Author Topic: Tristan Thompson Buyout?  (Read 14370 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson Buyout?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 08:46:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Thompson....isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back. 
No reason in the world? You mean other than wanting to give a player that "isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way" a guaranteed $80-100 million?

So there is no chance that Cleveland wouldn't want to shell out 9 figures for a guy that even though he plays hard and in the right way isn't talented enough to make a difference in the win column at all?
so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? That is why context of the entire post I made matters and not just a small part.  There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless he starts to make a stink, which he hasn't done.
Way to move goalposts. You said:

There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back.

Now you are only talking about:

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? ...There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless...

YOU made the comment about not bringing him back that makes no logical sense. I just pointed it out. Why you are asking me about buying TT out, I do not know, because I was talking about Cleveland bringing him back, not buying him out.
It was in relation to whole line of posts with all sorts of context of why they wouldn't buy him out.  One of the many reasons is they actually might want to keep his rights to re-sign him themselves (they could also potentially sign and trade him if a team over the cap but below the tax wants him i.e. either LA team).

You could just admit it is really unlikely they resign a guy 10 years older than their key players in the prime of his career that is going to command 12-15 million a season. It was a bad concept to begin with and it hasn’t got any better with any of your explanations. In a normal year I think he would get traded easily, but a team like the lakers and many other contenders (including us) don’t have the salary slots to make a trade work
Or maybe the guy from the greater Cleveland area might actually hear all of the stories from those that cover the team a lot more often then the people not from the greater Cleveland area.

Like this story  https://www.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/12/c07b1bb70f4134/will-cleveland-cavaliers-keep-tristan-thompson-beyond-the-trade-deadline-hey-chris.html

Notice this part from Chris Fedor (the main Cavs beat writer for the Plain Dealer)

That's what makes the Thompson conversation complicated. Thompson is the piece the Cavs would most want to retain beyond this season. The organization loves him. Sources say they would be interested in making him part of this growing core.

Thompson's a great leader and role model for the young guys, someone who embodies what it means to be a Cavalier. Both Kevin Porter Jr. and Darius Garland have said they have no clue where the team would be in the first month-plus without Thompson and Kevin Love. Upbeat and bringing positive energy every day, Thompson is one of the hardest workers on the team. His impact is tough to measure because it stretches beyond the box score. Setting aside the talent for a moment, having the right people in a rebuild will often determine whether it's successful.

His early-season performance factors into this discussion as well. Healthy, rejuvenated, free from any distractions and, yes, in a contract year, Thompson is putting up career numbers and has become a stabilizing force. He's back to playing like it's 2016, when he was instrumental in the Cavs winning the NBA title. He can, no doubt, help a contender. The Cavs could probably get a late first-round pick in return.

or this one https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/will-the-cavaliers-trade-tristan-thompson-or-try-to-re-sign-him-at-the-end-of-the-season-it-seems-8VpCQ0Ut3Em0Po-qfM12sA

Or countless others. 

The Cavs like what Thompson brings to the team and they like him.  Thompson seemingly likes Cleveland. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Lakers or bust for him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Thompson....isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way, is well liked, etc.  There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back. 
No reason in the world? You mean other than wanting to give a player that "isn't going to hurt their draft position, but plays hard, plays the right way" a guaranteed $80-100 million?

So there is no chance that Cleveland wouldn't want to shell out 9 figures for a guy that even though he plays hard and in the right way isn't talented enough to make a difference in the win column at all?
so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? That is why context of the entire post I made matters and not just a small part.  There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless he starts to make a stink, which he hasn't done.
Way to move goalposts. You said:

There is absolutely no reason in the world, the Cavs wouldn't bring him back.

Now you are only talking about:

so why buy him out? Why not just let him walk? ...There is absolutely no reason for the Cavs to buy out Thompson unless...

