's actions. Since DiCaprio is an excellent actor I blame the writers for this.

I liked how the rap music was interspersed throughout the movie, because to me I associate rap music with opulence which went with the scenes it was used in. However, if you aren't a fan of rap music and don't make that association, the music didn't make a lick of sense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1881 on: May 23, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Great Gatsby, thought it was good but could have been better.

Visually it was awesome, the parties at his house were cool looking with vibrant colors and beautiful people arranged in interesting manners.

Tobey McGuire was probably not the best choice for that character.

My freshman english teacher always would say showing is better than telling. Tobey McGuire's character refered to Gatsby as the most hopeful person he had ever met several times in the movie, but that impression wasn't given from Gatsby's actions. Since DiCaprio is an excellent actor I blame the writers for this.

I liked how the rap music was interspersed throughout the movie, because to me I associate rap music with opulence which went with the scenes it was used in. However, if you aren't a fan of rap music and don't make that association, the music didn't make a lick of sense.

I think they picked the wrong Pullman/Paxson.

A lesser known version of the Pullman/Paxon is Toby McGuire and Elijah Wood.

I think Elijah Wood would've been a perfect Nick Caraway.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1882 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Watching "Glory Road" on BET right now.  Never saw it before.  Interesting movie so far...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1883 on: May 25, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Silver Linings Playbook with the wife.  There was too much of characters yelling over each other, especially early on, and just about anything that advanced the plot was horribly contrived, but it was pretty enjoyable overall, and it led to me developing the Silver Linings Playbook guide to dealing with psychological issues:

1. Be attractive.
2. Don't be unattractive.
3. Find the worst therapist possible, for that crucial mix of deliberate provocation and enabling.
4. Randomly cross paths with someone else attractive and not unattractive who also has mental issues. 
5. Do everything in your power to drive that person away.  It'll totally work out!
[/
Hated it.  I guess I should have "suspended disbelief", but I was confused why they decided to present bi-polar as if it was autism.  I kept thinking Bradley Cooper was trying to mimic Dustin Hoffman's Rainman (with a dash of delusions).

The book was really good.

« Reply #1884 on: May 26, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I saw Star Trek 2 on Wednesday... or "Star Trek: Into the Darkness", I guess it's called.

Tons of fun.  Really liked it.  I never watched the old TV show or any of the old movies, but over the past month I watched the original Star Trek II, III and IV for the first time on Netflix. 

I'm glad I watched those.  This Star Trek 2 has a lot in common with Star Trek II (which apparently most fans see as the best of the original films).  For fans of the shows/movies, they'll probably get a kick out of how certain events in this alternate-universe Star Trek mirror the "prime universe"  Shatner/Nemoy version.

Non-Fans will love it as well.  Fast paced... lots of action... definitely worth seeing in the theater.
Funny thing!   ;)  We were trying to decide on what to see tonight at the theater...I said, "How about the new Star Trek?  my husband (not a blog member) said..."check the Blog to see what they think of it."  So here I am, and we will go see it tonight!  ha ha ha  Thanks LarBrd33, I am sure we will get a kick out of it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #1885 on: May 26, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »

Kiorrik

I saw Star Trek 2 on Wednesday... or "Star Trek: Into the Darkness", I guess it's called.

Tons of fun.  Really liked it.  I never watched the old TV show or any of the old movies, but over the past month I watched the original Star Trek II, III and IV for the first time on Netflix. 

I'm glad I watched those.  This Star Trek 2 has a lot in common with Star Trek II (which apparently most fans see as the best of the original films).  For fans of the shows/movies, they'll probably get a kick out of how certain events in this alternate-universe Star Trek mirror the "prime universe"  Shatner/Nemoy version.

Non-Fans will love it as well.  Fast paced... lots of action... definitely worth seeing in the theater.
Funny thing!   ;)  We were trying to decide on what to see tonight at the theater...I said, "How about the new Star Trek?  my husband (not a blog member) said..."check the Blog to see what they think of it."  So here I am, and we will go see it tonight!  ha ha ha  Thanks LarBrd33, I am sure we will get a kick out of it.
Do let us know how you felt afterwards! There's more people depending on this thread than you know haha :D

« Reply #1886 on: May 26, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Life of Pi...
a must see, especially in 3D IMAX or whatever, there are so many beautiful scenes...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #1887 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Last Stand with Schwarzenegger.  Loved it.  best movie he's done in years (yeah, I know, it's the only movie he's done in years).  fun movie with plenty of action.  Arnie's character was scaled back from his previous super-human or super-cool characters and it worked really well.

« Reply #1888 on: May 26, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

Do let us know how you felt afterwards! There's more people depending on this thread than you know haha :D
Everyone must be reading Blog reviews, because it was sold out!  We bought a ticket for the 3-D version (which was two hours later), walked around the (closed) mall a bit, then decided  to go later this week and got refunds!  Will report when I finally see it!   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #1889 on: May 26, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Life of Pi...
a must see, especially in 3D IMAX or whatever, there are so many beautiful scenes...
Life of Pi was one of my two favorite movies last year.  (The other was The Exotic Marigold Hotel.)  Beautiful cinematography in both.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...