Author Topic: Bradley Beal?  (Read 9594 times)

Re: Bradley Beal?
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
Is Lillard & Beal much better than Lillard & McCollum?

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2023, 06:04:06 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think I’d swap JB for Beal at this point. He’s still in his prime and gave the Wizards 23pts/5ast/4rebs per game this season. Shooting splits of 50/36/84. He can dribble and I would trust his decision making a lot more than I do with Brown. I don’t have much confidence in JB anymore and he’s going to be 27 this year. Can’t say that he’s young and still learning the ropes at this stage. Plus, I’m pretty sure Tatum would be on board with adding his best friend to the roster.
  the issue is Beal makes something like 50m. You'd have to gut the team to get him.

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2023, 06:09:07 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Boston Celtics are NOT interested in Bradley Beal, their main priority is to extend Jaylen Brown

per Brian Windhorst
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2023, 06:11:28 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Brown, Gallo, Pritchard, Muscala plus Grant sign and trade for Beal, Gafford and Kispert. Not sure that works for either team, but if we are giving Brown away I would want to pick up Gafford and Kispert.

The Grant sign and trade would not have to be to Washington, but his salary I think would have to start at 18 by my calculations.

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2023, 06:12:34 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
The Boston Celtics are NOT interested in Bradley Beal, their main priority is to extend Jaylen Brown

per Brian Windhorst

They needed to put this out, good to see Brad/Wyc is paying attention to this stuff

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2023, 06:29:43 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
In a vacuum, it could make sense, especially because Beal is a very good ball handler and passer, and in that regard would be a big upgrade over Brown.

But we don’t live in a vacuum. The Celtics can not open this can of worms when it comes to potential leaks that that they’re entertaining trading Brown. If that gets out, you’ve got a potential firestorm that risks losing Brown for nothing.

The most logical path forward is to sign Brown to that mega extension, try and win the championship in 2023-24 with the same core, while hoping you retain the option of still trading him if you still want to once his extension kicks in. I think it’s likely you can still get value for Brown then, when at ~$50m per year, as there are always teams looking for stars, especially young ones, and even ones with flaws.

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2023, 06:48:45 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Rather have Kyle Kuzman
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2023, 08:20:46 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
In a vacuum, it could make sense, especially because Beal is a very good ball handler and passer, and in that regard would be a big upgrade over Brown.

But we don’t live in a vacuum. The Celtics can not open this can of worms when it comes to potential leaks that that they’re entertaining trading Brown. If that gets out, you’ve got a potential firestorm that risks losing Brown for nothing.

The most logical path forward is to sign Brown to that mega extension, try and win the championship in 2023-24 with the same core, while hoping you retain the option of still trading him if you still want to once his extension kicks in. I think it’s likely you can still get value for Brown then, when at ~$50m per year, as there are always teams looking for stars, especially young ones, and even ones with flaws.

It's the most streamline option at this point. We give it another go with our current core while adding more experience at coaching. The salary this year isn't a problem because Brown is still on his 'cheaper' deal. And if it doesn't work out, you sign Tatum to the supermax and then trade Brown. That way you trade a 27 year old Brown with 5 years on his contract - which will likely be more desirable than an expiring Brown. People right now are talking about trading Brown for the oft-injured Beal, who is older, more limited as a two-way player, and more injury-prone.

A really crazy option would have to be available to us in order to pull the trigger (like IT for Kyrie); otherwise, the options just don't sound all that amazing. We also know what we have with this group, so the floor should be at least ECSF and the ceiling is obviously a championship.

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2023, 08:59:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Rather have Kyle Kuzman

Who is this Kuzman you speak of?  :-\
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1253
Maybe Porzingis might be a better fit than Beal? Trading Beal would mean the Wizards going on a full rebuild right?

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2023, 09:24:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
No way I'd trade Brown straight up for Beal (if the dollars even worked, which they don't).  That said, I wouldn't mind Beal here. 

Beal for Brogdon, Rob, Pritchard, 24 1st, 26 1st, 28 1st (top 4), pick swaps in 25 and 27

That is a pretty solid rebuilding trade for the Wizards given the draft picks, Rob, and Pritchard.  They could move Brogdon for at least a couple of 2nd's if not a 1st (especially if they kept him a year)

Post-trade Boston with several open roster spots
Starters - Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Horford
Bench - White, Hauser, Grant, Gallinari, Muscala, Kornet, Champagnie, Davison

Team obviously needs another quality big, so I'd try to move White or Smart for a similar level of player that is a big (maybe Collins from Atlanta).  Or maybe a Brown for Towns type trade comes to be.  Just need another move to balance the roster more, but if you could get Beal while keeping Brown and Tatum, you have to do it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:31:59 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2023, 09:48:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Kendrick Perkins: Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum want to play together

Clutch Points: “Bradley Beal & Jayson Tatum has been the loudest secret ever as far as wanting to play with each other… If I’m the Celtics I’m calling them ASAP and try to get the deal done.” —Kendrick Perkins (via @ESPNNBA) pic.twitter.com/SvhGxcYtdH – via Twitter ClutchPointsApp
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2023, 10:01:30 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
No way I'd trade Brown straight up for Beal (if the dollars even worked, which they don't).  That said, I wouldn't mind Beal here. 

Beal for Brogdon, Rob, Pritchard, 24 1st, 26 1st, 28 1st (top 4), pick swaps in 25 and 27

That is a pretty solid rebuilding trade for the Wizards given the draft picks, Rob, and Pritchard.  They could move Brogdon for at least a couple of 2nd's if not a 1st (especially if they kept him a year)

Team obviously needs another quality big, so I'd try to move White or Smart for a similar level of player that is a big (maybe Collins from Atlanta).  Or maybe a Brown for Towns type trade comes to be.  Just need another move to balance the roster more, but if you could get Beal while keeping Brown and Tatum, you have to do it.

I'm with you. I posted a similar trade that included a 3rd team that would send one of our guards to them for more "rebuild" type assets for Washington. But Washington could always then move Brogdon (or Smart or White) for additional assets later.

Important to remember that Beal has a no-trade clause. So if he asks to be traded to Boston, that's pretty much what would happen. I'd say we have as good of a chance as anyone to land him.

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2023, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I'm with you. I posted a similar trade that included a 3rd team that would send one of our guards to them for more "rebuild" type assets for Washington. But Washington could always then move Brogdon (or Smart or White) for additional assets later.

Important to remember that Beal has a no-trade clause. So if he asks to be traded to Boston, that's pretty much what would happen. I'd say we have as good of a chance as anyone to land him.

That roster is smaller and worse. Giving up your starting center for Beal? Not me.

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2023, 10:16:06 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

That roster is smaller and worse. Giving up your starting center for Beal? Not me.

Smaller yes. Worse, I disagree. And not to quibble, but technically Rob wasn't our starting center this year.

I do tend to agree that we need some more size, but I'm not sure what may be available. Still, this trade makes the top end of our roster better, and it solves some of the shot creation problems we had against tougher defenses.