YOU made the comment about not bringing him back that makes no logical sense. I just pointed it out. Why you are asking me about buying TT out, I do not know, because I was talking about Cleveland bringing him back, not buying him out.
It was in relation to whole line of posts with all sorts of context of why they wouldn't buy him out.  One of the many reasons is they actually might want to keep his rights to re-sign him themselves (they could also potentially sign and trade him if a team over the cap but below the tax wants him i.e. either LA team).

You could just admit it is really unlikely they resign a guy 10 years older than their key players in the prime of his career that is going to command 12-15 million a season. It was a bad concept to begin with and it hasn’t got any better with any of your explanations. In a normal year I think he would get traded easily, but a team like the lakers and many other contenders (including us) don’t have the salary slots to make a trade work
m
Not surprisingly Tristan Thompson has asked to be traded. Lol https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257060/Tristan-Thompson-Seeking-Trade-From-Cavaliers-By-Deadline

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Would he even crack the rotation here in Boston?

Fair argument that Theis has outplayed him thus far this season. Played better defensively and offensively than Thompson. Thompson is a better rebounder but Boston do those gains make up for the losses on defense & offense?

Then relative to Kanter. More solid defense than Kanter but Kanter a lot better offensively. Which guy would you rather have coming off the bench? Buyers choice to me. Close call.

Tristan Thompson would be great to have as a 3rd string C but he is too good for such a role. And I don't see him being an upgrade over either of the two guys we have ahead of him / here already.

----------------------------

It is not like Thompson is some great defender. He is an undersized center. He gives you less shot blocking than Theis. He gets overmatched against bigger centers like Theis. He is mobile but unspectacular on the perimeter defensively. Thompson frequently coasts on defense and spent his career doing enough to get by rather than trying to excel on defense. He has underperformed on defense for most of his career.

Offensively, he is a garbage man. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he is a useful player. A solid rotation big man. But we got two of those already in Theis and Kanter. I don't see the upgrade. More different than better.

Surely Thompson will have better opportunities elsewhere if he is bought out. Like the LA Clippers who are starting Zubac (3rd string center). Thompson is a good upgrade on him. Gets a starting role. Plays more minutes. Plays on the prohibitive favourite for the title. That looks a heck of a lot more attractive than coming to Boston to be in a 3 way fight for any playing time at all.

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Would he even crack the rotation here in Boston?

Fair argument that Theis has outplayed him thus far this season. Played better defensively and offensively than Thompson. Thompson is a better rebounder but Boston do those gains make up for the losses on defense & offense?

Then relative to Kanter. More solid defense than Kanter but Kanter a lot better offensively. Which guy would you rather have coming off the bench? Buyers choice to me. Close call.

Tristan Thompson would be great to have as a 3rd string C but he is too good for such a role. And I don't see him being an upgrade over either of the two guys we have ahead of him / here already.

----------------------------

It is not like Thompson is some great defender. He is an undersized center. He gives you less shot blocking than Theis. He gets overmatched against bigger centers like Theis. He is mobile but unspectacular on the perimeter defensively. Thompson frequently coasts on defense and spent his career doing enough to get by rather than trying to excel on defense. He has underperformed on defense for most of his career.

Offensively, he is a garbage man. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he is a useful player. A solid rotation big man. But we got two of those already in Theis and Kanter. I don't see the upgrade. More different than better.

Surely Thompson will have better opportunities elsewhere if he is bought out. Like the LA Clippers who are starting Zubac (3rd string center). Thompson is a good upgrade on him. Gets a starting role. Plays more minutes. Plays on the prohibitive favourite for the title. That looks a heck of a lot more attractive than coming to Boston to be in a 3 way fight for any playing time at all.

I think he would surely play over Kanter is most playoff situations. Its gonna be hard to have someone like Kanter who can't move his feet playing against any team with decent guards. Dude has been pretty god this year. There are certain matchups you'd probably even have him over Theis, both are undersized but Thompson is MUCH stronger which matters.

