Author Topic: Nice piece on "most hated Celtics" Rick Fox and Brian Shaw  (Read 10120 times)

Re: Nice piece on "most hated Celtics" Rick Fox and Brian Shaw
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Fox got his punishment on that FX show with Monica from friends...

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Fox got his punishment on that FX show with Monica from friends...

Dirt. Indeed.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:24 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
i liked shaw as a celt and after...i hated when the lakers beat portland in that choke show in 2000, but what everyone forgets is the show Shaw put on in the 4th quarter.

Fox, i hated as celt, i remember being so angry when we drafted, i wanted rodney monroe (guess fox was the better pick  :-\) Then I hated him even more as a laker, obviously.

But I will give him credit, he was pretty solid on Oz.  And i wont even get into the way he dropped the ball on his marriage to one of the best looking women ever.....not too mention the rumors surrounding it
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Shaw, mostly because i read that book about the 91 Celtics by Jack Macullum. The whole thing with the overseas contract, and him trying to get out of his Celtic deal... he seems like a huge scumbag to me.

Rick Fox just seems like he really enjoys the spotlight that is LA.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I vaguely remember Shaw on the team as I was pretty young at that point. As for Fox wasn't supposed to come back to us with the Payton deal? And he basically said that if he got traded to us that he would retire? Yup that was annoying even though i didn't want him at the time anyway. His comments also ticked me off during the '08 finals. Not that I can necessarily blame him for rooting for the lakers but....wait yes i can.

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
As for Fox wasn't supposed to come back to us with the Payton deal? And he basically said that if he got traded to us that he would retire? Yup that was annoying even though i didn't want him at the time anyway. His comments also ticked me off during the '08 finals. Not that I can necessarily blame him for rooting for the lakers but....wait yes i can.

Fox was unofficially retired before he was traded to us.  His career was over before that trade took place.  I think he had a foot injury the year before that basically ended his career.

And I'm going to echo what others have said about Fox.  I liked him.  Dude busted his butt when he was here.  And he wanted to stay here, but Pitino, in all his wisdom, decided the likes of Travis Knight would be a better investment.  So, like any sensible player would do after being cut, he signed with the best team available.

Rick Fox didn't let the Celtics down.  The Celtics let Rick Fox down.

But Shaw?  I never cared for him.  He always bugged me when he'd sub in on the early 00s Laker teams.  But the guy has had to deal with some serious heartache in his life (lost his parents and his sister in a carwreck n the early 90s), so he deserves credit for not going off the deep end.

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
When did these guys become the most hated Celtics? How come I never knew about it?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
When did these guys become the most hated Celtics? How come I never knew about it?

I guess since they played for the Lakers.

I've never really understood some Celtics fan's endless hate for the Lakers.  Sure, I don't care for them, but they're still just another team.  Some C's fans hatred for the Lakers boarders on obsession.

My take on it is that we're the greatest basketball organization on the planet.  Why worry so much about another team?  Leave that kind of stuff for the lesser teams.

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

My thoughts exactly.  Rick Fox was a solid player when he was here, one of the few good, consistent players during the dark 90's.  Pitino jettisoned him for no reason other than "they were 15-67 for a reason."  I liked Fox and while I wasn't exactly thrilled to see him excel as a Laker, I was actually fine with him winning championships.  After all, he did change his number from 44 to 17 in a quasi-tribute to his playing days in Boston (he later said it was because they were always building for #17).

As for Shaw, he wasn't here all that long, but he was pretty good.  He did have that dispute with his Italy contract but when he was here he played well.  I find it tough to hate either of these guys.

I think the real question here should be: Exactly how many Celtics related blogs/fansites exist now?  Out of control.

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
i liked shaw as a celt and after...i hated when the lakers beat portland in that choke show in 2000, but what everyone forgets is the show Shaw put on in the 4th quarter.

Fox, i hated as celt, i remember being so angry when we drafted, i wanted rodney monroe (guess fox was the better pick  :-\) Then I hated him even more as a laker, obviously.

But I will give him credit, he was pretty solid on Oz.  And i wont even get into the way he dropped the ball on his marriage to one of the best looking women ever.....not too mention the rumors surrounding it

Ahh, no way.  I thought he was terrible in Oz as Jackson Veyhu (spelling?).  He had all the acting intensity of a sea snail.  Not like your avatar Bodie Broadus, playing a one Kenny Wangler on Oz. 

AND I didn't have to look any of that up.  Wooooo!

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

Ahh, no way.  I thought he was terrible in Oz as Jackson Veyhu (spelling?).  He had all the acting intensity of a sea snail.  Not like your avatar Bodie Broadus, playing a one Kenny Wangler on Oz. 

tp,,ya fox wasnt that good on OZ, i just wanted to give OZ a shoutout.  And Bodie (JD Williams) was great as Wangler as always.  Im shocked he hasnt showed up on anything else recently
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Fox was a steady player for us, also our captain. He had the "Celtic Pride." He did play the villain role for LA but blame Pitino for releasing him. He did not leave us. As a Celtic he played above average defense, passed the ball and played the team game. He had back to back solid seasons. 14p 5.6r 4.6 asst and 15.4 5.2reb 3.8asst.  His 2.2 steals broke birds single game record.

Shaw was also solid for us. He had his best statistical season as a Celtic (13.8p 4.7r 7.6asst 47%fg. It all went downhill after the Sherman Douglas trade even though he played on some good Orlando and Laker teams.

So there is no reason to hate either of these guys in my opinion. The were solid players for us and they were sent packing by our former GMs.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I never had much hate for either of them.  I had much more of a problem with Pitino for letting Fox go, and replacing him with Travis Knight.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

tp,,ya fox wasnt that good on OZ, i just wanted to give OZ a shoutout.  And Bodie (JD Williams) was great as Wangler as always.  Im shocked he hasnt showed up on anything else recently

His role as Wangler was ok, but as Bodie he was great.  Most of the actors on The Wire turned in top tier performances.  It was always kind of odd to me how HBO would recycle actors, but I think it makes sense.  They have someone they know works well with whatever director so they bring them back.  But now that HBO's original series are slumping, we aren't seeing these actors/actresses so much.

Anyways, not to hijack the thread...I just don't get it.  I know Rick Fox wasn't a bad Celtic, and I know he didn't opt to leave.  But when he went to the Lakers, he played like a scum bag.  He flopped, he was dirty, and he bit into the whole LA drama queen factor.  Everything the opposite of what I want to see in an athlete's behavior.

I don't dislike him because of the ex-celtic thing.  I dislike him, and he's also an ex-celtic.