Poll

Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?

Yes, trade them both for the best offer
6 (46.2%)
No. Must try to resign/extend both
5 (38.5%)
No. But unlikely will be extended after current contract
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?  (Read 5528 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gotta wait until Kemba & Teague return before we make decisions on Smart that are primarily based on his offensive failings
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta wait until Kemba & Teague return before we make decisions on Smart that are primarily based on his offensive failings
Funny thing is, Smart is having his finest year as a Celtic on the offensive side of the ball.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Funny thing is, Smart is having his finest year as a Celtic on the offensive side of the ball.

Agreed. Thru the first 8 games, 40.5% from 3, over six assists per game. But on this board he can’t shoot and doesn’t make plays. His offense is an adventure, obviously, but a lot of the criticisms aren’t fair.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Agreed. Thru the first 8 games, 40.5% from 3, over six assists per game. But on this board he can’t shoot and doesn’t make plays. His offense is an adventure, obviously, but a lot of the criticisms aren’t fair.
More of the criticism has been leveled at his genuinely pathetic shooting percentage inside the arc and his much worse defence this season.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

More of the criticism has been leveled at his genuinely pathetic shooting percentage inside the arc and his much worse defence this season.

By my count, he has single handedly sabotaged two games for us (out of 9 games!)

I think the first one was the Detroit game where he killed momentum with bad passes and bad shots. We lost that one (but still had a chance to win it)

The second one was this Heat game. Again, just bad shots. Good thing we won this one.

It’s just amplified because he’s our PG. If your point guard has questionable decision making down the stretch or plays erratically, the team suffers for it. Elite teams don’t need their best player to be their PG but the common trend is that all great teams have steady PG’s.

- LilRip

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
None of those guys have made Smart expendable.  The issue right now with him is offensive role.  That should be remedied to a good extent pretty easily via lineups and the return of Teague.

Why doesn't it get remedied by the Head Coach telling Marcus Smart when not to shoot the ball and jerk him if he doesn't cooperate ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
None of those guys have made Smart expendable.  The issue right now with him is offensive role.  That should be remedied to a good extent pretty easily via lineups and the return of Teague.

Why doesn't it get remedied by the Head Coach telling Marcus Smart when not to shoot the ball and jerk him if he doesn't cooperate ?

Brad is probably grateful for all Marcus has done, turns a blind eye to hero ball and has faith that it will workout

Just like when he leaves a lineup on the floor for too long, and lead evaporate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:25:26 AM by Tr1boy »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Not really. He's just hitting threes at the moment.

Because Walker is out he gets considerably more on ball time, so he logs a couple more assists. He's got all the same warts. He doesn't have NBA level skills as a scorer/penetrator inside the arc. He's a respectable passer, but is still a ball stopper and still makes stupid decisions due to an inability to understand his limitations.

But we know the cycle. Due to his playing style, he inevitably gets dinged up, he misses a couple of games, breaking his rhythm, and his quickness and finishing ability go from bad to worse. He will have a dismal stretch of shooting. He will end up shooting 35% or so from 3's, not 40%.

This isn't about whether the ball is going in a bit more. He's approaching 27. He doesn't accept who he is or what his role should be. In his entire career, his only offensive evolution was to go from horrible to tolerable as a 3 point shooter.

If he just generally accepted his role, he would be every bit as valuable as many Celtics fans believe him to be. But he won't.

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
CBS and Danny need to sit down Smart and tell him he can be one of the all-time great defenders if he just focuses exclusively on defense and facilitation on offense (that is, stop spending time trying to be a better shooter because you’ll always be a poor shooter; stop taking bad shots, especially at the end of a game). If Smart goes into next year and amps up this shooting nonsense to a ridiculous level because he’s in a contract year, I’d trade him if it was contributing to numerous losses. Otherwise, we’re probably going to get him re-signed for $10-15 mil./year for four years. If he instead focuses even more of his energy on defense and passing and ends up winning DPOY this year and/or next, we’re happily looking at that but it’ll probably cost us north of $20 mil./year (HOF-caliber defense is worth it, if he can really reach that next pinnacle level).

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Quick question, after Tatum and Brown, who do the Celtics trust the most on offense at the moment?   

Smart being the third trusted guy is what happens when Walker is hurt and Hayward leaves.  Do you really want.....   I don't even know what name to put there.... taking the shots?

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I find Smart frustrating but I really do think he tries to over compensate for the lack of options during the playoffs and right now. He considers himself a leader and as a result feels like he needs to step up the moment the team is struggling. I think some order might come back once Teague and later on Kemba come back. Overall, I think he’s been pretty good overall from a forcing it perspective this year. Last game he wasn’t great but I do think his overall shot selection has been a little better so far, at least from 3.

It’s honestly hard to argue sometimes because for every time Smart takes an ill advised shot, he’s going to have a game where he’s unconscious and legit wills you to a win (like the playoffs vs the Raptors). It pains me to say this because I’m not his biggest fan but there is really something to be said with having one of those irrational confidence guys on your roster. I think the issue is having the surrounding cast in place around him and then he’ll fall in line. Issue is Cs right now are out Kemba.

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Trade 'em both while you still can.

I disagree with trading Theis. He’s been a solid contributor/hustler, is popular in the locker room, and provides depth at a relatively cheap rate. No team is going to give up something more valuable (not even a protected first rounder) than what Theis gives us, too. We need greater bench strength and I can see Theis being one of the pillars of our bench the next 2-4 years.   

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Quick question, after Tatum and Brown, who do the Celtics trust the most on offense at the moment?   

Smart being the third trusted guy is what happens when Walker is hurt and Hayward leaves.  Do you really want.....   I don't even know what name to put there.... taking the shots?

Right now, as crazy as it sounds, it might be Pritchard.

Celts need Kemba & Teague back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I would think long and hard about a Zach Lavine and Wendell Carter Jr for Smart and Theis deal.

As much as I'd never want to trade Smart this is a deal that is appealing.  But at the end of the day Smart is the heart of this team.  Right now he's being asked to do a lot more because of the injuries.  Smart is also hurt as well.  I agree I hated him taking that last shot.  You know the 2minute report would come out stating they missed a foul on that last shot.  As another poster said they rarely call a foul, unless blatant, in the last play of a game. 

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart being the leader of the team is his greatest intangible; his elite team defense and ability to guard 1-4 at a high level is a great asset to this team. His judgment on offense and crunch time can be erratic and costly, but with everything that he brings including being a part of 3 EC finalists, respect is due and he should only be traded for another veteran leader, who excels on defense and doesn’t need the ball to be effective preferably a floor general.

I advocated for Paul before the Suns trade and with the success in Phoenix, he will not be available. The only other option that fits the description and could be available is Kyle Lowry.

Unless it’s for Lowry, I pass on trading him.