Author Topic: The way Miami goes early at the end of quarters.  (Read 1416 times)

The way Miami goes early at the end of quarters.
« on: October 10, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like the way Miami goes early in the shot clock at the end of quarters and then lets there defense end the quarter. I wish Brad Stevens would adopt this for the Celtics. It would make the end of quarter play more unpredictable and maybe more successful. It's also a good idea with how good a defensive team we have. I am very tired of watching this team dribble the shot clock down only to get a tough and predicable shot that hardly ever goes in. Usally a long contested 3 point heave.

Re: The way Miami goes early at the end of quarters.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 08:21:39 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I love that approach too. It give you more time in case you miss, and you have more opportunity to get a good luck when you don't run the clock down.

It's also important to be confident in your defense and it reinforces the importance of defense to the players.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I love that approach too. It give you more time in case you miss, and you have more opportunity to get a good luck when you don't run the clock down.

It's also important to be confident in your defense and it reinforces the importance of defense to the players.

I hope Brad will add this as a new wrinkle next year.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 11:03:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Such a refreshing way to play, isn't it? Seeing us just dribble out the clock at the end of every quarter kills me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:11 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Such a refreshing way to play, isn't it? Seeing us just dribble out the clock at the end of every quarter kills me

The worst part is that it doesn't work.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 11:33:02 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
crap!  I wish Brad had thought of it....

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't mind the concept of getting a 2 for 1 or going for the last shot, but our team - especially Tatum and Kemba - need to realize it isn't all about them. Isos at the end of the quarter are the most predictable and the toughest way to generate a good shot. Tatum is young so I am hoping he learns to better value possessions in the [near] future.

It's an interesting wrinkle that MIA throws in, though. They get an unexpected good shot while the other team goes for the difficult iso shot. I think there are ways to incorporate both.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I don't mind the concept of getting a 2 for 1 or going for the last shot, but our team - especially Tatum and Kemba - need to realize it isn't all about them. Isos at the end of the quarter are the most predictable and the toughest way to generate a good shot. Tatum is young so I am hoping he learns to better value possessions in the [near] future.

It's an interesting wrinkle that MIA throws in, though. They get an unexpected good shot while the other team goes for the difficult iso shot. I think there are ways to incorporate both.

Yeah, mix it up. That's what I'm saying. Don't let the other team off the hook by doing the same thing over and over. You don't even have to really guard the other players on those end of the quarter isos.