Author Topic: It only takes a minute, but it's worth it  (Read 7300 times)

It only takes a minute, but it's worth it
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Happy Memorial Day.  The amazing thing about caring is that it isn't political, it isn't uncool and it isn't controversial.  Take a minute - hell, take less than a minute to quietly reflect and remember why most of us are not working today. 

Memorial Day is a United States Federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (in 2008 on May 26). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War, it was expanded after World War I to include casualties of any war or military action.

My family is blessed in that all of our members who have served for our country over the years have returned home safe and secure, but our heart aches for those families who have not been so blessed.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day, enjoy the barbecues, the great weather and of course your family and friends..........and let's hope that this evening the Celts do the unthinkable and repeat Saturday night's performance.

Peace
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: It only takes a minute, but it's worth it
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Even though I am working today, I will indeed take that moment as there is a small ceremony, paying tribute to those who died in battle, within a stones throw of my workplace.  I had a moment or two last night while watching bits and pieces of "The Thin Red Line" too.

Thanks for the reminder SSFan

and enjoy your cookouts etc...(I had mine yesterday - mmmmmmmmmm...burgers)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:07:58 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Please ake time out for a moment of silence at exactly 3:00 pm (local time wherever you are), the National Moment of Remembrance. If you listen quietly, you may hear the sound of a bugler in your area, one of the thousands that will sound Taps today at three o'clock.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Fair warning: the first poster who makes this thread political or turns it into a discussion of current events is getting suspended.

Happy Memorial Day to all.   

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Fair warning: the first poster who makes this thread political or turns it into a discussion of current events is getting suspended.

Sorry, but that just seems funny - happy memorial day, if you talk about this in a way we don't like, you will be suspended...

Its like happy birthday son, now clean your room
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Sorry, but that just seems funny - happy memorial day, if you talk about this in a way we don't like, you will be suspended...

Its like happy birthday son, now clean your room

I hear ya.  I probably should have split them into two separate posts, but I was kind of amused by the contrast, too.  I was serious about both, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »

Offline greenfan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
If you listen quietly, you may hear the sound of a bugler in your area, one of the thousands that will sound Taps today at three o'clock.

I misread this the first time through.  I thought you wrote that we may hear the sound of a BURGLER in our area. LOL

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
happy memorial day!  definately take a minute to reflect on the importance of this day, especially with whats been going on.

i know there are some posters who have loved ones in the military. tell them u love them and respect what they are doing. let them know there are people out there that appreciate their sacrafice.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
happy memorial day!  definately take a minute to reflect on the importance of this day, especially with whats been going on.

i know there are some posters who have loved ones in the military. tell them u love them and respect what they are doing. let them know there are people out there that appreciate their sacrafice.

TP
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

TP

thank u.  i gave u a TP as well for starting this thread, great job.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Great post, SSF.  Happy memorial day to all!

Thanks as always for keeping the patriots in line, RH  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Yes, Happy Memorial Day!  I married to  a retired Air Force officer and my father in law is also retired Air Force and I too am blessed that they both returned safe.  My prayers go out to families today that have lost loved ones in the military. Living near the Air Force base and getting to know many of our troops,  I can honestly say that we truly have the bravest and best troops in the world.   TP from me also.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
There actually was a very nice turnout for the ceremonies in town today.  It's definitely bittersweet seeing the aging WWII vets parading in their uniforms. 
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Memorial Day...a time to celebrate those who gave their lives for our country.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Being a Celticsblog member who lost a loved one overseas a few years ago and that has a brother-in-law that will be sent in the fray in Afganistan in September, this is both a joyous holiday giving thanks for those that paid the ultimate price to keep our country free and yet sad and mournful as my thoughts turn to my cousin's loss and brother-in-law's future.

I paid my respects earlier with a flag and a prayer and now will soon be going to a BBQ to spend time with my family and brother-in-law.

My all that are in a similar position be blessed and best wishes go out to those family members that are fighting and thoughts of appreciation to those that lost their life in service to their country.