Author Topic: Cavaliers (4-16) at Celtics (11-10) Game #22 11/30/18  (Read 22426 times)

Re: Cavaliers (4-16) at Celtics (11-10) Game #22 11/30/18
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Started the game late due to being on-call with a late consult this afternoon, but it seems clear that we look so much better with Smart and Morris in the starting lineup. Having another playmaker has allowed Kyrie to play off the ball more, which he excels in. Until Hayward is fully back, I like starting Smart over Brown in the starting lineup, as it makes us that much more dynamic on both offense and defense.

Agree. If it's good enough for Gordon to come off the bench right now it should be good enough for Jaylen as well.
I agree that in the last 2 games while playing against pathetic defenses, the Kyrie Smart tandem has looked good. But that was against dreadful defenses.

Brown was coming out of his doldrums the four games before getting hurt hitting 19 of 31 for 12 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 steal per game in just 24 MPG.

I would have no problem with Stevens starting Brown again trying to build off what he was doing before the bump, but I would have no problem with going with Smart either.

I just think making a judgment on Smart's impact to the starters is probably hard to quantify given it's just two games, both against atrocious defensive teams. And, the Celtics seemed to start getting off to much faster starts in Brown's last 4 starts. So Stevens has two things to decide whether he wants to build on: Smart's performances in the last two games or Brown's improved play the 4 games before then.

I am good with either though prefer Smart off the bench.

I think Smart on the starting team will eventually limit Tatum's touches and I am not crazy about that. With Kyrie, Smart and Horford starting they will play the three man game from the top of the key while Tatum sits in a corner. With Smart on the bench and Brown starting, Tatum will be in that three man game and Brown will be the one sitting in the corner. I think that best for Tatum's development long term.

I知 coming more from the view Paul Pierce espoused.  He said something to the effect of these guys are looking to establish their names but they need to instead be thinking about sacrifice.  He said the way to make a name is to win.  Tatum and brown will be successful NBA players for years to come.  I知 not worried about their development.  I知 happier if Tatum has less ball handling duties for the moment not more.  He has been better this year so far getting his offense with less time handling the ball and making quicker moves that surprise the defense.  I agree Brown can easily start, but I like Smart starting more.

« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Started the game late due to being on-call with a late consult this afternoon, but it seems clear that we look so much better with Smart and Morris in the starting lineup. Having another playmaker has allowed Kyrie to play off the ball more, which he excels in. Until Hayward is fully back, I like starting Smart over Brown in the starting lineup, as it makes us that much more dynamic on both offense and defense.

Agree. If it's good enough for Gordon to come off the bench right now it should be good enough for Jaylen as well.
I agree that in the last 2 games while playing against pathetic defenses, the Kyrie Smart tandem has looked good. But that was against dreadful defenses.

Brown was coming out of his doldrums the four games before getting hurt hitting 19 of 31 for 12 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 steal per game in just 24 MPG.

I would have no problem with Stevens starting Brown again trying to build off what he was doing before the bump, but I would have no problem with going with Smart either.

I just think making a judgment on Smart's impact to the starters is probably hard to quantify given it's just two games, both against atrocious defensive teams. And, the Celtics seemed to start getting off to much faster starts in Brown's last 4 starts. So Stevens has two things to decide whether he wants to build on: Smart's performances in the last two games or Brown's improved play the 4 games before then.

I am good with either though prefer Smart off the bench.

I think Smart on the starting team will eventually limit Tatum's touches and I am not crazy about that. With Kyrie, Smart and Horford starting they will play the three man game from the top of the key while Tatum sits in a corner. With Smart on the bench and Brown starting, Tatum will be in that three man game and Brown will be the one sitting in the corner. I think that best for Tatum's development long term.

I知 coming more from the view Paul Pierce espoused.  He said something to the effect of these guys are looking to establish their names but they need to instead be thinking about sacrifice.  He said the way to make a name is to win.  Tatum and brown will be successful NBA players for years to come.  I知 not worried about their development.  I知 happier if Tatum has less ball handling duties for the moment not more.  He has been better this year so far getting his offense with less time handling the ball and making quicker moves that surprise the defense.  I agree Brown can easily start, but I like Smart starting more.

I agree with Pierce's view, but only up to a point. Pierce, Ray and KG had all gotten paid by the time they got together, it was much easier to sacrifice.

Guys like Brown and Rozier are playing for their next contract, which will be their first chance to secure their future financially. It's easy to say sacrifice for the team, but if it costs you what might be your only shot at millions of dollars, its not so easy. Look what happened to IT with his hip injury, it cost him big time.

That's partly why it's tough to win with young players in the NBA playing key roles, they will always be playing for their future salary to some extent.

« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
really? Are you saying these kids all need 200 million to secure their future? Theyhave already made more money at 21 than most people make their entire work careers

« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
really? Are you saying these kids all need 200 million to secure their future? Theyhave already made more money at 21 than most people make their entire work careers

« Reply #379 on: December 01, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

They just don't know how to manage their money. Give me one million or even half a million and I'll manage and invest in it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #380 on: December 01, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
really? Are you saying these kids all need 200 million to secure their future? They have already made more money at 21 than most people make their entire work careers

Thank You.

They secured their financial future when they signed their rookie contract - ballpark average what? 3-4 years @ $5-7 mill per = $15 to $25 million. The player should be secure, his parents should be comfortable, wife and children, on and on. Tatum purchasing a Lamborghini might be a little excessive - you telling me that he couldn't have a very cool luxury car for $60-80K?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce