Author Topic: A convert and a rookie or two  (Read 1936 times)

A convert and a rookie or two
« on: January 15, 2020, 06:49:43 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Gordon is a fine basketball player much like Horford was. I was ignorant to how skilled he is with his playmaking, defence and BBIQ. The multiple fakes sometimes three before he passes to his original target.
The slow motion way he traverses the paint to his fall away ,the smooth backdoor cuts as he integrates his all around game to his teammates.
He is such a complimentary player to Kemba both veteran all stars willing to let the kids get their shots.
It was a tectonic shift that came from watching Hayward closely and not getting distracted by Jaylen's speed and loud dunks or Jayson's step back threes, his fall away shots from mid range and polished offensive game for so soo young. Haywards game will age well and he is in early prime.
Hayward is the definition of a point forward and Romeo should watch his all around game.

Also a Grant Williams convert with his improved 3 point shot. After that disastrous early season nightmare start that would have broken most rookies .His defence is improving.
It was difficult for me to warm up to another tweener with a short NBA wingspan especially teamed up with Ojeleye.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:40:49 AM by rollie mass »

Re: A convert
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I agree about Hayward's game ageing well. I think he has 4-5 more years of this level (16-6-4) left in him, alongside solid defence and good efficiency both shooting and handling the ball, and for that reason I am more than happy to give him big money to stick around.

I think his ability to play-make helps our other two wings generate offence too. Hayward is often able to find them in good spots, and is more than happy to take a back-seat to anyone (almost too happy sometimes). The offence just flows when he's got the ball.

Grant has a similar ability, but to a lesser extent obviously. Unselfish to a tee, and is always doing the team thing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: A convert and a rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Right on time last night Gordon but tonight will be the real test. Not only for him but Semi and Williams.

There is no resemblance to James Young as Romeo has no fear or problems heading for the rim. He took a hard charge from Drummond and uses his wingspan for offensive weakside rebounding that led to a put back. .He brought the ball up looking to go downhill but saw no seam and slowly put the brakes on and passed the ball. The right play but he was looking hard .
.He has that scorers mentality and after just standing in corner. It seems as if Wanamaker will not make a play to Romeo's side .
 So in the short minutes, he tries to make something happen on offense,defence or rebounding.
He has the smooth speed and wingspan. the toughness to play through contact getting to rim or taking a charge from Drummond .Quite admiral but foolish. And add the desire to rebound offensively.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:58:03 AM by rollie mass »

Re: A convert and a rookie or two
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
If Tatum had Hayward's BBIQ, passing, and playmaking he would be an all star and potential MVP candidate.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Tatum had Hayward's BBIQ, passing, and playmaking he would be an all star and potential MVP candidate.
Well he's likely to be an all-star without those things.   ::)

Tatum seems to be a better defender than Hayward especially lately.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well he's likely to be an all-star without those things.   ::)

Tatum seems to be a better defender than Hayward especially lately.
Tatum with those things is better than Paul George probably
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I too like Romeo. He is a basketball player who is an athlete as well.
He does not seem to get the pass when he plays but he does what is asked well IMO. I am disappointed in Carsen now.I watch some of the Red Claws and his shooting was terrible. Hopefully his funk will end. Waters looked good as well. Takco seems to be getting better as well. I am hopeful he can gives us some minutes come April.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek