Author Topic: Let's Be Honest About The 15th Spot  (Read 9655 times)

Let's Be Honest About The 15th Spot
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The 15th and possibly 14th spot on the roster are still very much up for grabs.

We have solid coverage of the first 13 spots with:

Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Kevin Garnett
Rajon Rondo
Shaquille O Neal

Jermaine O Neal
Glen Davis
Delonte West
Marquis Daniels
Nate Robinson

Kendrick Perkins
Semih Erden
Avery Bradley

We have Luke Harangody signed to a 2 year deal if I am correct, and we have Von Wafer signed to a likely 'make good' contract. We have Stephan Lasme and Mario West on camp invite contracts.

The first 10 players I listed are all playing well in the pre season as is Erden. Perk and Avery are hurt and unlikely to be going anywhere. We couldnt trade them if we wanted to, not unless we take pennies on the dollar. I think we can safely assume these 13 will be on the opening day roster.

Here is my point and the reason for the thread. Do we really need anyone else who is currently in camp? I dont think we should keep any of the Lasme, Harangody, M. West or Wafer group just to fill a roster spot. None of them has performed particularly well in preseason or summer league. Sure, some brief moments of enthusiasm from Gody and Lasme but that isnt getting it done is it?

I predict we keep maybe one of this group and leave an empty roster slot going into the season with just 14 players, then look at camp castoffs for a 15th guy.

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Let's Be Honest About The 15th Spot
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I saw we sign Wafer and leave one spot open. Take Lasme and sign him to the D league. I think he could potentially grow into a decent lengthy defender. Hes got great athleticism.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Von Wafer is reported to be on a partially guaranteed contract.  Non-guaranteed contracts become fully vested on January 10.  Unless Wafer's has the sort of contract that becomes guaranteed if he is still on the roster by October 26 or somesuch date, then perhaps the only reason the Celtics would cut him and go with 14 players on the roster to start the season is if his mental instability makes him undesirable.  Harangody also won't be cut because of his contract.

For the first ten games of the season, Delonte West will be suspended.  With Perkins out and Bradley possibly still recovering, a roster of 14 might have the Celtics down to 11 players who can play.

The Celtics have three back-to-backs in those first ten games.  Given the age and durability questions surrounding Los Dos O'Neals, it's not impossible to imagine that one or the other may have limited minutes in the second game of a back-to-back.  Marquis Daniels is also brittle.

So, the 15th roster spot has a chance of instantly being the 12th man to start the season.  If no one impresses enough to win it outright, it will probably be Von Wafer just for the financial reasons.  It will be someone else if that player proves to be better than Wafer, probably not just in performance but also in terms of upside.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm surprised that so many people think that Harangody is on the bubble or that his spot is up for grabs.

The team just drafted him last spring and just signed him to a 2-year deal this summer. Is it likely they'll say "whoops, we were wrong, we'll just eat that contract and consider the pick wasted" after a few weeks of practice? Is it likely that they'll give up on a rookie who has never played pro ball so quickly, holding him to the exact same learning curve vet invitees with non-guaranteed deals are held to?

That just doesn't strike me as the team's usual policy.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I like lasme.. the little i see from him.
he can help our garbage time emotion
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm surprised that so many people think that Harangody is on the bubble or that his spot is up for grabs.

The team just drafted him last spring and just signed him to a 2-year deal this summer. Is it likely they'll say "whoops, we were wrong, we'll just eat that contract and consider the pick wasted" after a few weeks of practice? Is it likely that they'll give up on a rookie who has never played pro ball so quickly, holding him to the exact same learning curve vet invitees with non-guaranteed deals are held to?

