Author Topic: Chess anyone?  (Read 14302 times)

Re: Chess anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I haven't played since High School where my teacher said "You win on occasion because no one including yourself know what you're doing"

So I'm in with that ringing endorsement from 25 years ago!

username: Happyhippie

I'll be on most of the day trying to kill time before the game tonight.
ok fine

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I haven't played since High School where my teacher said "You win on occasion because no one including yourself know what you're doing"

just added you on lichess

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
If there are at least 6-7 guys here who wants to play, maybe we can organize a tournament. My lichess name is the same as here vgulab.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm rondofan

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
If there are at least 6-7 guys here who wants to play, maybe we can organize a tournament. My lichess name is the same as here vgulab.

yep, i was thinking about a tourney too. we ll have to make the timezones work but should still be possible.

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Which prog you guys use? Chess time?

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Which prog you guys use? Chess time?

https://lichess.org/

PS I'm online rn

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Played a few today and got, how do you say in english....SKUNKED?!

ok fine

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
What platform? 
Diggles

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 02:09:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
What platform?

if you sign up, add me, im greece666 there too

actually, playing before celtics games might be what works best. if there are enough ppl next time we can have a quick tourney.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 02:33:14 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I love chess. Great idea, OP! If anyone wants to play on the free chess.com app, I would love to play. Easy layout, great lessons/tactics/tutorials.

The good thing about the app is you can move at your leisure. You can also do timed games.

IMO, it’s the best way to get games going with friends who don’t have time to sit down exactly when you do.

If anyone is interested, PM me or post here and we can start playing.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 02:39:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I love chess. Great idea, OP! If anyone wants to play on the free chess.com app, I would love to play. Easy layout, great lessons/tactics/tutorials.

The good thing about the app is you can move at your leisure. You can also do timed games.

IMO, it’s the best way to get games going with friends who don’t have time to sit down exactly when you do.

If anyone is interested, PM me or post here and we can start playing.

jk  ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I’m interested, please post that link

it only works when we both are available to play.

in any case, this is the site, im greece666 there, add me if you make an account

just for demo purposes an invite would look like that (click on the play with a friend button)

https://lichess.org/QcX6IkgS

Thanks for this link; I'll check this site out.  Haven't played in years, but I captained my high school chess team during my juinor and senior years.  We were really good during the latter campaign, going to the county finals.  I won my game on 2nd board, but in the last game on 3rd board, needing only a draw, our player left his rook en prise...! 

Have you ever played Go?

I tried Go but I had trouble understanding what was happening. If someone can guide me through a bit, I can give it another try. Another game I like is Stratego - I know the Dutch like it, don't know about the US, although iirc there are some masters from there.

You obv are a much better player than me lol, I was playing for our second team that competed in less important events- and nowhere close the second table. And yes, it sucks to lose games this way. In Greece we have a special word for what your teammate did, it could be translated as "sacriprise"  ;D

I love chess stories, and have lots of them, involving drunk Belarusians, gambling Greeks and more  ;D

And sure lichess is a p good site. ICC used to be the big chess site, but once lichess appeared it became completely dominant. Talking of sites https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/ is p good, IMO it is better moderated than most reddit subs. And for the laughs you can try https://www.reddit.com/r/AnarchyChess/ eg

@Celtics4ever sure let me know when you can. Will be a pleasure.

In any case, I ll be here on Sunday and post a link on time.

If you can play chess at a reasonable level, you can play Go, but they are quite different.  In the latter, you must see what is immediately before you, but also the entire board, and everything on it.  If you're good at it, which I am not, every move is not only a single move, but also like a series of moves to be sensed on every imaginable level, like a game of 3-D chess.

I also grew up playing Stratego, and I've never lost a game in my life.  It's all in how you set your pieces up to begin the game, IMHO. 

'Sacriprise?'  That's outstanding!  After the lethal error, he resigned, and I was able to resist the temptation to resort to violence, and as captain of the team, I put an arm around him and comforted him, but it wasn't easy.  ;)

Thanks again for the links, I'll check them out this weekend. 

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 04:10:05 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
should give GO another try then

that was p nice of you actually. my greek teammates were p judgemental when someone made a blunder.

greek chess players have a funny jargon btw, instead of the "standard" greek words we use french derivatives for king, queen and bishop in oral speech which means you can tell who has played for a club in a split second.

regarding stratego, IMO there is almost as much variance in skill as in chess.

http://www.stratego.com/en/play/ is the only site bcs Hasbro games has the rights - I find this monopoly really annoying tbh, they will only allow for one variant and only one kind of time control.

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The same people that created lichess, created a site for draughts. Thought it would be better to post here than start a new thread.
I go by the same username, and there are very few players rn.
https://lidraughts.org/