Author Topic: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...  (Read 38198 times)

If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If and only if Ainge decides to really make a blockbuster trade, I think it should be for a tier 1 big man.

KAT is not available.

But the next best thing could be Andre Drummond.

Celts will have to give up Smart, Kanter, Langford, Poirier, and a draft pick.

I consider Marcus Smart as the early season MVP of the Celts.
But once the Celts have everybody back and healthy, the Celts' best 5 will be Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart.

So what I'm trying to point out is replacing Smart and his great defense with a true tier 1 big man like Drummond.

Drummond, Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, and Brown is like a team of 5 All-Stars.

That's like GSW's Curry, KD, Klay, Draymond, and Cousins.

And Drummond is also only 26 years old.

What you guys think?

Re: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If and only if Ainge decides to really make a blockbuster trade, I think it should be for a tier 1 big man.

KAT is not available.

But once the Celts have everybody back and healthy, the Celts' best 5 will be Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart.

So what I'm trying to point out is replacing Smart and his great defense with a true tier 1 big man like Drummond.

What you guys think?

I do not think Drummond is worth trading a bunch of assets.

The basic counting stats are big but I don't think he would actually make the Celts much better.

I'd rather have Marcus smart tbh.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

KAT is not available.

What you guys think?

The basic counting stats are big but I don't think he would actually make the Celts much better.

Maybe on offense he doesn't really make the Celts that much better, but on defense, that's another story.

Having a guy like Drummond will negate the size of the likes of Embiid, DeAndre Jordan, Jarrett Allen, and Giannis will have a hard time scoring in the paint.

Drummond is not only a great rebounder, he's also a rim protector.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:22:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

KAT is not available.

What you guys think?

Maybe on offense he doesn't really make the Celts that much better, but on defense, that's another story.

Having a guy like Drummond will negate the size of the likes of Embiid, DeAndre Jordan, Jarrett Allen, and Giannis will have a hard time scoring in the paint.

Embiid has historically embarassed Drummond. He's not a guy to hope in for stopping Embiid.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:40:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am willing to go on the record to say that Marcus Smart should be an untouchable for the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:22 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
You make that trade to counter the 76ers' Embiid, the Bucks' Giannis, and the Lakers' Davis in the playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think the Celts should actually be that worried about the lack of size inside.

I don't think there's a solution to that problem that isn't going to cause issues elsewhere.

If anything I think they should be concerned with upgrading shooting on the bench without compromising too much on defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd rather stay small and best everyone with size, active hands and transition points.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »

Offline deekhead

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I am willing to go on the record to say that Marcus Smart should be an untouchable for the Celtics.

Marcus Smart is the tip of the Celtic spear!

D.H.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

KAT is not available.

What you guys think?

Embiid has historically embarassed Drummond. He's not a guy to hope in for stopping Embiid.

That's because Embiid is the better player on offense and Drummond has a weak supporting cast.

Let's see Embiid try to defend Drummond when Drummond has multiple star players around him.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
You make that trade to counter the 76ers' Embiid, the Bucks' Giannis, and the Lakers' Davis in the playoffs.

True.

The postseason will be different from the regular season.

Teams will be in a 7-game series and every game there will be adjustments.

Just like we thought we had the Bucks after beating them in Game 1 in last season's playoffs.

A more balanced Celtics team will have a better chance of winning a championship this season.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

True.

The postseason will be different from the regular season.

Teams will be in a 7-game series and every game there will be adjustments.

Just like we thought we had the Bucks after beating them in Game 1 in last season's playoffs.

A more balanced Celtics team will have a better chance of winning a championship this season.

The bucks beat us because Irving quit on us.

I’d rather have smart vs the freak than Drummond.

Smart is this teams KG. He brings the attitude every game you need to win playoff games. He’s the only guy that can change the game on the defensive end.

I think a big will pop up that won’t cost the team to much.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think Celtics have to make the blockbuster trade next summer but Danny needs salaries for matching ... maybe this winter he can trade for guys in the $8-13M salary range that are expiring next summer ... this way it will be much easier to bring Love or Griffin next summer

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 12:01:32 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I like Drummond, but that's a horrible trade. Trading Smart leaves a massive hole in the middle of this team. He is the heart and soul, can't be traded. No way Ainge will ever trade him.

Drummond isn't a tier 1 big man. There's only a handful of those guys - Embiid, Davis, Jokic, Freak, Towns - not Drummond. He isn't significantly better than Kanter on the offensive end or the boards. He's a better defender, but ultimately, he'd be the same liability on the switch we saw in Jokic last night. And Kanter didn't do a terrible job against Jokic.

We're giving up an elite defender and a potential future star for a guy who is neither. The only guy of our top 5 who could possibly be tradeable is Hayward, and only then if a) you believe he's leaving or b) you get a Kyrie type situation and can get an actual tier 1 guy.

IMO, the only feasible thing re: big man is wait for a cheap option in a couple months, hope RW takes a quantum leap now or next offseason, or wait for a Kyrie type situation. Short that, keep your big 5 and go cheap at the 5.

Hard pass.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Clint Capela is still my preferred target but Drummond is an interesting idea. He just turned 26 and is very durable. I'd definitely try and keep Smart, though, if we attempt a trade for him.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:11:25 AM by celts10 »