Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 960192 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1590 on: May 15, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

Offline tom halzack

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Add me to Avengers recommendations.

Comic book hero lover or not - great action movie.

Love how they did the Hulk. Killer action scene at the end.

And yes, I grew up with comic books. They could never pull off the stuff they do today when these guys first came out. I always hoped that one day that could happen. That day is here. The comedy 'throw ins' helped a lot.

« Reply #1591 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »

Offline tenaciousT

• Author
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2502
test

« Reply #1592 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Avengers it was great!

« Reply #1593 on: June 13, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Prometheus was very good, I'd give it an 8.5/10. Wasn't really scary, but a great movie to watch and it's interesting how it connects to the Aliens movies.

« Reply #1594 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline All Star Matt Clement

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Prometheus was very good, I'd give it an 8.5/10. Wasn't really scary, but a great movie to watch and it's interesting how it connects to the Aliens movies.
+1
havent had a movie that made me think for so long afterward for quite a while

« Reply #1595 on: June 13, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Saw "The Avengers"....liked it.

Saw "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"...loved it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1596 on: June 13, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

While the movie was a visual masterpiece and I was entertained, I did think the movie was all over the place in terms of the story.

« Reply #1597 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I watched this probably 7 or 8 years ago and remember liking it a lot but being somewhat confused... I went into it remembering almost nothing from what i watched and revisited with pretty much clean slate. Boy, what an amazing movie it really is. The way Gondry directs and goes through each memory is absolutely breathtaking. It is a true masterpiece if you can keep your attention focused throughout.

« Reply #1598 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Prometheus (3D) - I liked it.  My wife and I definitely had a good discussion about what was what and why afterwards.  For the most part they avoided being overly hokey (though there were a few moments). 3D element was definitely worth while if you have the option.

Brave  - Pixar seems to have gotten away from creating iconic characters within classic films.  How many times can you really, deliberately do that though?  This one simply tells a nice story in beautiful setting.  

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Very discomforting movie.  Mom with a very naughty boy.  It has a slow pace and somewhat of an inevitable outcome, but uses two timelines to bring things together nicely.  Very disturbing in parts.  Pretty good study of some human qualities (the good and bad).  
Yup

« Reply #1599 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I've heard good things about We Need to Talk About Kevin.

« Reply #1600 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Shutter Island...Each time i watch i find something new. Great flick.

« Reply #1601 on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Local theater here in Seattle was having a bit of a Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki film festival... showing all of their classic movies.  If you're not familiar with Miyazaki... basically he's the Japanese Walt Disney.  His films are incredible...  "Spirited Away", "Princess Mononoke", "Castle in the Sky" "Howl's Moving Castle"... more recently "Ponyo" and "The Secret World of Arrietty"...  I've seen a ton of them over the years.  They are all brilliant and wonderfully charming.  Seriously... I'm not the kind of person who would be into anime, but I have thoroughly enjoyed many of those movies.  Most of them seem to have a theme of preserving the environment.  Some are more approachable than others, honestly.  They usually do a great job of getting excellent American voice actors to dub the american releases.  Honestly If you have kids and are sick of showing them the same soulless garbage (look it's Chris Rock as a zebra again), I'd highly recommend some of these films.  I think "The Secret World of Arrietty" (which just came out fairly recently) was one of the most approachable of any Studio Ghibili film...  Pretty straight-forward.  Based on a popular children's book series (The Borrowers)... US version had voice acting such as Amy Poehler and Will Arnett ... can't go wrong, really.  If you have a little kid ... show them this movie.  For real.  It's super good.  Everyone seems to have their favorite of the Studio Ghibili films... another one I really liked was "Howl's Moving Castle".  A couple were just a little too "out there" for me... I think they were just a little too culturally specific for me to relate.

ANyhow.  I didn't see any of those films last night.  I went with my girlfriend and her mother and we saw one of the earlier films (1994) called "Pom Poko".  I'm sure it's a classic as well... definitely charming and wonderful in it's own way... but... well... a little different.  It caught us a little off guard.  Weren't totally expecting what we saw.  It was ... umm... well...  Here... This video might sum it up

Long story short... it's a cartoon about shape-shifting raccoons who fight with magical shape-shifting testicles.

Again... sometimes I think some of the cultural differences throw me a bit.

« Reply #1602 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
A few nights ago I watched a movie called The Cabin in the Woods. It's not the type of film I would usually go see but we had pretty much watched everything else screening at the cinema so we didn't have a choice. Lucky for us, because it turned out to be awesome! Chris Hemsworth is the lead actor and Sigourny Weaver makes a cameo appearance. It's basically a typical "college students go to a secluded forest cabin for spring break only to be ripped to pieces" except there is a big Truman Show type twist. Brutally gruesome but also plenty of jokes. If you have a chance to see it on the big screen I highly recommend it, it's a great film.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/

« Reply #1603 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Prometheus was very, very good...well-made!

I was hesitant at first to go see it, but I can honestly say that IMO it was worth EVERY BIT of the hype.

« Reply #1604 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I watched Ted last night.

Pros: More funny than 21 jump street, Mark Wahlberg was great, its obviously from the 'Family Guy' tree of humor, and its very well cast. Really loved it, and there were three parts that had me laughing so hard I farted, coughed, and cried at the same time.

Cons: About 3/4 through the movie, the jokes stop, and its just..nothin, for like 5 minutes. It picks back up and finishes strong though.

Highly recommend it.

Also, Magic Mike was playing at the same mmovie theater. The line went out the door and around the corner, and sold out with probably 50-75 women left wanting.

And they were not pleased. And they did not find my jokes about Channing Tatum to be hilarious, nor my calls of 'Wait, they've got 2 more tickets!'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner