Author Topic: Trade Idea - Irving to the Knicks  (Read 4024 times)

Trade Idea - Irving to the Knicks
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
After the deal with Marcus Smart happening it made me think about our direction long term.  Don't get me wrong I love Irving but I don't know if he loves Boston or wants out.  With the rumor of Kyrie Irving wanting to play with the Knicks and Butler, why not speed up the process.  The Knicks have some young pieces that I'd like.

Celtics Trade
Irving
Yabusele
Nader
Celtics 2019 1st
Memphis 2019 1st

Knicks Trade
Kevin Knox
Kanter (matching money plus up after this year)
Ntilikina

We get two 1st round players, Knox and Ntilikina would be nice off the bench for years.  Knox gives us that scoring off the.bench.  We should resign Rozier at this point similar money to Smart.  We're able to trade away 2 of the first round picks and we're able to know the two players we get right away than draft.

I know this is a crazy idea but the Smart deal got me thinking who I'd rather keep long term, plus money wise and putting together I better 1-14. 

Re: Trade Idea - Irving to the Knicks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
No, thank you.

You don’t trade players like Kyrie. There’s no way you’re getting a good enough return. You especially don’t trade a top nba player for a couple of giant question marks.

When you’re trying to win a championship, you should never ever ever downgrade the team in the short term for long term potential. Breaking a dollar into what probably isn’t 4 quarters is devastating to our championship window. Knox and Frankie Smokes might someday be good, but there’s little chance that either of the approaches Kyrie’s level of success.

I get where you’re coming from. You want to make sure the C’s don’t lose Kylie to a division rival for nothing. It’s a risk. But when there’s no chance of getting any value for him and you hurt our champion window, our best option is just to sit and hope.

Tl;dr: can’t trade Irving. Danny hangs up if the Knicks offer that package.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:01:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What in the world?

Why are we giving up picks in this deal? This deal isn't fair without picks, much less with the picks.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No way I'd trade Kyrie for Knox + Ntilikina, much less give up two firsts as well.

This is a horrible trade for the C's.

Personally speaking, I'd be willing to trade Kyrie for KAT + fillers. Maybe we throw in a non-Kings first as well. Don't think the Wolves would be interested in such a trade. Just saying.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:11:49 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
IF you were sure that Kyrie would not resign and IF you had worries about his knee, then maybe you consider trading him to the Knicks but only if Porzingis is coming back and only after Porzingis is back on the court and at full strength.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celts are the favorites to win the East and have a puncher's chance at winning the Finals.

Even if there's a good chance Kyrie leaves (I'm not convinced), you don't mess with that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You only trade Kyrie if he tells you he wants out. Otherwise you contend this year and try to retain him.

If he demands a trade sure, shop him. But as we just saw with Kawhi you aren't getting a high level prospect in that situation....

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
OK, if the OP wants to play, I guess off-season is the time.

How about Kyrie for Porzingis + salary filler?

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think it's probably 70/30 Kyrie returns atm but don't know how the season progresses.

Frankly I'd just as soon let him walk then worry about trading him. You just pay Rozier and move on..

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Hey, we were a whisker away from the championship series without Kyrie, without Hayward and without DTheis.  If you want to get radical how bout sending GH back to Utah, along WITH Kyrie, for Gobert, Rubio, and Sefalosha(to make the money work)?  We almost made it without KI and GH, so wouldn't the best shot blocker in the league, along with a great facilitator and all three good defenders possibly put us in?  Saves us about 8-10 mil on top of it.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
OP trade is horrible!  You have to be a Knicks fan to propose that trade!

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I know there is a Forum Topic for "Trade Ideas."

Can we create another category for "Dumb Trade Ideas?"

And file this as Exhibit A??

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
taking the picks out of it, the problem with the trade is why the heck would the Celtics want Ntilikina.  I get he may have some value, but he would clearly be behind both Rozier and Smart on the depth chart, so why bring him on.  Kanter doesn't do much for the roster and Knox isn't worth anywhere near Irving aside from the fact that he would be at best the 4th best wing on the team.  So even without the picks, I don't see why Boston would ever consider that trade as it just doesn't make sense.  Now if there was a 3rd team that wanted those assets and sent Boston a star, then maybe you consider the trade (like 2 days ago if Boston sent a pick and the Knicks players to the Spurs and acquired Leonard, then maybe)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
We're able to trade away 2 of the first round picks

This was the weirdest part of a really weird post. OP makes it sound as though we're looking to dump 1st rd picks, you know, like all teams are. That looks like something Billy King said during the KG/Pierce trade.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
taking the picks out of it, the problem with the trade is why the heck would the Celtics want Ntilikina.  I get he may have some value, but he would clearly be behind both Rozier and Smart on the depth chart, so why bring him on.  Kanter doesn't do much for the roster and Knox isn't worth anywhere near Irving aside from the fact that he would be at best the 4th best wing on the team.  So even without the picks, I don't see why Boston would ever consider that trade as it just doesn't make sense.  Now if there was a 3rd team that wanted those assets and sent Boston a star, then maybe you consider the trade (like 2 days ago if Boston sent a pick and the Knicks players to the Spurs and acquired Leonard, then maybe)
Ntilikina can play off the ball on both sides of the court.

- 6'5 (possibly without shoes), 7'1 wingspan --> can defend multiple positions
- Decent spot up shooter (solid mechanics --> chances are that he 'll improve over time)

Neither Smart nor Rozier can flourish off the ball. Smart is a terrible shooter. He needs the ball in his hands on offense in order to create for his teammates. Rozier is a better shooter than Smart, but he is a score-first PG. He also wants the ball in his hands in order to create for himself. On the defensive side of the ball, he is a good on-ball defender and that's about it.

Personally speaking, I really like Ntilikina. Having said that, the trade proposed by the OP is just a horrible trade for the C's.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:56:53 AM by Jvalin »