I couldn't agree more.  Seems like this is one year when they are likely to carry 15 into Opening Night.  I mean, why not?  Danny has done a great job this off-season right down to the camp invites.  And between current injuries and the geriatrics that are in uniform, they need all the live bodies they can get a hold of.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
While you cant go by one game, Lasme played rings around Wafer tonight.  I have like Harangody since summer league. I don't know how he does it, but he is usually in the right spot for a rebound...I think Harangody get the 14th spot and the others will fight it out for the last spot or maybe go to the Red Claws.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

He is redundant. Very similar to Big Baby except he sucks. Lasme brings a lot more to the table with his defense and inside scoring. If he can guard big SF's like Lebron or Melo, Lasme is a keeper. Trade Luke & Keep Lasme.

Rondo/Nate/Avery
Ray/Delonte/Von
Pierce/Q/Lasme
KG/JO/Baby
Perk/ShaQ/Erden

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If I had the right to choose

god save us

i pick

Rondo,Nate,Avery
Ray, Delonte,
Pierce, Quisy, Lasme
KG, JO, BBD
Shaq, Perk, Sehmit

and..... Harangody

Sadly wafer just didnt show nothing at all, as in nothing nothing. of course i miss the toronto game but still...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Here's how it works: players on the bottom of the rotation are either marginal, insurance players or projects. In any case, the team won't be cutting guaranteed-contract filler for marginally better filler. Therefore, there will be no player on a guaranteed contract on this team that will be waived, and the 14th spot is not even close to being up for grabs. It's that simple.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Stephane Lasme is and will always be a better player than Luke Harangody. Doesn't mean he will make the team, but that is a fact.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
Stephane Lasme is and will always be a better player than Luke Harangody. Doesn't mean he will make the team, but that is a fact.

I don't think there's any way you can make this statement.  Lasme is more athletic - that makes him a somewhat better man-to-man defender and a much better shot blocker than Gody.  They're both extremely active, but Gody is a marginally better rebounder and is worlds better with the ball in his hands. 

They're apples and oranges as players, so it's hard to compare them at all.  But I don't think there's any good evidence to support the claim that Lasme "is and will always be" better than Harangody.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Wafer may make the team solely because of Delonte's upcoming suspension. We will need a backup SG for the first ten games, and I Bradley can't give that to us so soon because of the injury, and 'Quis will backup Pierce. Unless Doc is comfortable giving very important minutes to Lasme/Harangody to backup Pierce, or playing Nate as both backup to Rondo and Ray (or 'Quis backing up both Pierce and Ray), I think Wafer makes the team.

Assuming Wafer's contract becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the season, they won't just cut him after the 10th game, so look for him to get some PT here and there for some trade value and move him at the deadline (with BBD?).

Lasme could go to Maine as one of the last cuts. Once we dispose of Wafer either via trade or cut (I highly doubt he could outplay West for minutes) we could call him up for SF depth if we don't acquire a better option.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I wish we had drafted Stanley Robinson instead of Harangody. Pretty similar to Lasme but younger.  I never like Harangody's game and don't think he is an NBA player... He has heart which is good... but you need more than that. He has a PF body, with SF size and a coaches athleticism... I think he will a good D-League/Euro player. I can't see him being a solid rotational player.

I say we keep Lasme. Since Harangody is signed to 2 year deal I want to see him dominate in Maine and then traded for cash/a 2nd rounder in 2014 or packaged with Davis/Daniels/West (all of whom I like) for a SG/SF who can spell either shoot (i.e. Fernandez) or defend (Brewer).

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:40:09 AM »

Offline peazy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
From what I've seen, Lasme is a great energy shot, has springy athleticism, and the NBA 3 spot length to be a potentially good defender. He also comes up with some contributions now and again.
  I know he's not as touted as Wafer or Gody, but from all the preseason ball I've seen, it's Lasme.  In practice it'll be good to have his length, youth and pops at the 3 keeping those vets spry and ready for younger teams.  With his natural attributes he could develop as a defender.
  It's still early preseason, but my eyes tell me 15th spot to Lasme, D League Gody, and frankly I just haven't seen much from Wafer, at least yet.