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I also Think Thompson would be our starting center if we got him. I don't think he is the most amazing player in the world, but he can handle the punishment of a starting center like Embid better than Theis could and Theis would get really banged up and worn down going against Embid 5-6 games (provided Embid is healthy and playing in the playoffs).

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
What’s the difference between him and Kanter?

I think Theis has been playing great and we already have the same skill-set in Kanter.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Everyone realizes that he is essentially the same height and weight as Daniel Theis? He's a bit more athletic, obviously, but if Theis can't hang with Embiid because of his size then neither can Thompson.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »

• Paul Silas
Stats this year comparing the two.

Theis is a better team defender with more blocks and steals per 36. He's a better shooter. His rebounds are slightly lower, but I don't think the difference between the two is much if any.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id1_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id1=thomptr01&y1=2020&player_id2_hint=Daniel+Theis&player_id2_select=Daniel+Theis&y2=2020&player_id2=theisda01&idx=players

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Everyone realizes that he is essentially the same height and weight as Daniel Theis? He's a bit more athletic, obviously, but if Theis can't hang with Embiid because of his size then neither can Thompson.
Thompson is a lot stronger than Theis.  Here is their head to head in their careers.  Thompson actually holds his own and does ok against Embiid, even in the 2 games this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2=thomptr01&idx=players

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »

• Paul Silas
Thompson is a lot stronger than Theis.  Here is their head to head in their careers.  Thompson actually holds his own and does ok against Embiid, even in the 2 games this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2_select=Tristan+Thompson&player_id2=thomptr01&idx=players

Maybe.

In three games this year against Theis, Embiid is averaging 21 and 10 on 39% shooting.

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Maybe.

In three games this year against Theis, Embiid is averaging 21 and 10 on 39% shooting.

I would take that line from him all day and twice on Sundays. He put up counting stats against Baynes and Horford the last two years but still hurt the Sixers because he shot a low percentage and because he posted up again and again, killing the flow of the offense.

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Maybe.

I would take that line from him all day and twice on Sundays. He put up counting stats against Baynes and Horford the last two years but still hurt the Sixers because he shot a low percentage and because he posted up again and again, killing the flow of the offense.
Well, that was mainly because he couldn't move Baynes on his post ups, which was a huge reason why the Celtics throttled the 76ers in the playoffs in 2018. Put Baynes on this current team and I would have no doubt about us stomping Philly in a seven-game series.

All things considered, Theis has done a fine job on Embiid this season, but I am a bit concerned having him guard Embiid for extended stretches in the playoffs. Kanter is the best guy on our team for the job, and luckily, the 76ers are one of the few teams who can't really take full advantage of Kanter on the perimeter, but I would still rather have another beefier big up front.

I'm not saying Thompson is the answer, and in most situations, I would actually prefer Theis because he is much more versatile, but it couldn't hurt to have another body to throw at Embiid (and even guys like Gasol and Sabonis). I was hoping Poirier would be that guy, but based on how little he has played, it seems pretty clear that Brad doesn't trust him.

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2020, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe.

Are you including the game that Theis played 10 minutes while Embiid was at 23 or the game where Theis played 24 and Embiid was at 36.  The game on the weekend, Embiid was awful, though I recall a lot times when Theis wasn't in the game while Embiid was or when someone like Semi was guarding Embiid.

Thompson generally guards Embiid and generally plays when Embiid does.  that isn't the case with Theis.

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Maybe.

Are you including the game that Theis played 10 minutes while Embiid was at 23 or the game where Theis played 24 and Embiid was at 36.  The game on the weekend, Embiid was awful, though I recall a lot times when Theis wasn't in the game while Embiid was or when someone like Semi was guarding Embiid.

Thompson generally guards Embiid and generally plays when Embiid does.  that isn't the case with Theis.
You didn't seem to have any problem including a game where Embiid played 34 minutes and Thompson had just 21.

Pot meet kettle.