Author Topic: Kyrie update  (Read 6720 times)

Re: Kyrie update
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 05:56:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Best player on a 60 win team for the first time his career this year!

If he stays with the Celtics, there will be more.
Nope.  Hayward is the Celtics best player.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=contrarian
that is pretty funny, but I've been saying it since they both arrived, Hayward is a better player than Irving.  Irving has been greatly overrated on this board.  It isn't surprising, but it also doesn't make his supposed greatness true.  Heck, last year the major sites said Hayward was better as well (though I suspect they will have Irving better this year just because of the Hayward injury). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 05:57:02 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Nope.  Hayward is the Celtics best player.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=contrarian
This made me audibly laugh hard, TP.

I think Hayward has a legit argument at being better than Kyrie, simply because he's so well-rounded. But ultimately I think Kyrie is our best player, considering he's one of the most talented offensive players in the league.

Now let's wait for points per shot stats to come flying ;)
No stats are necessary.
Kyrie didn't make Anthony Bennett better and we are talking about the 1st pick in the draft.
If he had a different PG beside him - watch out!

Well played good sir.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think we're going to hear a lot of Kyrie's name in the MVP discussions this year.

I can't wait.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I simply want a healthy team that plays well together on both ends and wins multiple banners during the next decade.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I think we're going to hear a lot of Kyrie's name in the MVP discussions this year.

I have my doubts - but I can see a pathway to it. Voters are likely to consider the top scorer on a 60+ win team to be 'in the discussion'.

The knee has to hold up...

He won't be the best player on the Celtics, though.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I have my doubts - but I can see a pathway to it. Voters are likely to consider the top scorer on a 60+ win team to be 'in the discussion'.

We don't need him to be the best player, we want to be the best team.
Teams win chips, players just win accolades.

Mike was the best player in the league '88-'90 and it didn't mean anything regarding the rings.
RW was the MVP 2 years ago and they lasted 5 playoff games.

Give me the best team (coaches, starters, bench) and I won't ask for anything more.
Kyrie can be the 35th player then.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He was routinely in the running for MVP race according to NBA.com throughout last year when he was healthy, around 5 or so. So if he returns to that level of play, he most likely will be (assuming we win, which we will ;) )
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He was routinely in the running for MVP race according to NBA.com throughout last year when he was healthy, around 5 or so. So if he returns to that level of play, he most likely will be (assuming we win, which we will ;) )
Hayward didn't play though and Hayward is better than Irving. 

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

And? LeBron and Durant are better players than Harden.

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lebron and Durant aren't on Harden's team.  Strange you don't see that correlation.  After all it isn't a coincidence that the defending 2 time MVP and first unanimous MVP in NBA history hasn't won the award since another top 5 player joined his team (who mind you was a former MVP and hasn't sniffed the award since either). 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:06:34 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lebron and Durant aren't on Harden's team.  Strange you don't see that correlation.  After all it isn't a coincidence that the defending 2 time MVP and first unanimous MVP in NBA history hasn't won the award since another top 5 player joined his team (who mind you was a former MVP and hasn't sniffed the award since either).
That isn't the point I was trying to make. I thought that was obvious.

You're implying that the best player will naturally lead the MVP race. I disagree with that, as things like defence are incredibly underrated

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Putting aside the question of who is better, Kyrie's style has resulted in more personal accolades than Hayward even though Hayward was always the #1 on his team and Kyrie wasn't for a lot of his time in Cleveland. Based just on that,  Kyrie is more likely to be in the MVP conversation.

And of the two injuries, Hayward's is going to be harder to come back from.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Putting aside the question of who is better, Kyrie's style has resulted in more personal accolades than Hayward even though Hayward was always the #1 on his team and Kyrie wasn't for a lot of his time in Cleveland. Based just on that,  Kyrie is more likely to be in the MVP conversation.

I don't disagree with much of this, but neither one is going to come all that close to winning the MVP.  I do disagree with the injury harder to come back from.  Irving's is far more likely to be recurring and have problems.  First, because it a knee has injured a lot.  Second, because it is a knee.  Third, because it wasn't a clean break.  It may take Hayward a bit longer to round into full playing shape (MAY), but I think he is much more likely to eventually return to 100% than Irving.  In fact, I expect Irving to have knee issues for the rest of his career (at least off and on). 

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I don't disagree with much of this, but neither one is going to come all that close to winning the MVP.  I do disagree with the injury harder to come back from.  Irving's is far more likely to be recurring and have problems.  First, because it a knee has injured a lot.  Second, because it is a knee.  Third, because it wasn't a clean break.  It may take Hayward a bit longer to round into full playing shape (MAY), but I think he is much more likely to eventually return to 100% than Irving.  In fact, I expect Irving to have knee issues for the rest of his career (at least off and on).

You've used an 8th place finish in MVP voting to support a player's legitimacy before, I don't remember if it was Davis or Kawhi.  Using your top 8 finish as precedent, we can dispel this.

Kyrie was top 5-7 last year when healthy and if Hayward or Al get injured he could easily be in that range again if healthy even if he doesn't get better than last year, so yeah, I disagree.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You've used an 8th place finish in MVP voting to support a player's legitimacy before, I don't remember if it was Davis or Kawhi.  Using your top 8 finish as precedent, we can dispel this.

Kyrie was top 5-7 last year when healthy and if Hayward or Al get injured he could easily be in that range again if healthy even if he doesn't get better than last year, so yeah, I disagree.
well sure if Hayward gets injured again, then yeah Irving would have a shot, but I'm not going to assume that Hayward gets injured again, especially when past history says it will be Irving missing time and not Hayward.