Author Topic: Boston locals... Any suggestions?  (Read 19588 times)

Re: Boston locals... Any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I like to go to Boston Beer Works before a game.  It is right across from the Garden, there is a small parking lot out behind the restaurant, and the food is pretty good.  They brew their own beer.  I suggest the Blueberry Ale.  Might want to get there a bit earlier to eat if you want to dodge the crowd though.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
Everybody else has made some great suggestions. Here are my two cents:

If you're into Sushi, you MUST go to Ma Soba! It's amazing, and you'll be surprised when the bill ends up being a little less than you would assume from the looks of the place and the quality of the food.

Also, just thought I'd warn you that while the game will still be fun, I wouldn't expect too lively of a crowd for an April Pistons game.
I understand it's not the Lakers game seven... Just wanted to get up this year and see the team before the nucleus breaks up. 

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just wanted to get up this year and see the team before the nucleus breaks up. 

Too late.  Dang you, Danny Ainge!!

(Just kidding...  Just wanted to inject some pro-Perk love into this thread.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Just wanted to get up this year and see the team before the nucleus breaks up. 

Too late.  Dang you, Danny Ainge!!

(Just kidding...  Just wanted to inject some pro-Perk love into this thread.)
I know... really hated to see that. We are gonna miss his toughness if we get late in the playoffs.

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk
I appreciate all the suggestions...

We for sure are going to tour Fenway and go to the Fours before the game...

Keep 'em coming...

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »

Offline mc11

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
If you want to venture out of the typical city limits you can ride the Greenline to Coolidge Corner (Brookline) where there are some small stores and some cool places to eat such as Zaftigs, JP Licks (also one on Newbury), Fugokyou, Ana's (as previously mentioned), Finale (dessert joint, also one downtown Boston).

You can ride the Redline I believe to Harvard Square where there are shops (Urban Outfitters, the Coop, GAP, Tannery, American Apparel, EMS, City Sports, Newbury Comics, Adidas) and eats. If you like Mexican food the best Mexican joint EVER is in Harvard Square, The Border Cafe. Be prepared to wait but the food is INSANE and the margaritas are stellar.

Stay away from Central Square Cambridge, its dirty and tons of homeless people.

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77

Stay away from Central Square Cambridge, its dirty and tons of homeless people.

But it does have a great music scene.

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »

Offline LoveTheTrade

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Take a duckboat tour.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Another vote here for the North End - it's just a 10-minute walk from the Garden. Tons of Italian restaurants and seafood (lobster roll at Neptune Oyster, pasta puttanesca at the Daily Catch, etc.) and good neighborhood color.

Davis Square in Somerville is two stops past Harvard Square on the Red Line and has plenty to do including Redbones BBQ, an old-school Irish pub called the Burren (no TV's, live music) and a notable dive called called the Sligo Pub that still smells like stale cigarettes seven years after Massachusetts banned smoking in bars.

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Keep 'em coming...

Here's another if you are into Boston/Massachusetts political history (I don't imagine you are, since you are from 'bama, but one never knows):
Doyle's Cafe at 3484 Washington St (closest public transportation is Green Street stop on the Orange Line).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hope "Bryant" is simply your last name.

Go do yourself a favor and order a Super Burrito @ Ana's Taqueria.
Is Ana's downtown?

It has quite a few locations:
http://www.annastaqueria.com/locations.htm

There's also Felipe's Taqueria, which is the same from the same family or something. That one was in Harvard Square when I was in Boston. Don't know what the current situation.

Haven't been in Boston since 2008.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'll be honest with you...you're a married guy from Alabama and never been to Boston.  If you don't like history, walking all day, get crammed into an old creaky train, trip over bricks and encounter a lot of rude people who aren't really interested in conversations then you'll hate Boston.  Having said that-

-Boston duck tour
-Fenway Park tour
-walk around Harvard Square and Harvard Yard
-walk the Freedom trail and go to all its big destinations (Park Street Church, Old North Church, Bunker Hill monument, State House, Old State House, Granary Burial Grounds)
-hit up the classic bars on Canal Street (Sullivan's Tap, the Fours- this actually was voted America's best sports bar in Sports Illustrated maybe 2005 or 2006?- World's Greatest Sports Bar, Hurricane O'Reillys)
-check out Red's statue on Fanueil Hall (pronounced as Fannel, not Fan-yoo-ell)
-don't say "yeah baby we're in beantown!" "yeah baby, we're in Bah-ston!" is more appropriate
-picket for a Bill Russell statue in front of the Garden.

Hope you have a good time!
I agree about the Freedom Trail, but only if you like history.

That's the first time I've ever heard that you should pronounce it Fannel, unless you're trying to be funny.

And it's not Bah-ston, it's more like Bawston.  We go to bah's to drink.

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'll be honest with you...you're a married guy from Alabama and never been to Boston.  If you don't like history, walking all day, get crammed into an old creaky train, trip over bricks and encounter a lot of rude people who aren't really interested in conversations then you'll hate Boston.  Having said that-

-Boston duck tour
-Fenway Park tour
-walk the Freedom trail and go to all its big destinations (Park Street Church, Old North Church, Bunker Hill monument, State House, Old State House, Granary Burial Grounds)
-hit up the classic bars on Canal Street (Sullivan's Tap, the Fours- this actually was voted America's best sports bar in Sports Illustrated maybe 2005 or 2006?- World's Greatest Sports Bar, Hurricane O'Reillys)
-don't say "yeah baby we're in beantown!" "yeah baby, we're in Bah-ston!" is more appropriate

That's the first time I've ever heard that you should pronounce it Fannel, unless you're trying to be funny.

wickid p---ah bahs
Yup

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77

Keep 'em coming...

Here's another if you are into Boston/Massachusetts political history (I don't imagine you are, since you are from 'bama, but one never knows):
Doyle's Cafe at 3484 Washington St (closest public transportation is Green Street stop on the Orange Line).

The Sam Adams Brewery is a short distance from Doyle's Cafe.  They give free tours daily, followed by free samples of three beers, and they run a shuttle to Doyle's Cafe.  If you go there for lunch and order a Sam Adams beverage, you get to keep the specially designed glass it comes in (that goes for $8.50 in the Sam Adams gift shop).  The tours are pretty popular, informative and entertaining both.

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk

-Boston duck tour
-Fenway Park tour

I'm not from rural Alabama... I live on the coast... but I may throw out a few "yalls" in the fours before the game just for fun. Maybe that will get me a free beer... or on second thought, it may get me kicked out.